Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 PM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Trump is making it new all over again, every time he opens his mouth. Even his own party is horrified.
"Even his own party is horrified."

Correction. The party elites ARE HORRIFIED because they will lose CONTROL.

The people of the party made him their candidate through the election process even though the elites treid every thing they could to stop him, and couldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 01:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't care for him at all but he has really gone beyond crazy and he's the candidate that won the nomination.

The democrats are split in half, Paul Ryan endorsed him and he felt a need for this, very strange.
His reactions and statements make no sense.
What's bizarre is that it was an unforced error. The judge wasn't a political or campaign issue nor had anyone asked about him. Trump created the whole issue out of thin hot air because he's mad about the ruling.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:51 PM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
But that's NOT what he said. He said this judge has a conflict of interest because of his association with La Raza (the REAL racists in this situation). It's a conflict of interest because Trumps wants to secure the border and La Raza is staunchly in favor of totally open borders.

Leftists, who regularly brag about their grasp of nuance, seem pathologically incapable of grasping anyone's nuance beyond their own.
Quote:
He's a Mexican! He's a Mexican! He's a Mexican!

That's Trump's only real objection, because he can't point to a single instance in the judge's record that proves he is biased in any way.

All Trump has got is:

He's a Mexican! He's a Mexican! He's a Mexican!

And yes, that's racist. Even many Republicans are admitting as much. It's just the cult who refuses to acknowledge it.
"because he can't point to a single instance in the judge's record that proves he is biased in any way.'

Read the post above yours.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:59 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This is What Overt Racism Looks Like

Take a good look.
Really??
You thought that was clever?

Old 06-06-2016, 02:06 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
This is from the Conservative site, RedState:
The fact that you believe a supremacist website is a "conservative site" tells me all I need to know about your kool-aid habit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Even his own party is horrified."

Correction. The party elites ARE HORRIFIED because they will lose CONTROL.

The people of the party made him their candidate through the election process even though the elites treid every thing they could to stop him, and couldn't.
Glad one party is fighting the establishment. The DEM's are trying to do the same thing with Bernie, but their elites figured out how to lock in any candidate they want through super electorates; no matter what the rest of the electorate does.

If Bernie wins CA, and it appears he may, HC is going to feel the bern.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm not the person you replied to, but I'll answer anyway. Obviously Trump put his foot in his mouth in a huge way, and what he said was wrong. Trump should have let one of his attorneys speak for him on this matter, or put out a 'no comment' that also declined comment from his counsel. The attorney would have told the press that there is a reason to question the judge's impartiality that has nothing to do with ethnicity or race. When Judge Curiel certified the class action against Trump in 2014, he appointed the law firm Robbins Geller to represent the plaintiffs. Since 2009, the Robbins Geller law firm has paid $675,000.00 in speaking fees to Hillary and Bill. Former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales wrote an article for the Washington Post on Saturday (link below) that looks at the overall situation. I agree with Gonzales. Gonzales tries to look at the situation from more than one perspective (-voters, -Trump, -and some beliefs that help the U.S. legal/justice system work as optimally as possible) , and his passion for the latter is evident in the article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...-a-fair-trial/
And opposing responses to Gonzales' opinion.

"...Gonzales’ argument rests on largely ignoring Trump’s own words and inventing new reasons for Trump’s objection that, even if true, seem irrelevant. He discusses Curiel’s affiliation with a San Diego-based Latino lawyers group and suggests that association might render him unable to render a fair judgment..."

“While I don’t expect Donald Trump to be a legal scholar, I do expect Alberto Gonzales—a former Texas Supreme Court justice, former U.S. Attorney General, and now Dean at Belmont Law School—to know better,” she wrote. Disssecting Gonzales’s claims, she found them “no more reasonable than Trump’s, ” and concluded that “his argument fails both on law and logic.”

Alberto Gonzales Offers The Worst Defense Of Trump's Racism | ThinkProgress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...onzalo-curiel/

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...ing-joe-223927

Old 06-06-2016, 02:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Klayman & co. of course appealed. The higher court (Reagan appointee, btw.) told them to go pound sand.

Trump's Attack on Judge Gonzalo Curiel and the Lessons of the 1998 Court Case 'Macdraw Inc.' - The Atlantic
From that article:
Quote:
The Second Circuit briskly affirmed Chin’s order. “Courts have repeatedly held that matters such as race or ethnicity are improper bases for challenging a judge's impartiality,” wrote the chief judge, Ralph Winter, a Reagan appointee. “Nor should one charge that a judge is not impartial solely because an attorney is embroiled in a controversy with the administration that appointed the judge. … Finally, appointment by a particular administration and membership in a particular racial or ethnic group are in combination not grounds for questioning a judge's impartiality. Zero plus zero is zero.”

Old 06-06-2016, 02:24 PM

31,063 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I have heard Trump saying the judge is proud of his heritage.

I have not heard the judge himself saying that.

Got any proof the judge made the statement "I'm proud of my Mexican heritage"?

Even if he IS proud of it, so what? Trump himself says he is proud of his heritage. Is there some difference I'm missing???

Actually, Trump should not be so proud of his German descent. They have proven themselves to be warmongers. Started both WWI and WWII.
No kidding, those Germans are racist and are our enemies. We should build a wall to keep them out

Old 06-06-2016, 02:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
That's not what I said. Straw man. Pay attention or go home.

U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel is a member of the La Raza Lawyer's Association, which is a leading Latino lawyers group in California. Curiel is a member of the organization's San Diego chapter.
But, a track record of bad rulings is the only thing he could be recused for, legally. The fact that he belongs to an association of Hispanic lawyers has no bearing whatsoever.

YOU pay attention. You still will not admit that the two organizations are totally different, even though it's been pointed out again and again.

I suppose you believe a judge who is a member of the Knights of Columbus should be recused from a trial with a Jewish or Muslim defendant.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
There is also a suspicion that Trump is out there bad mouthing the judge so much so that he may be able to claim he can't get a fair trial because he has said such awful things about him, and that he really cannot get a fair trial. That is how irrational Trump is appearing to many.

How would that be for perverting the law? The kicker is that any other judge will rule the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections