Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,561,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Johnson got 1.4% when he ran for president in 2012 in Idaho, right ?
Yes, he ran against Romney, a Republican Mormon. That's my point. Idaho leans Mormon, and Mormons don't like Trump. There are enough of them in Utah and Idaho to cause problems for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 6,770,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yes, he ran against Romney, a Republican Mormon. That's my point. Idaho leans Mormon, and Mormons don't like Trump. There are enough of them in Utah and Idaho to cause problems for Trump.
History shows otherwise. There simply is no way any Republican can lose either state according to voter demographics. McCain got 61% of the vote in Idaho in 2008 & he was no Mormon. Romney got 64% of Idaho's vote in 2012....statistically that's a wash. Being a Mormon or non-Mormon played no part in those two elections just like it will play no part in this one. What you wish is not reality....Trump will win by 25%.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 AM

11,902 posts, read 5,875,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Johnson is different. Different is not bad. Alex Jones really has little standing in calling someone creepy.

That said, Weld is among the long list of politicians like Warren that are nothing more than opportunists. I understand Johnsons thinking but the pick was a big mistake.

Actually PK - I voted Johnson back in 2012 because I liked what I read, his policies and I didn't like Obama or Romney. I recently saw Johnson interviewed on a news program and tho I still like many of his views - the guy was creepy and I wouldn't vote for him again. I told my son, who's a Johnson supporter, that I'd take my chances with Trump.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:19 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,469,207 times
Utah doesn't matter at all.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,914,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Actually PK - I voted Johnson back in 2012 because I liked what I read, his policies and I didn't like Obama or Romney. I recently saw Johnson interviewed on a news program and tho I still like many of his views - the guy was creepy and I wouldn't vote for him again. I told my son, who's a Johnson supporter, that I'd take my chances with Trump.
Johnsons interviews this year have left a lot to be desired, but I haven't seen him be creepy. I watched his Fox, Colbert, and Samantha Bee interviews and none were very good. He wasnt prepared at all when he went on Fox and it was embarrassing to watch. I think you are talking about the Alex Jones interview? I refuse to watch him, so I wouldn't know. Johnson is a goofy guy, but I like his positions on most policies and he is a proven leader from his time as governor and his business success. There's always a small possibility I will vote for Trump, but it's not likely. I agree with him on a few issues, but Trump pisses me off way too much and some of his positions are downright dangerous.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,005,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I agree, but remember Romney hasn't endorsed anyone yet. BTW, I would say Idaho leans more than Mormon, I think of the state being just about as Mormon as Utah.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,005,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Johnsons interviews this year have left a lot to be desired, but I haven't seen him be creepy. I watched his Fox, Colbert, and Samantha Bee interviews and none were very good. He wasnt prepared at all when he went on Fox and it was embarrassing to watch. I think you are talking about the Alex Jones interview? I refuse to watch him, so I wouldn't know. Johnson is a goofy guy, but I like his positions on most policies and he is a proven leader from his time as governor and his business success. There's always a small possibility I will vote for Trump, but it's not likely. I agree with him on a few issues, but Trump pisses me off way too much and some of his positions are downright dangerous.
I would consider voting for Johnson, but think I will end up voting for Trump unless something changes a lot. I am just a little leary about Johnson though I do agree with some of his views.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,971,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Nobody cares. Voters don't care what Romney says or thinks. He was an artificial, opportunist candidate wannabe in 2008 and, like Dole, relentlessly tried again in 2012.

Alex Jones had Gary Johnson on his show once or twice, and he said the other week that Johnson was "creepy."

Weld is a gun grabber who doesn't understand the 2nd Amendment.
Gary Johnson was on PBS news hour the other day, and creepy is a good word that described how he struck me. He might be ok, but he's no Ron Paul.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:18 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,002,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Nobody cares. Voters don't care what Romney says or thinks. He was an artificial, opportunist candidate wannabe in 2008 and, like Dole, relentlessly tried again in 2012.

Alex Jones had Gary Johnson on his show once or twice, and he said the other week that Johnson was "creepy."

Weld is a gun grabber who doesn't understand the 2nd Amendment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Gary Johnson was on PBS news hour the other day, and creepy is a good word that described how he struck me. He might be ok, but he's no Ron Paul.
Hmm, Alex Jones calling someone creepy? Consider the source.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 PM

25,667 posts, read 17,412,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Mitt Romney may be considering endorsing Gary Johnson, if he does that will be a big deal as it will put Utah into play. Johnson is already polling at 16% in Utah and it was his best showing in the 2012 election. Trump is in the lead in Utah, but only manages 29%, Clinton is at 26%.

Regardless of how this election turns out, it should be exciting.

Romney's one hold-up on supporting Gary Johnson | Washington Examiner

Gary Johnson Pulls 16% in Utah Poll - Hit & Run : Reason.com
I sympathize with Mitt.

I like Johnson and will probably vote for him in spite of his pro-marijuana stance.
That's because Johnson has stated very clearly that Congress will submit bills to be signed into laws - not the president. And Congress will never submit a marijuana bill, so that makes it a moot point.

Johnson vetoed 750 bills while he was governor. He is very serious about expanding government and that has huge appeal to me.
He has said he will have the power to close NSA, so it will be a goner. And if he can get Congress to submit the appropriate bills he will close IRS and Department of Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections