Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,570,108 times

Advertisements

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Citing rising costs for security and its failure to raise enough money, Wright State University pulled out from hosting the first presidential debate set for September 26.
"I can't assure the safety of our students and the community," Wright State president David Hopkins told the Dayton Daily News. "I wanted it so much for our students," Hopkins said. "I hate this decision. It hurts my heart."
According to the newspaper, the university needed to raise $8 million for the event, but had only raised about $3.5 million so far.

8 MILLION FOR A SINGLE DEBATE ???????
That seems about $7.5M more than needs to be spent. Here's an idea, hold it in a TV studio in NY or LA, throw out all the leeches, hanger-on's and brown noser's, if they want audience participation open the phone lines and let the fur fly between the two candidates.

It's a wonder anything gets done anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:37 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
I have heard that Hillary doesn't want to debate, could this have anything to do with it?

I agree, no reason for it to cost that much and could be handled much more safely if they just broadcast it without an audience at an undisclosed location. I see no purpose for an audience.

So, will Hillary debate Trump. I had read that under a great deal of pressure with her health issues and medication, she could go down, maybe for a final time. It does appear that they have been limping her along through small gatherings and such.

Money talks and people listen.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:52 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have heard that Hillary doesn't want to debate...
Where did you "hear" this? And no, rightwing blogs and echo chambers don't count. Post a credible source or admit you made it up.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:56 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Hofstra University on Long Island will now host the first debate.

Wright State University pulls out of presidential debate - CNNPolitics.com

Old 07-19-2016, 03:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Why doesn't Trump kick in the money for a debate forum?

Oh yeah, his campaign is broke and disorganized and the last thing he wants to do is spend his own money getting his butt kicked by Hillary.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:08 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Where did you "hear" this? And no, rightwing blogs and echo chambers don't count. Post a credible source or admit you made it up.
He hears the way Trump hears things. Low information election in full effect.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
I bet a lot of costs are for the security and the news wants to be there live.

Security is even a bigger concern than normal this year.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:39 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have heard that Hillary doesn't want to debate, could this have anything to do with it?

I agree, no reason for it to cost that much and could be handled much more safely if they just broadcast it without an audience at an undisclosed location. I see no purpose for an audience.

So, will Hillary debate Trump. I had read that under a great deal of pressure with her health issues and medication, she could go down, maybe for a final time. It does appear that they have been limping her along through small gatherings and such.

Money talks and people listen.

Let me guess, your source is the famous "some people are saying" from Fox News or a right wing hate radio jock.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
Why is it so expensive? Surely they can run a debate on $3.5 million. My guess is they worry about damage being done due to protests.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:35 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Like CNN the ones that leave the trail of breadcrumbs from Hillary for her followers? The station that is owned by Time Warner who has contributed $700,000 to Hillary Clinton's campaign. No they will not say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why doesn't Trump kick in the money for a debate forum?

Oh yeah, his campaign is broke and disorganized and the last thing he wants to do is spend his own money getting his butt kicked by Hillary.
Hillary could use the money from the Clinton money laundering foundation for her Middle East contributions, you know those countries that suppress women and minorities. Sadly, Trump doesn't have one of those to filter foreign donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Let me guess, your source is the famous "some people are saying" from Fox News or a right wing hate radio jock.
Again, since the Dems just follow the trail of breadcrumbs that Hillary leaves for them at CNN, owned by Time Warner, a major contributor of $700,000 to Hillary's campaign, no other source is considered creditable. Do you see how ridiculous it would be to follow both Hillary and CNN? Probably not and I don't have time to explain it right now.

If you must be glued to your liberal media outlets to avoid what the real world is speaking about, well, I understand. The truth really bites when it comes to Hillary. She could use her failing health or Bill's. We'll see what she does.

Maybe you all will get lucky and she won't be nominated next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections