Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If the party has morphed into what constitutes Trump, who would the candidate be if Trump didn't exist? It would most likely be someone like Jeb Bush who isn't a big departure from any other R/D candidate of the last 30 years. If that's the case, your whole narrative is dead on arrival.
In part that is why they lost when Romney ran. Turn out was lousy. It's why Kerry lost to a very unpopular Bush.

People say that if Bush won that he would beat Hillary easily. I do not believe that would have been the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:06 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
If the party has morphed into what constitutes Trump, who would the candidate be if Trump didn't exist? It would most likely be someone like Jeb Bush who isn't a big departure from any other R/D candidate of the last 30 years. If that's the case, your whole narrative is dead on arrival.
That's exactly my point. Trump is not a Republican candidate as far as I can tell. He hijacked the party for his own purposes. And it was pretty easy.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The ACLU and NARAL were two big members of the class that brought the Citizen United ruling about.
Maybe - but it doesn't matter. Authoritarian candidates will use whatever resources or votes they can muster regardless of their source. Ranging from cast off Sanders supporters to cast off Cruz supporters to leveraging Citizens United to buy his way into an election. Trump is outside politics as we have known them in the past, he is opportunistic; any vote is a good vote.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:16 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Well, if you can't think of anyone else to take Trump's approach in another field, I guess that proves how rare a shake up to the Trump-degree really is. What's amazing is that he's doing it on the world's biggest stage...we aren't talking about shaking up office politics here.

You could simply write him off as lazy minded, but I'm not sure if lazy gives someone a 50/50 shot at the White House. Do you simply chalk up successfully going against the grain in virtually every respect to laziness and dumb luck?
He's lazy in learning about so many subjects but not lazy in campaigning and running his businesses.

I also think he's enjoying much white male privilege... can you imagine a female or black or brown man getting away with the things he says? I can't, he's also benefitting from his reality-TV and Trump branding... we've known the guy for years. But I'm not sure he knows much more than Kim Kardashian.

Finally, look at the UK, I think Boris Johnson has similarities to Trump, he was able to raise interest in leaving the EU. But once done, he pulled out, the very difficult transition ahead is too much for him. Boris and Trump are strictly campaigning politicians, they are not working politicians engaged in the numerous complex projects necessary to govern a country.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
That's exactly my point. Trump is not a Republican candidate as far as I can tell. He hijacked the party for his own purposes. And it was pretty easy.
If it was so easy who else could've done it? Why didn't some other politician do it?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This only happens when the people are angry. When the people are happy and things are going well someone like Trump does as someone like Trump usually does. Goes nowhere.

So win or lose the people are still going to be angry and this doesn't end here. You'll have the angry Trump voters and the angry Sanders voters still out there.
That's what a lot of people don't get. Trump tapped into a vein of anger about what's going on, whether or not it's valid. The illegal alien issue is just one-piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Yes, but his situation is unique. He already had name recognition/celebrity status when the race for the WH began.

Without such status I doubt many of the media outlets would have given him the time of day.
Ul
It was the non-stop media coverage which allowed him to stay one step ahead of Jeb Bush and the others.
The other candidates wanted a genteel campaign and didn't recognize until too late that Trump is a brawler. Cruz did finally but it was too little, too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

I'll thank all the Republicans in advance for putting party aside and voting for Hillary this time. Hopefully your party will give you something (someone) to return to in the future, but you guys rock!
Of course you would say the same to Democrats if they nominated deeply flawed candidate. Oh, wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections