Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 10:54 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

What mechanism do donors, lobbyists, and superpacs have to influence politics?

Is it all just under the table cash pay-offs, or do these peoples actually have a legitimate, legal, political forum/format to demand certain issues are dealt with a certain way? And what mechanism ensures donors, lobbyists, superpacs get what they want?

Once donation is made, what is stopping politicians from just ignoring donor? Is there a law stating politician must do what donor says?

I never understood the big deal about these people unless of course, it is under the table cash bribery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:12 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What mechanism do donors, lobbyists, and superpacs have to influence politics?

Is it all just under the table cash pay-offs, or do these peoples actually have a legitimate, legal, political forum/format to demand certain issues are dealt with a certain way? And what mechanism ensures donors, lobbyists, superpacs get what they want?

Once donation is made, what is stopping politicians from just ignoring donor? Is there a law stating politician must do what donor says?

I never understood the big deal about these people unless of course, it is under the table cash bribery.
Donations is the first mechanism. There are other ways as well: future employment opportunities, offering connections/jobs to politicians' children, indirect future employment opportunities (think Eric Cantor @ Moelis, Peter Orszag @ Citi/Lazard), etc.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
The donations stop if they don't get their quid pro quo (i.e. what they pay the politician to do for them).
The Lobbyists essentially write the laws and CongressCritters/President just rubber stamp them.

If the CongressCritter/President/Party doesn't go along with the Pay to Play .... the donations stop and they lose their Cushy Jobs. It's a racket.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:55 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The donations stop if they don't get their quid pro quo (i.e. what they pay the politician to do for them).
The Lobbyists essentially write the laws and CongressCritters/President just rubber stamp them.

If the CongressCritter/President/Party doesn't go along with the Pay to Play .... the donations stop and they lose their Cushy Jobs. It's a racket.
Yes, very simple and works with everyone that gets paid in advance. If I pay someone to mow my lawn and they don't, the next time they come around..................

Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
We must recall that, as a practical matters, members of Congress are unwilling to write their own proposed laws. There have been some honorable exceptions, of course.

However, in the main, many bills that are submitted would have been written by lobbyists, or else the lobbyists (whom act on behalf of the donors and interested groups) will ask that language be inserted that 'softens the blow' if the bill is directed towards said interested group.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 PM

So basically it is just bribery, you scratch my back, I scratch yours. I dont think our gubment should work this way. But I guess it is human nature.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We must recall that, as a practical matters, members of Congress are unwilling to write their own proposed laws. There have been some honorable exceptions, of course.

However, in the main, many bills that are submitted would have been written by lobbyists, or else the lobbyists (whom act on behalf of the donors and interested groups) will ask that language be inserted that 'softens the blow' if the bill is directed towards said interested group.
If these members of Congress are unwilling to input their own feelings, then I say they were not a great choice.

Unless there is some format for the politician to actually hear what the people are really thinking, then it just seems the voting process is just for show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections