Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:32 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times

Advertisements

Poor uneducated whites are center stage again.

How the ‘hillbilly’ has driven the politics of rebellion and Donald Trump, according to J.D. Vance | National Post

Quote:
In late July, The American Conservative ran an interview with J.D. Vance that drew so much traffic it briefly crippled the central nervous system of the magazine’s website. The interviewer’s last line implored readers to have a look at Vance’s publishing debut, Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis. Ever since, his book has hovered at high altitude on Amazon, seldom dipping below No. 10.

After reading Hillbilly Elegy, you can easily understand why. This is a historically peculiar election cycle, boisterously disrupted by outsiders, one of whom found the perfect host body in the Republican Party and became its presidential nominee. An investigation of voter estrangement has never felt more urgent, and we’re certainly not getting one from the lacquered chatterers on the boob tube.

Now, along comes Vance, offering a compassionate, discerning sociological analysis of the white underclass that has helped drive the politics of rebellion, particularly the ascent of Donald Trump. Combining thoughtful inquiry with firsthand experience, Vance has inadvertently provided a civilized reference guide for an uncivilized election, and he’s done so in a vocabulary intelligible to both Democrats and Republicans.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I wonder what other derogatory terms people would be allowed to use as book titles? I'm sure I don't have to pick out other examples.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,650 posts, read 16,138,284 times
More shaming from the tolerant left every day. Why am I not surprised at the depths they go?
Here are some alternatives for you
"Felons vote for hilliary"
"Hilliary favorable to jihadists"
"Illegal aliens prefer hilliary"
We could do this all day

Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
I joke that the only solution is to round up all white males and put them in re-education camps, but something tells me I will see it in my lifetime. I should change my last name to my wife's maiden name (she is Hispanic and has African in her) so I might stand a chance when I am a senior citizen

Old 08-14-2016, 07:13 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
This same element 50 to 60 years ago were known as "yellow dog" democrats. These guys switched parties over the years and now Ronald Reagan is the Roosevelt of the old yellow dogs, and Trump essentially is basically playing the role of George Wallace in '68 and '72 except he is the major party candidate.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:16 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Hillbilly is Hillary & Bill.. Hill-billy.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
More shaming from the tolerant left every day. Why am I not surprised at the depths they go?
Here are some alternatives for you
"Felons vote for hilliary"
"Hilliary favorable to jihadists"
"Illegal aliens prefer hilliary"
We could do this all day
No you can't. Your alternatives are not based on reality or research. This book was. If you have a valid contention with the book then post it and be able to back it up.

One could go through your alternative and rip them apart. I won't b/c I don't feel like wasting anymore time on this. Good day.

Also, I did not realize that "hillbilly" was a derogatory word?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Hillbilly is Hillary & Bill.. Hill-billy.
Not in this case. One needs to only look at the cover to see hillbilly is not being used to describe the Clintons. Further reading references white underclass and it being a memoir of the author growing up in the Rust Belt, being a Marine, etc.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:10 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This same element 50 to 60 years ago were known as "yellow dog" democrats. These guys switched parties over the years and now Ronald Reagan is the Roosevelt of the old yellow dogs, and Trump essentially is basically playing the role of George Wallace in '68 and '72 except he is the major party candidate.
What a stretch.. Old George was a democrat and the dixiecrats were the racist party who founded the KKK and passed the Jim Crow laws.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:15 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I don't have time to read the article right now, but yes, the "hillbilly" Clintons are the issue in this election and even to "hillbillies" they are a disgrace. I have been careful who or what I have compared them with, not dogs for sure, not even pond scum as neither deserve to be compared to the Clintons.

Indeed those two "hillbillies", if you must use a term, Bill and Hillary, are indeed responsible for a good share of the rebellion we are seeing in the election.

Whatever Hillary is, let's just get rid of it once and for all in the name of saving ourselves as a people and country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections