Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
. Sadly they are being manipulated and used by those who are hell-bent on discrediting Bill.
Bill does a pretty good job discrediting himself, he doesn't need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I can find something MULTIPLE times a day on TV that someone would be offended by. It isn't my jobb or Rev Sharpton's job to be the police of what offends people and what doesn't.

This PC junk is a major part of the problems going on in this country. If something offends you, dont watch it or boycott advertisers, DON'T tell me that I can't listen to something because you get offended.

This isn't directed at you, nor only pertains to this O'Reilly situation, but this whole "getting offended" nonsense is getting so far over the top that it is sickening.
Well, the sad thing about it is that there are bottom feeders who not only don't ignore this un-PC junk, they eagerly lap it up. O'Reilly knows what he is doing.
He'll say this:
I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels -- that America is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever -- then that's legit. We'll track it down.
In a few blustering sentences, he manages to (purposely or not) use a slur and repeat poisonous gossip, which is supposed to pass for substantive journalism.
I would never tell anyone not to watch this stuff--and no doubt this will just be the tip of the iceberg.
I just think it is sad that people are so easily (and enjoyably) distracted by it.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
On his radio show, referring to Michelle Obama's recent remarks about America, O’Reilly said: “I don’t want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there’s evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels”

Well, at least he said he'd wait until there's evidence. You know people have been fired for less.

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly's Racist Remarks
That is nonsense and you know it........Cut it out...

Carrie

Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I can find something MULTIPLE times a day on TV that someone would be offended by. It isn't my jobb or Rev Sharpton's job to be the police of what offends people and what doesn't.

This PC junk is a major part of the problems going on in this country. If something offends you, dont watch it or boycott advertisers, DON'T tell me that I can't listen to something because you get offended.

This isn't directed at you, nor only pertains to this O'Reilly situation, but this whole "getting offended" nonsense is getting so far over the top that it is sickening.
Hey, I've said on this board numerous times and truly believe that the one right we forfeit living in a land of free speech is the right to be comfortable. I'm all for expression, and think O'Reilley and the rest should be able to say whatever vile little piece of misinformation pops into their heads. It's everyone else's perrogative to be offended, insulted, or otherwise put off by it. If you had fully sanitized airwaves it would be a problem. However, if the statements of the listeners were quashed, and people couldn't complain, you'd have a bully pulpit. I'm for neither.

The only discipline is self discipline. If Bill O insists on being a constant sensationalist, he's going to trip up like this over and over. I've made my decision not to watch his program. Everyone else has that option. We can still decry his bad taste. I don't think he should lose his job or anything like that. However, one would hope that the free market of ideas will prevail, and that if he keeps screwing up like this, the market will eventually dictate that he will be out of a job...

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I know using the word lynching is awful when talking to a black person -- but there is kind of a double standard there because it is not awful when talking to a white person or a hispanic person or an Asian. So, the word is off limits in some places but not in others. (I'd agree with that.

Why don't you think a little bit on exactly words are offensive in certain contexts but not others.

It's really not that difficult.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Why don't you think a little bit on exactly words are offensive in certain contexts but not others.

It's really not that difficult.

Not the perfect situation for this, but I love George Carlin:

"There are some 2-way words, like it is okay for Kirk Youdi to say "Roberto Clametti has 2 balls on him.", but he can't say "I think he hurt his balls on that play, Tony. Don't you? He's holding them. He must've hurt them, by God. And the other 2-way word that goes with that one is prick. It's okay if it happens to your finger. You can prik your finger but don't finger your prick. No,no."

Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
I hope we have some of these media watchdogs listening to the calls from suspected terrorists for key words.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
YOu mean sort of like you he didn't mean anything when he went to Sylvia's in Harlem and learned that black people can own restuarants and eat like anyone else. Bill is the escence of racial sensetivity.

Bill O’Reilly amazed! Black people can own restaurants AND eat in them ! « racymind (http://racymind.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/bill-oreilly-amazed-black-people-can-own-restaurants-and-eat-in-them/ - broken link)

I believe he is a racist, pure and simple.
Look, I believe BO is an epic douche and I hate that I'm defending him twice now... But on that one, you have to appreciate the context.
He was simply saying that there is no excuse for "ghetto" type nonsense, black cultural disintegration, etc... He cited that restaurant in Harlem as an example- that just because you're black, it doesn't immediately default you to acting like a mouth-breathing retard and here is a black owned, black run and predominantly black customer restaurant that proves it.

Bear in mind, a lot of what we consider to be "racist" is undeniably "reality" whether we like it or not.
BO has a very limited PC mechanism.
In some people political correctness is so integrated with "who they are" that it becomes almost involuntarily and whenever someone else doesn't act like that, it causes them to recoil and react with amazement.

I can relate to this, as I too have virtually no PC mechanism and have noticed the reactions it causes amongst those who do.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Bill does a pretty good job discrediting himself, he doesn't need help.
Interesting, since he's the most highly watched evening cable news show. Do you watch his show? Be honest now.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Interesting, since he's the most highly watched evening cable news show. Do you watch his show? Be honest now.
Only a fool would think that O'Reilly's show is news. It's entertainment on an extremely biased network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections