Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Women can go back to work a week after giving birth,if they did not have complications.

You really think women in India and China get 6 weeks off after giving birth?

When are single,childless women going to get a tax break?
A single, childless women is going to get a tax break about the same time a single, childless man does. NEVER! It's your punishment for not reproducing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All you curmudgeons who are childless and resentful that anyone should get any breaks when you do not, lighten up. I've raised my children, so I wont get any benefit either. When I worked and had a baby, I had accumulated 6 weeks paid leave time, and that was 30 years ago. I think most employers have provisions already in place for this.
We can all sit back and say, if you are an hourly worker, or a part time worker, with no maternity leave benefits, then you just shouldnt have kids, but this is not going to happen.
Im very politically conservative, but I think things that promote healthy families are a valid use of tax dollars. The government wastes so much money on unneccesary stuff, that they can easily cut back on taxes and still keep programs that promote the common good.
I as a conservative agree with this. I'm single, no kids and I get no tax breaks but I do understand that people with children to support have it a lot harder. I'm all for the 6 weeks with pay and the help with childcare. It's the right thing to do. It's a no brainer for me.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
This is just another example of how left the right really is but doesn't want to admit it.

Other examples are:

Nixon-strengthened social security benefits, supported elements of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, and was instrumental in the creation of both the Environmental Protection Agency and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in 1970.

Theodore Roosevelt- had a reputation for being pro-union and anti-monopoly and could be vehemently critical of large corporations. A strong proponent of anti-trust laws, he firmly believed that government should step in to break up corporations into smaller companies when they become monopolies.

Gerald Ford-offered a conditional amnesty program for Americans who had dodged the draft during the Vietnam War.

George W. Bush-Biggest expansion to Medicare (part D) since its inception.

Reagan-signed into law a bill that made any immigrant who had entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
This policy (mandating paid maternity leave) is actually anti worker as it raises the cost of labor for business. It could end up being anti woman as it disincentives businesses from hiring women of childbearing age. Limiting the deduction to those under a certain income level is pure class warfare straight from the Democrats' playbook.
But if Sanders was pushing it, the left would be shouting how wonderful it is. Be damned with paying for things.. that doesnt matter..

Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I as a conservative agree with this. I'm single, no kids and I get no tax breaks but I do understand that people with children to support have it a lot harder. I'm all for the 6 weeks with pay and the help with childcare. It's the right thing to do. It's a no brainer for me.
I celebrate your willingness to cut a check to assist others with childcare. let me know when you do.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But if Sanders was pushing it, the left would be shouting how wonderful it is. Be damned with paying for things.. that doesnt matter..
And if Sanders were pushing it, what would the right be saying?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And if Sanders were pushing it, what would the right be saying?
The same thing I'm currently saying.. its stupid.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is just another example of how left the right really is but doesn't want to admit it.

Other examples are:

Nixon-strengthened social security benefits, supported elements of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, and was instrumental in the creation of both the Environmental Protection Agency and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in 1970.

Theodore Roosevelt- had a reputation for being pro-union and anti-monopoly and could be vehemently critical of large corporations. A strong proponent of anti-trust laws, he firmly believed that government should step in to break up corporations into smaller companies when they become monopolies.

Gerald Ford-offered a conditional amnesty program for Americans who had dodged the draft during the Vietnam War.

George W. Bush-Biggest expansion to Medicare (part D) since its inception.

Reagan-signed into law a bill that made any immigrant who had entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty.
It goes to show you that some things are not so cut and dry and conservatives and or Republicans will support what they believe will benefit us as a country. It's not about partisanship all the time.
On the other hand, try to find some conservative issues that the left has supported? I don't think there are many.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I celebrate your willingness to cut a check to assist others with childcare. let me know when you do.
I already do when I get my paycheck and taxes are taken out of it to suppliment tax breaks for those with children. It's nothing new for any of us.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I already do when I get my paycheck and taxes are taken out of it in the form of tax breaks for those with children.
No, no you dont. Your taxes go to fund the federal government.. The fact that they get tax breaks does not mean you are paying for their expenses, it means their expenses are just reduced..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections