Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Excuse me, but how is calling a man, "The Man" questionable? I do it often and it is meant and accepted as a compliment. example:

ME: Clinching an important deal
MY BOSS: "you're The Man!."
ME: "Thanks"

Besides, aren't you the people that are against political correctness? If so, you are all a bunch of hypocrites making up an issue that isn't an issue.
Fact check: "The" is not the same word as "That"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Fact check: "The" is not the same word as "That"
Fact check: "That man" is not disparaging.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
See, that is merely an opinion, while I may agree or disagree with it, it doesn't change my original statement pointing out the obvious wrong in that last post.

I'm tired of hearing that the liberals/Dems are the only ones who understand and recognize facts. In fact there was an entire thread on it here the other day.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:22 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
It is disparaging. What it is not is racist. I have never believed the Clintons and the Obamas get along. they have to support each other because their donors force them to but the Clintons get along with the Trumps.

The word "that" is not racist. Tweeting Pepe the frog and claiming Pepe is part of your group is racist. Re-tweeting fake black statistics is racists. Calling people "the blacks" is racists. Calling black people "thugs" is racist.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I thought Bill Clinton referred to Obama as the people who would be serving us to one of his friends.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
See, that is merely an opinion, while I may agree or disagree with it, it doesn't change my original statement pointing out the obvious wrong in that last post.

I'm tired of hearing that the liberals/Dems are the only ones who understand and recognize facts. In fact there was an entire thread on it here the other day.
It's not a matter of opinion.

The word "that" is a determiner in this context. It simply indicates a specific person. There's nothing racist about it.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It is disparaging. What it is not is racist. I have never believed the Clintons and the Obamas get along. they have to support each other because their donors force them to but the Clintons get along with the Trumps.

The word "that" is not racist. Tweeting Pepe the frog and claiming Pepe is part of your group is racist. Re-tweeting fake black statistics is racists. Calling people "the blacks" is racists. Calling black people "thugs" is racist.
It's not disparaging.

I saw that man the other day at Starbuck's.

Do you see that woman over there? I'm going to ask her where she gets her hair done, because I love her haircut.

Did you see that guy working for the telephone company? I wonder if he's married.

I got a letter from that man again, about wanting to buy the house...

"That" is being used as a determiner. It's a completely neutral word.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Anyone that doesn't like Obama is a racist remember?
strawman

Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Of course it is but it's Lefty racism which is 100% acceptable.
You are correct. The dems have no rules for their side of the fence. . .everything goes and everything is accepted - as long as you're on their side of the fence.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
It's not a matter of opinion.

The word "that" is a determiner in this context. It simply indicates a specific person. There's nothing racist about it.
You are conveniently changing the story, nice try.

My original statement stands as true. The word "That" and the word "The" are different words with different meanings. Are you really going to argue that they arent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections