Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:46 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

It be awesome if Johnson and Weld decided to run for the Senate of their respective States. Not sure if any elections coming up.

Be awesome if we had Libertarian Congress Members from Maine, NH, MA, RI, NY, PA, OH, AZ, OR, and AK.

Last edited by RunD1987; 09-17-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:54 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
It will help. It looks like Johnson/Weld are going to keep on and try for the next debate.

But "60 Minutes"? I never watch them.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:05 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
even 60 Minutes won't be able to make these two clowns look serious.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:34 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
even 60 Minutes won't be able to make these two clowns look serious.
True, I believe both Trump and Clinton have been on 60 minutes before and they both still came out clowns.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
At 7:00P on a Sunday, I'm watching the political insiders with Doug Schoen (Clinton pollster), Pat Caddell (Carter pollster) and John LeBoutillier (former Republican Representative NY). They're on the whole second half hour of Harris Faulkner's FNC show and they're a hoot. Wouldn't miss them for 60 Minutes.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:14 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Johnson is on MSNBC right now, saying why he thinks we should "make it as easy as possible"
for an unlimited number of immigrants to move here A.S.A.P.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:13 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Here's Johnson's statement..

Quote:
the only realistic and … humane policy is to find a fair and safe way to allow non-criminal, undocumented immigrants to get right with the law and go about their lives, paying taxes, having a valid Social Security number, and earning a legal status. No cutting the line. No "special" path to citizenship. Just a common sense way for undocumented immigrants with jobs, families, and a clean record to come forward and live by the same rules as the rest of us.” Johnson also criticized Donald Trump’s immigration proposals, saying “Rounding up more than 11 million people -- a population larger than all but the 7 largest states in the union -- is a ludicrous notion to begin with. Everyone knows it, including Donald Trump. It was a lie cloaked in a promise.”
But that is only with regard to those here now. Regarding future immigrants:
Quote:
, “I think we should make it as easy as possible for somebody who wants to come into this country and work to get a work visa. I’m not talking about a green card. The solution is to create a moving line. Don’t put the government in charge of quotas. There will either be jobs or there won’t be jobs. And a work visa should include a background check and a Social Security card so that taxes get paid.” Johnson also said that “there should be a pathway to citizenship, and there should be an embrace of immigration as something really good. They’re not taking jobs that U.S. citizens want.”
https://ballotpedia.org/Gary_Johnson...16/Immigration

I think he's right. I think he envisions a system that is better and safer than the one we have now. And certainly safer than a wall.
He goes on to say that around 30% or Republican voters believe the scourge of the earth is Mexican immigration. Trump nailed down that vote early.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:39 PM

3,839 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
He doesn't favor letting in criminals or potential terrorists, or people sneaking in. He doesn't want them working for $3 an hour while gov't doesn't know they're here. He wants there to be work visas, and he wants them to get a social security number and pay taxes. He wants a legal path to citizenship if they are interested and can pass the tests. That would not amount to nearly everyone in Mexico coming here ASAP.
He's talking about *legal* immigration, which we've always allowed

The iffy part may be he wants families united and says if the father is working here legally, then the mother & children should be allowed to come. I'm not sure what the law says about that? Also, as far as those who are here illegally, there was a time when some came in illegally and few cared, as the legal way in was almost impossible. These people got married. had kids, got jobs, & some have been here for 30 years. He does not want to kick them out. But I'm sure he doesn't want people to come here who wouldn't even attempt to get a job and just be welfare recipients with free healthcare.

In my upper Midwestern suburb, in recent years, we've had many Hispanics, blacks, & Asians move here. Yet our crime rate remains at half the national average. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Johnson is on MSNBC right now, saying why he thinks we should "make it as easy as possible"
for an unlimited number of immigrants to move here A.S.A.P.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:30 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
Gary Johnson said North Korea is our greatest (external) threat. He thought maybe we could have some He doesn't demand we allow a particular number of immigrants in. He said maybe we could have an ally in China maybe helping keep the N Korean leader from attacking USA. China and other Asian countries supply us with many consumer goods we can afford, so they're not all bad.

We wrecked Iran, killing huge numbers, because the guy who paid for the 9/11 attacks is in Pakistan? More like trading blood for oil? Defense contractors got richer, so that's all that matters? There's little reason we should trust our gov't until it has more honest people like Gary Johnson. Corporate bribery usually means harm to many of us. Gary Johnson is for the 100% equally. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
His remarks on immigration were enough for me to hear: "Try this, instead: No caps. No categories. No quotas." That came form this link: Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson. With that attitude you might as well say there is no United States anymore. We should just turn over our nukes to North Korea, Iran and China and watch how their 'Libertarians' run our (used to be) Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections