Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:21 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Here's Johnson's statement..

But that is only with regard to those here now. Regarding future immigrants:

https://ballotpedia.org/Gary_Johnson...16/Immigration

I think he's right. I think he envisions a system that is better and safer than the one we have now. And certainly safer than a wall.
He goes on to say that around 30% or Republican voters believe the scourge of the earth is Mexican immigration. Trump nailed down that vote early.
I concur. Way I see it Trump wants to round up and deport illegals. That is a lot of resource and impossible number of people to deport. In addition to, cutting funding to sanctuary cities will limit resources to local L.E.

With Clinton wants to expand from what Obama has done give more rights and protection to illegals.

Johnson wants to focus less on persecuting these individuals. Open borders up create a pathway with less government restriction to make these individuals citizens so they can pay taxes and work.

I think that is an awesome idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 06:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Gary Johnson said North Korea is our greatest (external) threat. He thought maybe we could have some He doesn't demand we allow a particular number of immigrants in. He said maybe we could have an ally in China maybe helping keep the N Korean leader from attacking USA. China and other Asian countries supply us with many consumer goods we can afford, so they're not all bad.

We wrecked Iran, killing huge numbers, because the guy who paid for the 9/11 attacks is in Pakistan? More like trading blood for oil? Defense contractors got richer, so that's all that matters? There's little reason we should trust our gov't until it has more honest people like Gary Johnson. Corporate bribery usually means harm to many of us. Gary Johnson is for the 100% equally. Best wishes.
How is he going to keep anybody out of our Country with open doors? To me Hillary's record on immigration is worse than Obama's. Sanders record was worse than Hillary's and Johnson's record would be worse than Sanders. You cannot keep anybody out of this Country unless we screen them first. When we step back and open the doors we might as well rip down the Flag!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
How is he going to keep anybody out of our Country with open doors? To me Hillary's record on immigration is worse than Obama's. Sanders record was worse than Hillary's and Johnson's record would be worse than Sanders. You cannot keep anybody out of this Country unless we screen them first. When we step back and open the doors we might as well rip down the Flag!
Apparently you have not followed the conversation.
There are no open doors proposed.
There would be work visas issued after a background check, which can be done after a passport is presented. So the immigrant with a passport gets a worker visa+Social Security number. Finding him again would be as simple as finding you; if you have a job you can be located.

This is a great improvement over the current system where hundreds of thousands of unknown people break the law because there is no other way in. And once they are in it is illegal in most places to ask them if they are here legally.

Trump is full-a-bull. He can't do what he says he will do.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to whackjob Gary Johnson
You and I don't agree on much but we do agree on Johnson. He is just so . . uninspiring and gives the appearance of being unprepared as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Super excited!!!! Hopefully will give him the momentum into the next debate and onward to being POTUS.
Gary Johnson is not going to be POTUS. Either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump will be president; that's just the reality.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Did anyone watch?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
His remarks on immigration were enough for me to hear: "Try this, instead: No caps. No categories. No quotas." That came form this link: Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson. With that attitude you might as well say there is no United States anymore. We should just turn over our nukes to North Korea, Iran and China and watch how their 'Libertarians' run our (used to be) Country.
Deal breakers for me!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,915 times
Did anyone else get the impression that Bill Weld was playing the role of a wise daddy trying to keep his teenage son from making a fool of himself?

Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Yes, this Sunday. Time given as 7:30 ET, 7pm PT. Maybe several million will hear of them and some issues positions for the 1st time. Gary Johnson could get into the 10/19 (last) debate if he gets 15% average in the 5 chosen polls by 9/30. He'll probably have to rely mainly on internet. They are running ads in ten of the states that they poll 15% or more. There's also a chance they'll get more interview requests. There may be more as we get closer to the election day. Still some undecided voters. Can hardly wait for the Johnson polls after the 60 Minutes broadcast. Best wishes.
I supported them, but I don't know anymore. They didn't give me any reasons last night to vote for them, other than they are not Trump or Hillary, who I have already ruled out. Or, maybe that's a good enough reason....

Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Does anyone watch 60 minutes anymore?

Growing up they were the end all to news reporting but the Internet seems to have put an end to that.
Absolutely, if you read it on the internet you know it's true.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
These guys are poor standard bearers for libertarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections