Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
OK, so we've stuck with our two party system and never elected a third party candidate. Which brings us to Trump and Clinton, are they the best the political parties have to offer or all they have to offer? So on the one hand we have Donald Trump who has not come up "through the ranks" or participated in politics to date but has somehow hijacked the GOP. On the other hand we have Hillary Clinton, career politician, she's the penultimate politico for the democratic party. As witnessed by recent polls, the public has very low expectations and extreme angst in whoever becomes our next president. For me, I will cast a vote that sends my message to Washington, I don't like either candidate and I reject them both. It may be a small gesture of rebellion, but that's how revolutions begin.
Abraham Lincoln was a third party candidate, previously the two major parties were Democrat and Whig.

Since that time there have been 31 Senators, 111 Representatives, and 22 Governors who were third party. Angus King and Bernie Sanders were both elected as Independents. Bill Walker, current governor of Alaska is 3rd Party. There are many, many at state and local levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Every one is entitled to vote or not for who they want, at least until that right is taken away from us. So, just leave them alone and let them vote their conscience.
This.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:54 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
There are varying level of brain surgeons just like there are varying levels of engineers, scientists, etc. Not all brain surgeons are equal in level of skills.

Again, if 3rd party candidates and 3rd party political parties want to play the game, take control of lower level government agencies first before shooting for the highest office in the country. Otherwise, they are just distractions.

Nothing got achieved when the SOB Ralph Nader ran except a decade long war and thousands of Americans dead.
There are really only 2 third parties in the US. The Libertarians and the Greens. They both already have regions where they are fairly strong. The Greens have likely done a better job getting more influential offices, like mayors and city councilmen. But they are very regional and have little influence outside the pacific states. The Libertarians have influence distributed all over the west, Great Plains, Midwest, New England, and some in the south. They hold some 150 non partisan elected offices and a few partisan offices.

The Libertarians have seen 10%+ membership growth in every state. My state has increased over 50% in just the last few years. My county has 2 elected Libertarians.

You continue to ignore how influential presidential candidates are, even if they don't win. Nader has influenced the Democratic Party, who knew someone like Sanders would even have a chance of winning the nomination. The democrats have obviously moved farther left in the last decade.

One of the most important factors for a political party is membership and donating members. Johnson has helped increase that significantly. The number of donating members has increased 500% since last year. Johnsons influence has also brought in multiple super pacs to help the Libertarian Party. The Purple Pac is the most influential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Unfortunately, if enough voters cast a vote to "send a message to Washington" we may end up with a President who many, many, many people fear will be a disaster.

You see Trump as the disaster. Many, many, many other people obviously see Clinton as the disaster. That leaves a group who think they're both disasters. Republican voters sent a message in the primaries. If there's a year for Democrat voters to send a message, this is it.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:03 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Quote:
Well, get elected in those positions first before moving on to bigger positions.

Like I said before, no one ever expects a newly graduate to get a job as chief engineer right away. Political parties and candidates shouldn't be different.

If you need brain surgery, do you seek out brain surgeons or do you seek out a witch doctor because brain surgeons are the establishment brain surgery people and you are anti establishment?
Well I think running for President let's people know the various 3Rd Parties platform and it also helps generate money.

Libertarian Party, correct me if wrong, is only 45 years old. Where the current 2 Parties are 160 years old.

If experience is a concern it's feasible to say the Libertarian President and Vice President candidatea have more political experience then the Democrats and Republican President and Vice President candidates.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:27 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You see Trump as the disaster. Many, many, many other people obviously see Clinton as the disaster. That leaves a group who think they're both disasters. Republican voters sent a message in the primaries. If there's a year for Democrat voters to send a message, this is it.
Voters can vote for whoever they want.

If you think Clinton and Trump would both be equally dreadful, then go ahead and vote for Johnson or Stein or your dog Spot. It's all good.

But if you are voting to "send a message," ask those who voted for Brexit to "send a message." According to recent polls, over a million voters, 7%, already wish they hadn't done that. Perhaps over time they will change their mind. Or maybe more will join them.

Brexit research suggests 1.2 million Leave voters regret their choice in reversal that could change result | The Independent

Nonetheless, the die is cast and they have to live with the consequences.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Anyone who comes out to publicly claim that voting a third party makes no sense does so in fear of the third party votes making a difference against his/her wishes.

There is no other possible motive.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:49 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Anyone who comes out to publicly claim that voting a third party makes no sense does so in fear of the third party votes making a difference against his/her wishes.

There is no other possible motive.
What possible difference could it make to the Green and Libertarian candidates to get single digit percentages of votes?

Libertarians are for civil liberties, non-interventionism, keeping government out of abortion decisions, laissez-faire capitalism... How does this fit with electing a President who is favor of "stop and frisk," "bomb the hell out of them," punishing women who have abortions, tariffs...

Libertarians are also against the welfare state. Not sure exactly who would want to live in a nation that allowed children to go hungry, but if that's you believe, how does helping to elect Clinton meet this criteria?

Green Party promotes environmentalism, nonviolence, social justice, LGBT rights, and anti-racism. How does this fit with helping to elect Trump?

Ever since I can remember my parents talking about politics, we have always been talking about electing the "lesser of two evils." There has never been an election in my memory when everyone agreed that one candidate was far and away the best.

Dirty politics, accusations of rigged voting, gerrymandering, suppressing the vote, spreading lies... muddies the water.

But the stakes are high. Why stand by the sidelines?

Old 09-25-2016, 01:55 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
I don't care if the 3rd party candidate is on the conservative or liberal side. Voting for a 3rd party candidate for president makes no sense.
they're just around for the sole purpose of being a distraction.
Depends on the election year. Back in a more normal election year it made some sense; if you ever expect a 3rd party to become more accepted, they have to garner votes in a general election. Candidates were mainstream Centrists and not a great risk to tear down the Constitution or to wreck relationships with Allies, etc.

But in this election the stakes are too high to trust to chance; Trump must be defeated at any cost.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
Someday Americans will realize that both major parties are run by the elitists for their benefit. We need a new political party that represents the people.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:56 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Someday Americans will realize that both major parties are run by the elitists for their benefit. We need a new political party that represents the people.
GOP and Democrats. 2 heads of the same lying manipulating beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections