Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times

Advertisements

Disastrous stretch for Gary Johnson gives boost to Clinton | TheHill

Democrats have gone on the attack, using Clinton surrogates President Obama and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to make the argument that a vote for Johnson is a vote for Donald Trump.
Johnson has also received rougher treatment from the press.

Beyond the combative interviews on MSNBC raising questions about his foreign policy credentials, the left-leaning Huffington Post published a story on Thursday with the headline “Ralph Nader supporters warn third-party voters: Don’t make the same mistake!”

anyone know if Gary Johnson was hired to destroy the Libertarian party so they couldn't be spoilers in elections? I wouldn't be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
I want to like Johnson, I really do not want to vote for Trump and there is no way I can vote for Hillary, but I just cannot justify a vote for him. If he did not back amnesty (his website says he doesn't but his speeches make it sounds like he does) and the TPP I would probably vote for him, even though I doubt he has a chance and it may be throwing my vote away.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Disastrous stretch for Gary Johnson gives boost to Clinton | TheHill

Democrats have gone on the attack, using Clinton surrogates President Obama and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to make the argument that a vote for Johnson is a vote for Donald Trump.
Johnson has also received rougher treatment from the press.

Beyond the combative interviews on MSNBC raising questions about his foreign policy credentials, the left-leaning Huffington Post published a story on Thursday with the headline “Ralph Nader supporters warn third-party voters: Don’t make the same mistake!”

anyone know if Gary Johnson was hired to destroy the Libertarian party so they couldn't be spoilers in elections? I wouldn't be surprised.

Of course not, he was just the most recognizable and legitimate candidate they had to offer, probably should have nominated Weld as the primary candidate but too late for that now. Obviously, MSM is doing their part to emphasize Johnson's gaffs without a balanced effort to let the Libertarian message come across. As with most MSM stories, they are greatly exaggerated. More importantly, Johnson is getting the LP some support for LP members running for federal, state, and local elections. If the establishment fears the LP enough to attack them, that's a good sign.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Trump lost a point this week. I suspect more Republicans will go for Johnson than Democrats, but no one is going to know just how the votes landed until after the election.

Johnson hasn't done very well lately, but he's not Donald Trump. Conservative women, minorities, and males who are alarmed at Trump may still find him more acceptable than Clinton to them.

7% is the spoiler. If a 3rd party can get 7% or more, one candidate loses, traditionally. The loser is usually the least personally popular as well.
This election is different; both candidates are disliked more than liked. There will be a lot of parsing going on to learn how many voters went 3rd party after this one, and it could be a harbinger of the future for both major parties.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:06 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Hillary needs all the help she can get, all the projections for her are based on her getting the same turnout as Obama in 2008, and 2012.

We all know that just ain't gonna happen.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Makes no sense to me. Trump and Clinton are absolute fools and are not fit to be commander in chief. Gary Johnson and Bill Weld are viable, qualified men of integrity who are on the ballot in all 50 states. They should've made a far bigger impact on this race. The mainstream media's assault on Gary Johnson sanctioned by the Clinton campaign might be brainwashing the average voter, but Gary Johnson will be guaranteed by vote on November 8th no matter what.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:14 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I'm going to have to go with "crash and burn" rather than fading, but yes, Hillary does seem to be picking up the disaffected Johnson voters.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM

491 posts, read 319,727 times
I'm still skeptical of the conventional wisdom that says that Johnson is hurting Clinton more than Trump.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
I'm still skeptical of the conventional wisdom that says that Johnson is hurting Clinton more than Trump.

There is plenty of polling data that proves it is true.

Data: Gary Johnson pulling more votes away from Hillary than Trump - Red Alert Politics

It also isn't unusual for the Libertarian candidate to have better numbers early in the election season. As the time to really vote approaches many people decide to vote R or D instead. This year with Trump being such a horrible candidate, I suspect that many Johnson voters will vote for Clinton to avoid the horrifying prospect of Trump winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections