Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Journalists Disclose which candidates they give cash to?
YES, the media source should make it easy for its audience to see who their journalists donate to 8 50.00%
No, they should, but they shouldn't be required 5 31.25%
No, we can trust the media to be fair, even if they give lopsided amounts to one side 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Poor analogy.

Commercial bankers have very little to no influence over how the public perceives the candidates. Conversely a free and independent press is needed in our constitutional republic.
Having them favoring one side while actively participating in undermining the other is not the free press the Founding Fathers wanted for a healthy society.
Sure they are not controlled by the present government per se, but since their ideologies align, it is in effect the same thing.
The statement was meant to reflect that NO one needs to wear their political affiliation on their sleeve. It's a private matter and uniquely American. Journalists are held to a standard, as am I. If a consumer doesn't like the news outlet, or my deal, they can shop elsewhere.

For example I enjoy NPR, but I'll be damned if I paid Daniel Schoor any attention when he opined. I could care a less if he donated to Kermit the Frog. He was intolerable to me.

P.S.- Have you ever studied the press of the past? They routinely and unabashedly skewered politicians not in their favour. In fact modern 'msm' pales in comparison.

Quote:
With the formation of the first two political parties in the 1790s, Both parties set up national networks of newspapers to provide a flow of partisan news and information for their supporters. The newspapers also printed pamphlets, flyers, and ballots that voters could simply drop in the ballot box.

Federalist poster about 1800. Washington (in heaven) tells partisans to keep the pillars of Federalism, Republicanism and Democracy
By 1796, both parties had a national network of newspapers, which attacked each other vehemently. The Federalist and Republican newspapers of the 1790s traded vicious barbs against their enemies.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_m...rican_politics

To skewer a politician is more American than apple pie! Go America!!!

Last edited by Threerun; 10-17-2016 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
How much as Hannity donated to Trump? And should Fox News have announced that Roger Ailes was having lunch with Trump all the time?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:46 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How much as Hannity donated to Trump? And should Fox News have announced that Roger Ailes was having lunch with Trump all the time?

Hannity is not a journalist. He's a commentator. He makes it 100% clear he is for Trump. Different compared to other people who claim to be neutral but are clearly in collusion with the Clinton campaign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections