Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 04:34 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Donald Trump’s odds to win the U.S. presidential election may not match that of bookmaker’s favorite Hillary Clinton, but a late surge of bets have been placed on the Republican candidate ahead of the final presidential debate on Wednesday.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...?client=safari

Uh-oh. Anybody else throwing some money down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
Here is another article about this, with it being noted that the surge was prior to the third debate:

Donald Trump Bets Increase Just Like Brexit: Bookmakers

Did you 'throw some money down' OP?

Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
I will also note that I do not see the true parallels between the Brexit vote, which after all was a nationwide referendum requiring but a simple majority for passage (or rejection) and the Presidential election.

While we certainly have the 'nationwide popular vote', such does not determine the presidency. Rather, it is the state-by-state vote that is important, with each candidate vying for the Electoral college votes of each state.

Donald John Trump will certainly ring up many votes, especially in the mid-west. Indeed, let us assume that he receives 99 percent of the Texas vote (a reliably Republican state): that does not mean that he is awarded more than the 38 electoral votes slated for Texas.

I have noted for a year or more that I take polls with a grain of salt, since many pollsters are still experimenting with how to poll accurately, given the mass movement of people (especially younger) from having 'land lines' versus cellular telephones. It is why Gallup is not taking part in the presidential race this time.

However, that does not mean that I utterly reject all polling data, especially the more specialized polls that will poll only black Americans, Hispanics, women with a college degree, men without a college degree, etc. Mr. Trump does poorly in many of these specialized categories.

I also like to remind people that both major political parties pay for private polling. It is an assumption, perhaps unfounded, that these polls may be more accurate than the public polls. However, it does appear that members of the Republican party believe their own private polling. As I have said, if the Republicans saw a surge in support for Mr. Trump, you would have more Republicans running for election or re-election jumping on the Trump bandwagon. Yet, I do not see this happening.

It was not for willy-nilly reasons that Mr. Ryan told Republicans running for 'down ballot' offices to essentially disengage themselves from Mr. Trump.

In past elections, when you had a popular candidate holding rallies, local politicians would (state and local levels) appear at said rallies to show their support for said popular candidate, and hopefully obtain votes by that method. I certainly do not see that happening with Trump rallies. He appears to have a set guest list of speakers, whom travel with him from place to place.

Yet, I do not think that Mr. Trump has 'no chance' to win. Only a fool would claim that. Indeed, if betting on the presidential race were legal in the US, and if the bookie gave me attractive odds (such as, for every dollar I bet on Mr. Trump, I would receive $300 if he did win), I would certainly pluck down $10. I have been known to bet on horses with the same odds, although to date such horses usually come in close to last (no doubt, one or two are still struggling to cross the finish line, even months later).

Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I will also note that I do not see the true parallels between the Brexit vote, which after all was a nationwide referendum requiring but a simple majority for passage (or rejection) and the Presidential election.

While we certainly have the 'nationwide popular vote', such does not determine the presidency. Rather, it is the state-by-state vote that is important, with each candidate vying for the Electoral college votes of each state.

Donald John Trump will certainly ring up many votes, especially in the mid-west. Indeed, let us assume that he receives 99 percent of the Texas vote (a reliably Republican state): that does not mean that he is awarded more than the 38 electoral votes slated for Texas.

I have noted for a year or more that I take polls with a grain of salt, since many pollsters are still experimenting with how to poll accurately, given the mass movement of people (especially younger) from having 'land lines' versus cellular telephones. It is why Gallup is not taking part in the presidential race this time.

However, that does not mean that I utterly reject all polling data, especially the more specialized polls that will poll only black Americans, Hispanics, women with a college degree, men without a college degree, etc. Mr. Trump does poorly in many of these specialized categories.

I also like to remind people that both major political parties pay for private polling. It is an assumption, perhaps unfounded, that these polls may be more accurate than the public polls. However, it does appear that members of the Republican party believe their own private polling. As I have said, if the Republicans saw a surge in support for Mr. Trump, you would have more Republicans running for election or re-election jumping on the Trump bandwagon. Yet, I do not see this happening.

It was not for willy-nilly reasons that Mr. Ryan told Republicans running for 'down ballot' offices to essentially disengage themselves from Mr. Trump.

In past elections, when you had a popular candidate holding rallies, local politicians would (state and local levels) appear at said rallies to show their support for said popular candidate, and hopefully obtain votes by that method. I certainly do not see that happening with Trump rallies. He appears to have a set guest list of speakers, whom travel with him from place to place.

Yet, I do not think that Mr. Trump has 'no chance' to win. Only a fool would claim that. Indeed, if betting on the presidential race were legal in the US, and if the bookie gave me attractive odds (such as, for every dollar I bet on Mr. Trump, I would receive $300 if he did win), I would certainly pluck down $10. I have been known to bet on horses with the same odds, although to date such horses usually come in close to last (no doubt, one or two are still struggling to cross the finish line, even months later).
"I will also note that I do not see"

Not surprised!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:40 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,615 times
Of course..not all see it this way...

Bookmaker Already Paying Bettors Who Bet On Clinton Victory

Old 10-22-2016, 11:46 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
The UK has a much larger percentage of less educated whites than does the USA. The makeup of the US electorate is far more diverse and one should not expect a similar result.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 24 days ago)

27,637 posts, read 16,123,288 times
I bet my childs future... oh wait, hilLIARy is betting that

Old 10-22-2016, 12:05 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times
I'm not surprised, they've seen the unreliable/fake polling firsthand with the Brexit polls.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:31 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The UK has a much larger percentage of less educated whites than does the USA. The makeup of the US electorate is far more diverse and one should not expect a similar result.
So says a typical elitist snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections