Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,288,500 times

Advertisements

The DNC pays.

And, btw, I wasn't happy paying for that unnecessary Iraq War, either.

"There are payments that are made by the [Democratic National Committee] to the federal government anytime the president is traveling for political purposes," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters, who were also flying aboard the presidential 747. "Those rules apply both for routine fundraising trips but also when Secretary Clinton is aboard Air Force One."

Did Taxpayers Pay For President Obama's Campaigning For Hillary Clinton? : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,948,174 times
Wait! The Trump Cult may actually have a point here...

Obama should stay in Washington and fulfill his duties by filling the Supreme Court and other federal judgeship vacancies...

Oh, wait...
nevermind.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post

Obama should stay in Washington and fulfill his duties by filling the Supreme Court and other federal judgeship vacancies...
And working out a deal on the ACA with the R leadership.

Quote:
Oh, wait...
nevermind.
Never mind indeed. In fact, you could make the case that Obama IS trying to tackle all these unresolved issues, by doing his best to get a lame-duck Congress to deal with him on them.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,998,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yep. There are formulas for reimbursement by campaigns and to campaigns that need to be followed.

For example, the Secret Service agents that travel on Trump's plane to protect him results in an established amount of reimbursement to his campaign.

For more information, folks may want to refer to this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ers-money.html

There are other threads as well.
Well according to the article that I just aded in ... One hour of use of rAir Force one is 206,337.00 and The Hillary Campaign Reimbursed 36k. So what about the difference?

Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,130,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually they havent.. And Obama probably isnt either..

By law, they are required to reimburse the costs..
Except for the Secret Service and security, that's on the taxpayer's dime. Every President, because he is the leader of the political party he belongs to, campaigns for his party.

The opposite party does the traditional whine about the costs. Same old same old. Double standard.

Who Pays When the President Travels for Campaign Events? - ABC News

"In the case of political travel by the president, there are rules that the federal government be reimbursed by the appropriate political organization for the costs of the travel.

...But while relevant political organizations may be on the hook for paying part of the costs associated with the plane’s operation, there are additional security costs associated with presidential travel that do fall to the taxpayers."

Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,249,787 times
Quote:

Oh, wait...
nevermind.
I wasn't aware Congress, or any other branch, had a duty to fill every empty seat. The President has a right to nominate, or not, and Congress has the right to confirm, or not. These pathetic whiny cry baby comments get you nowhere.

Full disclosure I'm against filling the seat with another Scalia. I would like to see all seats filled with people who will defend the Constitution as it is written but Scalia took it too far on a number of issues; conversely Ginsburg has done the same for the liberal agenda and I dont support filling vacancies that way either. If you don't like what the Constitution says then ammend it. The Constitution has been ammended 27 times since it was ratified including once in my life and 5 times in my parents.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,948,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I wasn't aware Congress, or any other branch, had a duty to fill every empty seat. The President has a right to nominate, or not, and Congress has the right to confirm, or not. These pathetic whiny cry baby comments get you nowhere.

Full disclosure I'm against filling the seat with another Scalia. I would like to see all seats filled with people who will defend the Constitution as it is written but Scalia took it too far on a number of issues; conversely Ginsburg has done the same for the liberal agenda and I dont support filling vacancies that way either. If you don't like what the Constitution says then ammend it. The Constitution has been ammended 27 times since it was ratified including once in my life and 5 times in my parents.
Actually, this entire thread is an example of "pathetic whiny cry baby comments get you nowhere"...

Regardless of your (unsolicited and irrelevant) philosophical views about filling the Supreme Court vacancies... it is the Congress' duty to provide a timely hearing for all of the presidential judicial appointees. It's not a question of "confirmation", as Congress has failed even to initiate the process, in contravention to its Constitutional duties. So it's ironic that Obama's detractors haven't addressed the GOP Congress and its failure to perform the simplest and most neutral of tasks.

I really didn't think it was going to be necessary to explain this.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post

They have a duty to vote on the nomination - not to automatically confirm if there is a reasonable basis for not doing so, but not to ignore their constitutional obligation to act on the President's nomination rather than leave a vacant seat on the bench for months out of political gamesmanship.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,431,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Well we are living in the present times. Please send examples...Why is it okay ?
Translation: it's OK when Republicans do it.

Selective outrage = a conservative staple.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,998,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99others View Post
You expect him to take the bus and be guarded by an old lady with an umbrella?

All of the sudden it's an issue because it's Obama, but when it was a Republican President doing it, it was fine for the same hypocrites.
Can you please forward me the evidence of what president ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections