Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:34 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,737,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
If it is not listed in the Constitution, then it is not the power of the federal government.
It's in the Constitution. Article V You just are blinding yourself to the truth.

Quote:
Article 5 is irrelevant here.
No it isn't.

Let me throw some of your nonsensical "logic" back at you: Show where it says in the Constitution that Article V is not where any changes to the union are addressed.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:40 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,912,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's in the Constitution. Article V You just are blinding yourself to the truth.
New to proper discussion and debate are we? All it takes is you taking your initial premise, quoting the specific supporting elements and then showing how it validates your claim.

Get to it or get moving!

Quote:
No it isn't.
Brilliant rebuttal, your debate skills are quite remarkable.

Quote:
Let me throw some of your nonsensical "logic" back at you: Show where it says in the Constitution that Article V is not where any changes to the union are addressed.
You want me to make your argument for you? LOL

How old are you?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:44 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,737,777 times
Quote:
New to proper discussion and debate are we?
You're the new user here with practically no reputation to speak of.

Quote:
How old are you?
A question that shows that you have no idea how to engage in an online discussion on C-D. Friendly Hint: Trying to insinuate that the person you're talking with is young is a sure-fire sign you realize that your comments have no merit (doubly so when the person you're talking with has been participating in online forums for over thirty years). Stick to the topic if you want your comments to be considered potentially credible.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 726,437 times
Some people earn ignore quickly; the above poster qualifies.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:16 PM

37,327 posts, read 19,317,467 times
Quote:

Here is the real cornerstone speech:

"Believing strongly in states’ rights and the extension of slavery, he found common ground with fellow-Georgian Alexander H. Stephens."

State's Rights AND the extension of slavery. The two go together in this context like ham and rye.

"Toombs had always made a powerful impression on the public with his emotive oratory, backed by a strong physical presence, but his intemperate habits and volatile personality limited his career potential."

Sounds like your buddy was the template for Donald Trump's shenanigans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Toombs

Old 10-29-2016, 03:46 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,647,222 times
Quote:
New to proper discussion and debate are we? All it takes is you taking your initial premise, quoting the specific supporting elements and then showing how it validates your claim.

Get to it or get moving!

Brilliant rebuttal, your debate skills are quite remarkable.

You want me to make your argument for you? LOL

How old are you?
Since you're new here... The argument over the causes of the Civil War has come up several times here on CD and the idea that it wasn't about slavery is patently, factually and historically false. The whole economics argument and states rights blah blah BS was invented AFTER the war in an effort to make the South look better and cover up the fact that it was all about slavery. The North may not have gone to war to free the slaves, but the South sure as hell went to war to keep them. About half of the seceding states published lists of specific grievances, kind of like the Declaration of Independence and almost all of them mention preserving slavery as a major theme.

It's the idea that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery and was about economics and states rights that is the revisionist history, it's just OLD revisionist history that was allowed to go unchallenged for way too long. To the point where textbook publishers actually made different versions of history books just for the former confederate states so they could teach their own kids lies to absolve the South from being the bad guys.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:49 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,926,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know 'states rights' just has the ring of 'Whites Only' to me. That is the vibe I get.
You think everything has the "Ring" of whites only, that is why the call you Ringo. Racist much?

Old 10-29-2016, 04:11 PM

12,066 posts, read 6,615,551 times
I think environmental policies would be the most problematic to give states more power over.
Their individual policies could affect the surrounding states and impact the quality of water, air, and wildlife.
So I would want the Feds to keep control over environmental issues.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 PM

8,605 posts, read 11,049,329 times
Quote:
Fourteenth Amendment:

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. ... The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Of course, when Trump says, "Make America Great Again" it begs the question about when Trump thought America was great. Clearly it must be some point before women and people of color got to vote, so it makes sense that his supporters would seek to undo 150 years of progress, make women live again as chattel, return African Americans to slavery in some form, etc., and ignore the fact that the Fourteenth Amendment was passed after the Tenth and changed the nature of the republic into a definitively federal republic.

Yes, there is no surprise that the rightists are trying to re-fight the Civil War. What they want lost that war, and they've been bitter about how things have gotten better for those less fortunate in society ever since.
Your biased comment begs for a response.
I don't know how old, or young you are, but, having been on earth for 77(going on 78) years, I have seen so much change in this country, and much of it bad, especially the last forty some odd years.

I certainly remember when America was great.
I lived it, and the greatness was not due to white superiority , nor black suppression, or eliminating women's rights.
The great America I remember was not that long ago.
One would only have to go back to the mid fifties to early sixties to feel the country was great.

Today, our society, and country is a mess.
Technology is to blame for much of it.

Back in the decade of mid fifties to mid sixties I speak of, things were easier.
Leaders in our country were respected.
Values were much different then, compared to today.
Police were respected as protectors of the people, not the enemy.
People valued personal contact with one another, not relying on some keyboard and touchscreen to make their daily human contact.
That will never change now, because we live in a different time.
There are many things that made America great back then.

During WWII, people gave of themselves for the betterment of the country.
Sadly that love of country is lost, perhaps forever.
There is no country pride any longer.
There seems to be no clear line between right and wrong.

We have moved to the point where it doesn't matter who we elect as the leader of our country.
We have stooped so low as a nation, and our moral character has dwindled down to the fact that possibly electing a person who could very well be spending time in jail, matters very little to us.

Yes, I knew America when it was great, and I can't blame Trump for wanting to see that again, but the reality is, not he, or anyone else will ever be capable of achieving that goal.
There is an old saying, "you can never go back", and that is the point in time we are faced with today.

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 10-29-2016 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 04:43 PM

70 posts, read 38,396 times
Quote:
Living in the South, I can assure you that that would be absolutely horrendous. Many of the states down here behave in a patently immoral manner, especially as it pertains to their most important priority, how their society treats its most vulnerable members. We have government officials - not right-wing nut-jobs living in the backwoods but actual government officials - regularly placing the comfort and luxury of the rich over the basic needs of the poor. We have government officials bombastically championing one or more of the deplorable perspectives: racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, Islamophobia, self-ratified self-motivation, callous disregard for those less fortunate. It's rampant. Even with the federal government involved as much as it is today, we're seeing some of these states actively working to disenfranchise American citizens on the basis of race or economic status. Sometimes it seems as if the only thing holding back the re-institution of slavery is the federal government.
I remember when Bill Clinton was mad because he wanted to get Hillary the presidency but
Obama got the support. Bill Clinton in his anger said. "a few years ago Obama would be carrying my luggage"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections