Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Virginia’s recent political history has seen multiple races that were decided by tiny margins. The 2014 U.S. Senate race, for example, was decided by only 17,000 votes, while the attorney general’s race came down to a mere 165 votes.

It is partisanship to attempt to change state law a few months before an election by executive order. I personally think an ex felon who has completed sentence and probation should have voting rights restored. The issue is timing and executive order by a partisan Democrat Governor who had no right to make that decision unilaterally.
My reaction was based on the source (The Daily Caller) used by the OP and the comment that followed. I am also tired of the continuous whining by Trump that the system is rigged. Last night he lied about busloads of Hispanics voting after hours in Nevada. Today he said (referring to McAuliffe)

"He's letting criminals cancel out the votes of law-abiding citizens," Trump told a cheering crowd in Leesburg, Va., on Nov. 7."

[URL="The Latest: Trump raps McAuliffe for restoring voting rights"]The Latest: Trump raps McAuliffe for restoring voting rights[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are you insinuating all felons in Virginia are black? Well color me surprised.
No, I'm citing the reason McCauliffe gave. I'm not surprised that you didn't catch that. You seem to be very focused on YOUR narrative, and deliberately ignoring anything that would suggest otherwise.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:54 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Don't you just love the way dems argue that the VA Gov. is doing this simply because it's the right thing to do and there is no political agenda involved - when the documented trail of money says otherwise.

Another reason to drain the swamp.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:56 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
So Trump supporters please save us the fake outrage.

In some states people can vote from prison(ME, VT).

In 15 states people can vote after they finish their incarceration term: DC, HI, IL, IN, MD, MA, MI, NH, MO, ND, OH, OR, PA, RI and UT

Then 19 other states allow voting after probation: AK, AR, GA, ID, KS, LA, MN, MO, NE, NJ, NM, NC, OK, SC, SD, TX, WA, WV and WI
As was pointed out in several posts, this makes little difference in the overall results and rights a wrong that has gone on for too long.

Keep up the good work, Governor.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:

In 15 states people can vote after they finish their incarceration term: DC, HI, IL, IN, MD, MA, MI, NH, MO, ND, OH, OR, PA, RI and UT

Then 19 other states allow voting after probation: AK, AR, GA, ID, KS, LA, MN, MO, NE, NJ, NM, NC, OK, SC, SD, TX, WA, WV and WI
Thank you for this informative post.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:

Interesting.

I live in Colorado. I was convicted of a felony 19 years ago. Was not sentenced to a day in prison (first time offense; drug posession) & I have voted in every election before & after.

That felony continues to haunt me in many ways (pled guilty prior to being informed that my arresting officer had been found guilty of Misconduct; admitted to planting evidence)
... but I refuse to let voting be one of them. Since 1997 I've never even had as much as a parking ticket.

I've always voted within the precinct I was registered in, in person (vs mai-lin/drop-off ballot) & have never had an issue.

I've been employed, paid my income taxes. Owned property; paid my taxes. Am a consumer; pay my sales taxes ..."No taxation without representation ..."

If given the choice between never paying any tax ever again or voting ... I would choose my right to vote.

Don't know if this matters but I'm a Republican. Conservative.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:06 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Before the Republicans get in a tizzy on here, it WAS Republican Bob McDonnell who started the whole "give back voting rights to felons" thing.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did you see my last paragraph in blue in the OP? Those receiving pardons likely are not properly vetted.

If they paid their time - that's fine. My guess is that is not the case for all that are pardoned.

Does 20,000-30,000 make a difference... ask the governor who did this a day before the election.

Please explain what you mean. Let's say the Gov of VA pardoned the number of felons you claim. The deadline for voter registration in Viriginia was October 21. So how would this impact the election?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Before the Republicans get in a tizzy on here, it WAS Republican Bob McDonnell who started the whole "give back voting rights to felons" thing.
Thank you for posting this.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
They will vote for Trump.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The Daily Caller?? The entire article is grossly exaggerated. There are residents of Virginia who have served their sentences, gone through a long probation period, and have not been able to vote. The Governor has been trying to restore their rights for a long time. There are also not 60,000 as reported, since many haven't even registered. Do you really believe in a state in which Clinton has been leading by double digits and is now ahead by as many as 15 points, according to the latest polls, 20 to 30,000 votes will make a difference?

In 2012, there were approximately 5.4 million registered voters in Virginia. Approx 3.9 million people voted in Nov 2012. And Trump supporters are whining about a possible 60,000 people who were pardoned and might register to vote and might vote for Hillary Clinton?
Republicans have to be vigilant in keeping the voting electorate as small as possible because they know broad diverse electorates tend to go D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections