Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:20 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Why did Hillary do relatively poorly among hispanics, in your opinion, considering she was up against Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 05:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
I would suggest that the Hispanic roofer/carpenter/plumber/contractor/business owner who is looking across the street at the illegal immigrants doing the same job he is played a huge roll.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Most Hispanics are Roman Catholic and her extreme left wing view of the social issues did not sit well with them. She should have at least toned down her rhetoric on late term abortion, repealing the Hyde Amendment, and support for Planned Parenthood if she wanted to win any segment of the population that is largely Roman Catholic.

Perhaps because he is a man, Obama was not nearly as vocal about these issues.

P.S. I am NOT a Hillary voter, just adding my $.02.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:39 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Hillary had hot sauce in her purse. It was kept out of sight just like the Hispanics would be if she was elected.

Trump had a taco bowl and photo in full view and would provide employment with his policy's which they could see.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would suggest that the Hispanic roofer/carpenter/plumber/contractor/business owner who is looking across the street at the illegal immigrants doing the same job he is played a huge roll.
^^^ This.

I know plenty of Hispanics, legal residents and citizens, most of them independent small business owners and executive class professionals, who did not support Bill Clinton's wife, main reason being they don't need to be told that they are some contrived group of dependent idiots.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Why people think Hispanic is are one unified block I have no idea. Liberals seem to think all minorities think the same way which is racist. There are liberal and conservative Hispanics just like there are liberal and Conservative white people. A Cuban American who fled a communist revolution has little in common with a Mexican migrant worker in California other than they both speak Spanish.
A Mexican American who went through the hassle of immigrating here legally or was born and raised here for generations isn't going to be the first to embrace someone who's simply just sneaking in.

Mexico has 10 political parties, yet everybody thinks here they suddenly can be 100% represented by just one.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
I was watching PBS on election night. Around 2 Am, a correspondent claimed to have demographic results from early Hispanic voters in Miami-Dade: it showed that 40% of Hispanic males voted not Clinton. The correspondent cited possible sexism as the reason. The day of the election a poll was released showing Hispanics in Florida against illegal immigration by a slight margin.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Hillary choose to lump them in with the illegal immigrants, which is foolish considering in the southwest many Hispanic families have been here since it was Mexico, and have no interest in being combined with a group of law breakers, many of those families are just like everybody else. OUtside of the liberal corporate strongholds the rest of us are struggling to pay bills, find suitable jobs, and to keep roofs over our heads. They were not buying that the last 8 years have been great or that the next 4 years being like the last 8 years was good for the rest of us. Add that to the anti-catholic rhetoric coming from Hillary, and she should be happy she did as well as she did.

Like it or not without the media pushing Hillary's message of how terrible Trump was and what a racist he was, I would guess that Hillary would have actually done much worse with the Hispanic vote. There are just too many low information voters out there that only watched a few commercials and the news occasionally that voted for Hillary.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:11 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I think one factor is that "Hispanics are all not the same". Some Mexicans hate Cubans, some Cubans hate people from Chile, some people from Chile hate Mexicans, etc, etc. When Trump was saying we need to keep out illegals, each of those groups thought he meant the other group.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think one factor is that "Hispanics are all not the same". Some Mexicans hate Cubans, some Cubans hate people from Chile, some people from Chile hate Mexicans, etc, etc. When Trump was saying we need to keep out illegals, each of those groups thought he meant the other group.
Thanks for calling a spade a spade ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections