Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A year ago, did you think Repubs were about to be extenguished due to demographics
I'm liberal and I thought Repubs were about to be extenguished 6 12.24%
I'm Democrat and I didn't think Repubs were about to be extenguished 2 4.08%
I'm Republican and I thought Repubs were about to be extenguished 2 4.08%
I'm Republican and I knew Repubs wouldn't be extenguished 30 61.22%
I thought the Dems were about to be wiped out 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:26 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Both major parties are well along in the process of destroying themselves; the only thing that keeps either of them afloat at this point is that they're the only two major parties on the ballot - who else are you going to vote for if not a Republican or a Democrat?

People are completely fed up with both of them. We just finished a campaign that featured the two candidates who are by far the most hated and least trusted and respected candidates we have ever had to select from - but these were our two options because neither party could think of a better candidate for us. The one message both parties should take away from this election is that people are sick of the the two parties forcing us to vote for candidates who we do not feel understand our concerns or represent our interests, but what I think they are going to take away from it instead is this - the Republicans are going to "learn" that half the voters in the country can still be counted on to elect ignorant imbeciles who only want to give tax cuts to the wealthy, and the Democrats are going to "learn" that even as horrible as Hillary was, she almost won anyway, so the only thing they need to do differently is nominate a candidate who is just slightly less despicable.

And the beat goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 05:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
^ I agree. Republicanism as we knew it a decade ago, or even five years ago, is gone. Democratism (?) is changing rapidly. Trump isn't really a republican... I think both parties are on their way to being extinguished, which I can't say is a bad thing.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
^ I agree. Republicanism as we knew it a decade ago, or even five years ago, is gone. Democratism (?) is changing rapidly. Trump isn't really a republican... I think both parties are on their way to being extinguished, which I can't say is a bad thing.
Well yeah, people are clamoring for alternatives but how is that going to happen?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:32 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
GOP totally wiped out? No. Unable to win the White House anymore? Yes.

I expected Democrats to keep winning presidential elections which have high turnout but GOP would keep control of state local and federal races in most states that aren't experiencing rapid demographic change. I expected long term gridlock similar to what we've experienced with Obama as president and GOP controlling everything else, eventually leading to a mutual split of red and blue states. I still think red and blue states will eventually go separate ways.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:00 AM

772 posts, read 390,761 times
After 8 years of Obama politics, I know lots people who were dissatisfied. People, including myself didn't like the way our country was systematically being destroyed by the democratic party.

Many switched from Democratic to Republican because of the dems alt left agenda.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:29 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
After 8 years of Obama politics, I know lots people who were dissatisfied. People, including myself didn't like the way our country was systematically being destroyed by the democratic party.

Many switched from Democratic to Republican because of the dems alt left agenda.
I would also say that I've gone from center left to center right or actually I've stayed the same and the parties have shifted and I've landed where I 've landed. I'm definitely to the left of center on many issues but I want a balanced budget, secure borders, safe cities, immigration that improves the nation (for example, PhD's from out top universities), balanced environmental policies, and as little corruption as possible. I also support equal marriage rights, legalized pot, socialized medicine. I realize no candidate covers my exact preferences so choices were made on priorities.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:20 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I couldn't vote in your poll. None of the options represent my view.

I still do. Trump has DESTROYED the GOP as we knew it. The GOP just doesn't know it yet. One year from now, they'll probably be catching on. Stay tuned and bookmark this post.
Just as Governor Schwarzenegger left the Republicans in California

Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
A year ago, did you think Republicans were about to be wiped out due to demographic changes?
actually I was talking to hubby about this earlier today: I can't believe how many people, especially libs here on cd that were telling us, we would possibly never see a Republican Pres again and certainly not for several years: now what are they saying?

Old 11-23-2016, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
don't totally agree with you but understand what you are saying. We all know he isn't a true conservative, yet look at the cabinet he is choosing. That says something about his ideas and what direction he wants to take the country. Now let's see what he does with the supreme court. We need to all give him a chance. I do agree totally that we are not the party of 10 years ago. Yes, we have changed and change is good, but basically we are not that far removed from years past.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:04 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
One calendar year ago, I was sure that in 2017, our president would be Jeb Bush, John Kasich or Marco Rubio. I was convinced that the Sarah Palin - Pat Buchanan - Hannity/O'Reilly/Limbaugh wing of the Republican party was indeed finished; but that a more pragmatic, free-market, free-trade, immigration-reform wing of the party was ascendant. As it turns out, I was exactly wrong. What actually happened was the diametrical opposite of what expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections