Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times

Advertisements

Well, we shall see if America turns on "Him". As a culture we sure do this a lot. Look how we built up, then tore down Brittny Spears, Michael Jackson, etc.

Also, this is just the beginning of the media really eyeballing Mr. O. They have been worshipful so far, but the the Rezko (sp) story just starting to heat up I think they smell blood.

Remember what happed to Gary Hart? Overnight, he was toast. Maybe a better comparison would be McGovern. The media turned on him overnight.

Break out the popcorn, this is getting good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
You people just dont get it.

Americans are clamoring for hope and change. Hillary and McCain come off as frigid relics of the cold war who are mired in old school politics. The kind of politics that people like me are sick and tired of.

Were Hillary the clear frontrunner Id support her because she's the lesser of two evils. BUT WHY support her when there is someone actually favorable? Someone who represents the change and hope that I so desparately want? Change that really can never be had with either Clinton or McCain because they are all about perpetuating the same old rhetoric, the same old agenda, the same old fight.

I dont want to fight anymore. I just want change and I want it now. And Barack Obama has stuck to that message from day one. And now I believe him and am willing to give him a chance to make it happen.

Dont begrudge me for that.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You people just dont get it.

Americans are clamoring for hope and change. Hillary and McCain come off as frigid relics of the cold war who are mired in old school politics. The kind of politics that people like me are sick and tired of.

Were Hillary the clear frontrunner Id support her because she's the lesser of two evils. BUT WHY support her when there is someone actually favorable? Someone who represents the change and hope that I so desparately want? Change that really can never be had with either Clinton or McCain because they are all about perpetuating the same old rhetoric, the same old agenda, the same old fight.

I dont want to fight anymore. I just want change and I want it now. And Barack Obama has stuck to that message from day one. And now I believe him and am willing to give him a chance to make it happen.

Dont begrudge me for that.
Hey, believe in him, chant his name, vote for him. It's your choice.

It's clear you really like the guy. Did you read the link the op provided? Looks like it happened and if it did, that is not a sign of Hope and Change. It's a sign that he's a weasley politician. No better than most of the old guard in the Congress.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
So Obama is FOR NAFTA ?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Hey, believe in him, chant his name, vote for him. It's your choice.

It's clear you really like the guy. Did you read the link the op provided? Looks like it happened and if it did, that is not a sign of Hope and Change. It's a sign that he's a weasley politician. No better than most of the old guard in the Congress.
Im not looking for perfection-just the candidate I best believe would be an instrument of positive change-imperfections notwithstanding.

And to me, that would be Barack Obama.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM

206 posts, read 627,927 times
"Didn't BO say during the SC debate that he didn't know Rezko personally and that he only worked on his case for 5 hours? Well, there's one lie. Then, it comes trickling out that he had a 17-year relationship with Rezko - but guess what, the Press sleeps! Next, it gets reported that he toured the land site with Rezko - but guess what, the Press sleeps!

How many lies is this guy going to say and get away with before the Press wakes up and actually applies journalistic reporting!!!!!!"

Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im not looking for perfection-just the candidate I best believe would be an instrument of positive change-imperfections notwithstanding.

And to me, that would be Barack Obama.
Fine, go for it. However, you can't expect everyone to be applauding your decision.

It's this whole denial that Obama is a politician that I don't get. They're ALL politicians. The fact that he has run 7 campaigns for himself in the past 15 years makes him even more of a political operative. He doesn't seem to settle in and do the job he was elected to do because he's always campaigning.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Fine, go for it. However, you can't expect everyone to be applauding your decision.
Of course not, but I feel that voting for Barack Obama in the eyes of many in the democratic party is akin to going against the heir apparent-and I dont like being made to feel that suddenly Im part of an extreme cultish subsector of the left.

That's not fair and I really dislike Hillary people for making me, a college-educated, traveled and well versed guy in his 30s, feel like I've been brainwashed or something.

Apparently the audicity of hoping for positive change still irritates many.

Quote:
It's this whole denial that Obama is a politician that I don't get.
Obviously he's a rather good one to be leading at this stage of the primaries.

Quote:
They're ALL politicians. The fact that he has run 7 campaigns for himself in the past 15 years makes him even more of a political operative. He doesn't seem to settle in and do the job he was elected to do because he's always campaigning.
So after Jan 21, we'll see if the Emporer has clothes, but in the meantime, Im willing to give him a chance.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sit tight...Art123 will be here shortly to clear this up.
Just messin' with ya Art.
Ask and ye shall receive!

I think the newsday article does a good job of reporting what happened. This story is being spun like someone in the Obama campaign called the Canadian government to give a "wink-wink" on what Obama has said. Reading the article clearly shows that's not what happened. This Obama economic adviser was invited to take a tour of the Canadian consulate in Chicago. He did not seek out the meeting. He made a few comments about Obama's stance on NAFTA, which has been consistent.

Obama is for renegotiating NAFTA and said in the debate that a threat to opt-out could be used as a negotiating tool. But overall he is for just tweaking it.

"I think we should use the hammer of a potential opt-out as leverage to ensure that we actually get labor and environmental standards that are enforced," Obama said in the debate last week.

Obama's comments about Hillary's stance on NAFTA were that's she has been inconsistent on NAFTA, and like on other issues (take Iraq, e.g.), her positions seem to change with the political winds. He has criticized her and her (changing) stance more so than he has criticized NAFTA itself.

This was the adviser's (Goolsbee) reaction:

Goolsbee said he has been surprised that such a banal and trivial meeting with a low-level consulate official has created so much controversy and resulted in such an inaccurate depiction. He said he was invited to the consulate to meet the officials and get a tour.

He said the visit lasted about 40 minutes, and perhaps two to three minutes were spent discussing NAFTA. He said the Canadians asked about Obama's position, and he replied about his interest in improving labor and environmental standards, and they raised some concerns that Obama sounds like a protectionist.

He said he responded that Obama is not a protectionist, but that the Illinois senator tries to strike a balance between the economic struggles of working Americans and recognizing that free trade is good for the economy.

"That's a pretty ham-handed description of what I answered," Goolsbee said of memo's description of "political positioning." "A: In no possible way was that a reference to NAFTA. And B: In no possible way was I inferring that he was going to introduce any policies that you should ignore and he had no intention of enacting. Those are both completely crazy."

EDIT:
The article has a new addition:
In a statement, the Canadian Embassy expressed regret on how the discussions have been interpreted.
"In the recent report produced by the Consulate General in Chicago, there was no intention to convey, in any way, that Senator Obama and his campaign team were taking a different position in public from views expressed in private, including about NAFTA," the statement said.

Last edited by Art123; 03-03-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
the Press sleeps!

if the press sleeps, how do we all know about it. I have heard these stories on the news for months, so I have to think that the press is telling the stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections