Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Critics dismiss Barack Obama's plans to bring the "two Americas" together. But, his plans may just work.

Taxes: Barack Obama's America blasts the Bush tax cuts for "unfairly" benefiting the rich. They intend to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire, with resulting higher taxes on income, capital gains and dividends.

Townhall.com::Columnists (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/LarryElder/2008/03/13/can_obama_bring_us_together_yes,_he_can - broken link)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
If elected, I don't know if Obama can build any consensus in congress- but whoever is elected needs to try harder than the last two presidents. That said, congress also has to stop with their partisianship as well.

My personal thoughts on Obama in this area is doubtful. The last president to bring parties together was Regan. He did it by the strength of character (whether you like him or not). Clearly, Obama is a fairly weak person. He can't do it the way Regan did, so he will have to do so in other ways. Can he do so? Absolutely. Will he do so? Ah, that is the question. I've seen nothing from him thus far that makes me think he has much of a desire or ability to be a great 'builder of bridges'.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I doubt he can make a difference because just looking at his voting record and his campaign issues he is too the far left of the democratic party.He also did not spend the years becoming a known leader in his own party and few people knew him before he decided to run;but then he had to have support from within the democratic party powerbase that did not want hillary clinton to start with.But just look at what has happened ;his own party is divided and they are calling each other names and even racist. Doesn't sound like a uniter to me at all;as uniters build that up over the years before they run.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
there is just two little things he has to do first
he has to be the nominee
and then he has to win in nov.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Critics dismiss Barack Obama's plans to bring the "two Americas" together. But, his plans may just work.

Taxes: Barack Obama's America blasts the Bush tax cuts for "unfairly" benefiting the rich. They intend to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire, with resulting higher taxes on income, capital gains and dividends.

Townhall.com::Columnists (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/LarryElder/2008/03/13/can_obama_bring_us_together_yes,_he_can - broken link)!
Not if his preacher continues to talk the way he is.. He'll doom Obama's campaign.

Also, did he not just seperate us in the statement you just used to prove he's bringing us together by seperating the rich from everyone else? I guess its ok to seperate us from those people over there, who have money..

Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
I have to wonder about this preacher thing. Maybe because I am Catholic and accept that human priests are not God and may not always be correct or even honorable, I do not condemn the followers of a religon with the rantings of their preachers.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM

413 posts, read 909,732 times
Okay, a big ch!nk in Sen. Obama's armor appeared, at least in my eyes. I've been defending him quite a bit against what I have seen as very stupid and unthoughtful attacks, and I am likely to continue to do so. I have to question this, though:

Why the heck did Sen. Obama approve the immunity clause in the recent Senate FISA bill? This immunity clause gives retroactive immunity to the telecommunications giants that cooperated with the gov't, including my agency, on communications surveillance, rather than giving the courts the right to determine whether such compliance was legal or not.

Kinda pissed.

EDIT: looks like the article I read (Washington Times, so it's not surprising, and I should've been more careful) had it backwards; Obama voted to strip the immunity provisions from the bill, while McCain opposed removing immunity.

That makes McCain an anti-liberties candidate. Won't it be great to have no checks, balances, or reviews of the government's spying on you?

Last edited by burnt; 03-13-2008 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections