Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,841 times

Advertisements

What if David Duke, former member of the KKK, ran for president, and when asked about his membership in the KKK, said, "I didn't know they were racist. I thought they were a nice bunch of Christian boys, burning the cross because they love Jesus and all that. So, since they're controversial, I denounce them." Nobody would buy it, especially this late in the presidential race, but on the other hand, Barrack Obama get's a free pass it seems, and I'm not just talking about the sound bites of the speeches given by Jeremiah Wright. Just look at TUCC's mission statement:

Quote:
Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent.
And where does their loyalty lie?

Quote:
We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization.
Quote:
We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.
For crying out loud, this is the church's mission statement -- look for yourselves:

Trinity United Church of Christ (http://www.tucc.org/about.htm - broken link)

Who would a member of this congregation represent? How many Asians, Latinos, or Whites attend this church? How can somebody possibly deny knowing the church's fundamental mission statements? Who would a member of this congregation unite? What sort of "change" could we expect from a president who's a member of this sort of church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,399,426 times
Seems to me like a very fine church. What do you expect Obama to do? Go to the same church Bush goes to? You people are laughable with your 11th hour desperation and focus on Obama's church. It's really quite pathetic to see.

But, hey, if 61 million people can be fooled into thinking that George Bush deserves another 4 years after his religious guidance was revealed, then I suppose people will conjure up any ridiculous notion to justify not supporting a man because he is black and WINNING.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 AM

510 posts, read 1,460,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
What if David Duke, former member of the KKK, ran for president, and when asked about his membership in the KKK, said, "I didn't know they were racist. I thought they were a nice bunch of Christian boys, burning the cross because they love Jesus and all that. So, since they're controversial, I denounce them." Nobody would buy it, especially this late in the presidential race, but on the other hand, Barrack Obama get's a free pass it seems, and I'm not just talking about the sound bites of the speeches given by Jeremiah Wright. Just look at TUCC's mission statement:

For crying out loud, this is the church's mission statement -- look for yourselves:

Who would a member of this congregation represent? How many Asians, Latinos, or Whites attend this church? How can somebody possibly deny knowing the church's fundamental mission statements? Who would a member of this congregation unite? What sort of "change" could we expect from a president who's a member of this sort of church?

While I agree with you...you have posted the link to their NEW SANITIZED VERSION.

You can find the OLD (prior to last week!) VERSION HERE:

Sweetness & Light

Old 03-18-2008, 03:09 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,579,023 times
Why does Obama have to be accountable for what his pastor "says"? Shouldn't we be accountable for what we "say"? This argument about his pastor makes no sense. Now, I'm not all about what the pastor said, and we all know how the media can splice things up. But, some of it wasnt far from the truth. And who leaked the tape to the media?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,174,375 times
Obama has been going to this church for years. He has listened to it's doctrine and mission statement for years. He has probably been sitting in the church when some of these statements were made and didn't get up an walk out or protest. Now that the media has got a hold of some of the pastor's comments and made them public Obama has to say he doesn't agree with them because he knows it could hurt his campaign. He didn't have a problem with them when he was sitting and listening to his pastor. Sure ruined his "lets bring the people of this this country together" speech for me. If he didn't walk out of the church years ago to protest the churches mission statement, then I guess I know where he stands. I don't know anything about the old version and the sanitized version but I know churches don't change overnight.
No way could I vote for Obama now. His goals are the same as the church he attends or he wouldn't have been going there for all the years he said he has. I had some respect for him before this but now I don't believe anything he says. Talk is cheap. And in my opinion he is a very cheap talker and he knows how to pile it on and make it sound eloquent.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
Frankly speaking, any association the Senator had with this man in the recent past says allot about Obama. He 'preaches'..... bring us together......, but then he has this man as his pastor. I find this to be a conflict- and speaks of the duplicity of ideals that Senator Obama consistently speaks of. Sadly Mr. Obama is no more pure or less of a racist then most of us, too bad he lacks the integrity to admit it, and smears others as racists. Sounds eerliy like the smear tactics used by someone we elected 8 years ago.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,752,437 times
If you are not black, you probably won't understand what the church is about. What is wrong with this

Quote:
We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community
I guess some white christians don't like it when others don't worship like they do. Also, some problems that are facing the black community are different than what might be facing the general population as a whole, so they have specific ministries that address these issues.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Frankly speaking, any association the Senator had with this man in the recent past says allot about Obama. He 'preaches'..... bring us together......, but then he has this man as his pastor. I find this to be a conflict- and speaks of the duplicity of ideals that Senator Obama consistently speaks of. Sadly Mr. Obama is no more pure or less of a racist then most of us, too bad he lacks the integrity to admit it, and smears others as racists. Sounds eerliy like the smear tactics used by someone we elected 8 years ago.
When did Obama smear anyone as a racist?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Obama has been going to this church for years. He has listened to it's doctrine and mission statement for years. He has probably been sitting in the church when some of these statements were made and didn't get up an walk out or protest. Now that the media has got a hold of some of the pastor's comments and made them public Obama has to say he doesn't agree with them because he knows it could hurt his campaign. He didn't have a problem with them when he was sitting and listening to his pastor. Sure ruined his "lets bring the people of this this country together" speech for me. If he didn't walk out of the church years ago to protest the churches mission statement, then I guess I know where he stands. I don't know anything about the old version and the sanitized version but I know churches don't change overnight.
No way could I vote for Obama now. His goals are the same as the church he attends or he wouldn't have been going there for all the years he said he has. I had some respect for him before this but now I don't believe anything he says. Talk is cheap. And in my opinion he is a very cheap talker and he knows how to pile it on and make it sound eloquent.
It's not like you were going to vote for him in the first place anyway.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post

How the hell do you compare KKK with this church? Some of you are really stretching it huh?

Does the KKK feed the poor?, does the kkk visit and minister to those in prison? Does the kkk provide for the homeless? Does the kkk provide help for those with hiv and aids? Did the trinity church murder and lynch people in the past?

Quote:
Rev. Jane Fisler Hoffman, a minister in the United Church of Christ who attends Trinity, recently made a statement about the church -- video of which is available online -- in which she stated that "ministers all around the United Church of Christ -- European-American, African-American, and other denominations -- bring people from their churches to Trinity because the worship is so powerful, the preaching is so meaningful and prophetic." Hoffman went on to add that Trinity "is a church that reaches out to everybody, locally, around the world, all colors, and it just wants to share the gospel and good news of Jesus." Moreover, in an April 2, 2007, posting on the website of the Martin Marty Center -- the institute for advanced research in all fields of the study of religion at the University of Chicago Divinity School -- professor emeritus Martin E. Marty wrote of Trinity: "My wife and I on occasion attend, and, like all other non-blacks, are enthusiastically welcomed."
Media Matters - The View 's Hasselbeck: "[C]an white people go to [Obama's] church?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections