Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Are you sure it was Hillary's? I read it was Obama's passport info that was breached by a government contractor. Condoleeza Rice was all apologetic about it. Either way it's wrong for such a thing to take place. As for the media, I hardly ever pay much attention to it.
Yes, it appears now that ALL 3 of the major candidates have had this happen. It's making big news.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 PM

558 posts, read 385,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Well im glad you can read. Did you watch the actual show?

It was not two hours of Obama bashing.

They read the whole statement and showed it on TV four times.

They were having a discussion that many viewers were watching.

Fox news leans less to the right then all the other stations to the left.

Fair and Balanced no but it is the closest.
OK. If that's what you believe deep down in your heart, that's your choice. The rest of us know better.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
OK. If that's what you believe deep down in your heart, that's your choice. The rest of us know better.
Indeed.

Ken

Old 03-21-2008, 02:53 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Know better? Did you watch the show? I did. Someone posted this link and you read it. From your response seems like you did not.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Know better? Did you watch the show? I did. Someone posted this link and you read it. From your response seems like you did not.
I watch Fox and then turn it off. Why? Because it upsets me on how they are so far to the right and how it's reflected in their programming and news shows.

And this is before this whole contest started. They are just taking it to a whole new level. Fox is owned by Murdoch. He does not want a democratic in office, much less Obama. It is not in his pocket's interest.

We all know this.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
I watch Fox and then turn it off. Why? Because it upsets me on how they are so far to the right and how it's reflected in their programming and news shows.

And this is before this whole contest started. They are just taking it to a whole new level. Fox is owned by Murdoch. He does not want a democratic in office, much less Obama. It is not in his pocket's interest.

We all know this.
So where do you get your news?

CNN a Hillary pusher.

MSNBC and Obama advocate.

FOX puching conservitism but no candidate.

ABC and NBC Obama supporters.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:

We all know this.
Actually I'm not sure that Murdoch made the decision to slant FOX news to the right because of his political beliefs. I think it was a purely business decision. I mean Murdoch is not known for being a particularly conservative guy (at least not as a social conservative). He IS the king of the British tabloids after all, and those rags feature sex, nudity and all kinds of trash that would appall most Americans (Conservatives would have meltdown). They are truly trash, but they sell and make him a LOT of money.

I think he realized that the other news networks had a Liberal slant (which I believe they do - though not nearly to the degree that FOX leans to the right) and that American Rightwingers were starved for a network that presented their side of things - and he was right about that, as FOX's success has shown. FOX folks constantly brag about the strength of their ratings as though that somehow means that more Americans agree with their point of view than with those of the Left-leaning networks, whereas in reality all it really represents is that left-leaning viewers are split between several news sources and right-leaning viewers all flock to FOX.

I DO find it pretty interesting though that even though FOX is a Conservative-leaning network, if you check their content, they ALWAYS tend to be the ones featuring more sex stories and such. This I think comes directly from the top as Murdoch is well aware of how well sex sells. Just look at their website's home page - they've ALWAYS got some story about sex (if nothing else, on their feature "Pop Tarts") - often more than one. So much for the superior morality of the Right eh?

In any event Murdoch has given money to the Clinton campaign (and possibly Obama's too). Not sure who he has given to on the right. Maybe he wants a Democrat to win so that FOX news can stir up controversy and pick up more outraged viewers and boost his profit, or maybe he's just trying to hedge his bets and get on better terms with the possible new Democratic President. After all if the mood of the country is turning against the Republicans (as it seems to be doing) I would think that FOX's ratings will start to take a hit at some point - and of course FOX's ratings translate directly into money for Murdoch so maybe he's hedging his bets or something to try and get in a bit better with an incoming administration (I really don't know).

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-21-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually I'm not sure that Murdoch made the decision to slant FOX news to the right because of his political beliefs. I think it was a purely business decision. I mean Murdoch is not known for being a particularly conservative guy (at least not as a social conservative). He IS the king of the British tabloids after all, and those rags feature sex, nudity and all kinds of trash that would appall most Americans (Conservatives would have meltdown). They are truly trash, but they sell and make him a LOT of money.

I think he realized that the other news networks had a Liberal slant (which I believe they do - though not nearly to the degree that FOX leans to the right) and that American Rightwingers were starved for a network that presented their side of things - and he was right about that, as FOX's success has shown. FOX folks constant brag about the strength of their rating as though tht somehow means that more Americans agree with their point of view than with those of the Left-leaning networks, whereas in reality all it really represents is that left-leaning viewers are split between several news sources and right-leaning viewers all flock to FOX.

I DO find it pretty interesting though that even though FOX is a Conservative-leaning network, if you check their content, they ALWAYS tend to be the ones feature more sex stories and such. This I think comes directly from the top as Murdoch is well aware of how well sex sells. Just look at their website's home page - they've ALWAYS got some story about sex (if nothing else, on their feature "Pop Tarts") - often more than one. So much for the superior morality of the Right eh?

In any event Murdoch has given money to the Clinton campaign (and possibly Obama's too). Not sure who he has given to on the right. Maybe he wants a Democrat to win so that FOX news can stir up controversy and pick up more outraged viewers and boost his profit, or maybe he's just trying to hedge his bets and get on better terms with the possible new Democratic President. After all if the mood of the country is turning against the Republicans (as it seems to be doing) I would think that FOX's ratings will start to take a hit at some point - and of course FOX's ratings translate directly into money for Murdoch so maybe he's hedging his bets or something to try and get in a bit better with an incoming administration (I really don't know).

Ken
Good point. Very well thought out Ken.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:11 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
I DO find it pretty interesting though that even though FOX is a Conservative-leaning network, if you check their content, they ALWAYS tend to be the ones featuring more sex stories and such. This I think comes directly from the top as Murdoch is well aware of how well sex sells. Just look at their website's home page - they've ALWAYS got some story about sex (if nothing else, on their feature "Pop Tarts") - often more than one. So much for the superior morality of the Right eh?
Murdoch is an astute businessman. He knows how to make money. I get the impression he doesn't particularly care who wins the election as long as his business empire continues to make money. The right wing slant of Fox News exists because Murdoch found a very profitable void in the American media landscape which he decided to fill in the 1990s. While ABC, NBC, and CBS filled the airwaves competing with each other with their left-liberal blather, Murdoch saw an opening which he quickly took advantage of: right wing television, which is now a niche for him. If the situation had been reversed and the media was predominantly rightist, I won't be surprised if he took the contrarian position and cast Fox News as the sole liberal network. He would monopolize this segment and make money.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Murdoch is an astute businessman. He knows how to make money. I get the impression he doesn't particularly care who wins the election as long as his business empire continues to make money. The right wing slant of Fox News exists because Murdoch found a very profitable void in the American media landscape which he decided to fill in the 1990s. While ABC, NBC, and CBS filled the airwaves competing with each other with their left-liberal blather, Murdoch saw an opening which he quickly took advantage of: right wing television, which is now a niche for him. If the situation had been reversed and the media was predominantly rightist, I won't be surprised if he took the contrarian position and cast Fox News as the sole liberal network. He would monopolize this segment and make money.
I agree. Indeed he would.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections