Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

Somebody from NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
On the Left, with wide Democratic support, Al Franken.

On the Right, Mike Huckabee.

In 2016 -- Rand Paul. An Independent.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I would gladly support Jindal, but Huckabee and Romney would be tough sells (though I'd likely vote for them just b/c the alternative is Obama). Huckabee reminds me of Bush: social conservative, but otherwise Big Government (R).
Huckabee is in no way a big government Bush clone.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 PM

122 posts, read 224,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I would like Tim Pawlenty to run as the (R) candidate in 2012. It's quite obvious that he is going to throw his hat in the ring, though he has not formally announced and keeps denying it when asked. Other than that, Mike Pence (IN) would be a good (R) candidate. I have reservations about Romney as he was Governor of one of the most liberal states in America. In addition, Romneycare was a flop.

If the (R)s run a real conservative, they will beat Obama. If they run another moderate like McCain, the outcome will be similar to 2008 (though not as severe a landslide, b/c some Obama supporters have already realized they were duped).
I ran a search on the guy, he has a Twitter, though. I'll look into the guy's voting record and see how I like him. I say this because I liked hearing a new name. I'm not too sure he'd be Presidential material, though, he says "2" instead of "to."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
On the Left, with wide Democratic support, Al Franken.

On the Right, Mike Huckabee.

In 2016 -- Rand Paul. An Independent.
+1

I want G Dub back. He's funnier, and he's not as destructive as what'shisface.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Huckabee is in no way a big government Bush clone.
I saw Huck on late in the week and it's clear he has been reading and brushing up. He understood the perils of Gov Healthcare and excess Gov spending cold. If he means what he says, I'll get behind him but we'll see. He's definitely getting better.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:26 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
[quote=MeatLoaf_Enchilada;10182172]I ran a search on the guy, he has a Twitter, though. I'll look into the guy's voting record and see how I like him. I say this because I liked hearing a new name. I'm not too sure he'd be Presidential material, though, he says "2" instead of "to."

I strongly prefer Pawlenty as the GOP nominee for now for a number of reasons. One is that he comes from the MidWest and that is a region where the GOP can gain traction much more easily than the NE and West Coast. He can carry MN, WI, IN, OH, PA, IA and other states. Michigan is pretty blue at this stage, so Obama will carry it in 2012.

He is young and a very eloquent speaker. In addition, he is a true conservative which offers the voters a real choice opposing Obama and his Big Gov agenda.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I won't vote for any candidate who makes private social issues (ie: abortion, gay marriage, religion) a key platform issue. Or demonizes liberals and democrats. In fact, I don't even want to HEAR about those things next time around. I want to hear about the economy, jobs, industry, foreign relations, immigration, health care, military issues, etc.

I don't know if that's asking too much though. Many conservatives won't vote for anyone unless they clearly state they want to overturn RvW or teach intelligent design in the schools.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-09-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Mitt Romney is clearly the best choice for the GOP to run next time around. If they had the good sense to run him last time, we might not be having to endure this Obama nightmare now. Romney is smart and has great leadership skills. He is what this country needs to get back on track.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I wonder if the far right Kristians have any idea what a MORMON will do to their cults. I wonder what he would do to the Catholics.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder if the far right Kristians have any idea what a MORMON will do to their cults. I wonder what he would do to the Catholics.
I suspect he would "do" nothing. As President he wouldnt' be a religious leader. If he began to act like one he would probably be impeached. That goes for anyone who is President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections