Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If every black voter and every white liberal voter went to the polls, I'd agree with you. But that's only compared to the standard white conservative voter turnout.

On the flip side, if every white conservative voter went to the polls, the conservatives would still win comfortably in MS. Of course, for this particular election, I'm not seeing signs that black voters are particularly enthusiastic about voting.
That is actually not true, at least based on demographics. Maximum support from either side comes out near 50/50

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:42 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That is actually not true, at least based on demographics. Maximum support from either side comes out near 50/50
I disagree. Up to 90% of white voters back the GOP in Mississippi, while a slightly higher % of black voters back the Dems in MS: Mississippi Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com. I've seen nothing to suggest that these numbers would change drastically even if voter turnout was 100% among all racial groups in MS. You'd have more blacks voting and more white liberals, but you'd also have more conservative whites voting. Note, in 2008 and 2012 black voter turnout in MS was very high. The math just doesn't work for Democrats in MS and other Deep South states . . . not without support from conservative voters: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ot-flip-missi/

Old 08-17-2018, 06:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
https://www.ibj.com/articles/69563-n...-in-tight-race

This is actually more in line with the other poll that was taken...
The issue is the poll you are citing was taken back at the beginning of July, things have changed since then with the Manafort trial & the Omarosa tapes going public.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:34 AM

639 posts, read 248,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
here is the methodology

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUR...sGoA6Zb93/view

Espy is well liked in Mississippi, there is a reason people saw that race as much closer than the other Senate race in the very same state.

Mississippi, like other Southern States, technically has enough black and white liberals to make any race a toss up, they just dont turn out and vote.
Problem is it doesn't show how many democrats,republicans or race breakdowns....bit weird because EVERY poll I have ever read shows those things.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:59 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I really cannot imagine a scenario where the Democrat holds Indiana. He was elected six years ago because he drew an idiot opponent who could not figure out was rape was. And that was a Presidential year which tends to flush out more Democrats.

If he wins the Democratic wave will have been massive. I just don't have a sense that is the case.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Might need to revise the above, just saw a poll with the Democrat leading in the Mississippi race. Espy who commissioned the Poll is up 3 on (R) Hyde-Smith who is favored to win the republican nomination.

One thing to also keep in mind about this race is a Jungle Primary is taking place on November 6th, if one candidate gets 50% + 1 they win outright, if no one receives that amount a runoff is held three weeks later with the top two regardless of party. The most likely scenario is Espy and Hyde-Smith advancing. The chances of someone winning 50% + 1 appear slim, Espy seems assured to advance while Hyde-Smith is likely.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the poll showing Espy ahead of Hyde-Smith, it is a campaign internal. In order for the Democrats to pick up a Senate seat in the deep south they really need a completely off the wall candidate on the GOP side, not a generic conservative Republican which is what Hyde-Smith generally is. With that said if this winds up being Espy vs McDaniel I do think Espy would have a decent chance at winning

Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
No polling data along with 35% of the people polled being 65 or older means its not a legit poll...35% of the population of Indiana is NOT 65 or older lol.
Read the bottom of the poll. It says they weighted it based on expected turnout of voters. This means 65 and older might have received less weight and the other age ranges possibly more weight in the poll. Weighting is not the same as the percentages which responded. It's a calculation that's applied later in order to ensure the poll responses match the expected electorate turnout.

Weighting is not solely based on demographics of a state. It's also based on expected voter turnout demographics. Weighting is done when responses to polls don't match the expected voter turnout demographics. Lots of folks on C-D seem to get confused about poll weighting.

Pasted from bottom of last page of Trafalgar poll:

Survey results undergo a weighting process to ensure the sample is comparable to the geographic and demographic breakdown of expected Indiana 2018 general election participants. Final results are
based on these weights in order to address non-response bias.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM

639 posts, read 248,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Read the bottom of the poll. It says they weighted it based on expected turnout of voters. This means 65 and older got less weight and the other age ranges got more weight in the poll. Weighting is not the same as the percentages which responded. It's a calculation that's applied later.

BTW, poll turnout and weighting is not based on demographics of a state. It's based on expected voter turnout demographics.

Pasted from bottom of last page of Trafalgar poll:

Survey results undergo a weighting process to ensure the sample is comparable to the geographic and demographic breakdown of expected Indiana 2018 general election participants. Final results are
based on these weights in order to address non-response bias.
Heck of a way to do polls...well we THINK this many people will show up....good lord..this is worse than the oversampling democrats over republicans...

Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I really cannot imagine a scenario where the Democrat holds Indiana. He was elected six years ago because he drew an idiot opponent who could not figure out was rape was. And that was a Presidential year which tends to flush out more Democrats.

If he wins the Democratic wave will have been massive. I just don't have a sense that is the case.
I do not think we should make too much out of a single poll, and while I believe Donnelly is up, I doubt it is by this much. I do think it is somewhat interesting that this poll is from a Republican firm, however.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Heck of a way to do polls...well we THINK this many people will show up....good lord..this is worse than the oversampling democrats over republicans...
That's how ALL political polls are done. Every single one of them. It's not just "think" this many will show up. It's scientific based on prior electorate turnout.

Seems you don't understand how polls work. Polls would be very bad if they gave younger people percentages based on state demographics because younger people vote in much lower percentages than older. Polls have to take this into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections