Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:03 AM

639 posts, read 248,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
https://www.cnet.com/news/new-bill-w...07821288204644

Of course this was proposed by all Democrats so likely won't leave the starting gate under McConnell's iron fist
Too bad he doesn't care about an election that can't be hacked...
McConnell should bring it to floor add an amendment to include stricter Voter Id laws and there ya go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Do we not remember the “search” for votes in hanging chads? Second, administration of voter registration and elections is the individual states responsibilities. Doubt the proposed law would be upheld if passed and signed into law.

Just another show horse foisted upon the unwitting voters.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Then. Read. My. Post.
I did. I replied. Address my reply.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Bev Harris, the voting expert, talks about ways fraud is committed and ways to avoid it. Bookmark her website.

She also has videos showing how electronic votes can be changed. She does offer solutions, but will anyone want to implement them?

BlackBoxVoting.org

Old 08-24-2018, 10:42 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
If I recall correctly, the only votes on electronic machines were flipped from Trump to Hillary. You can find youtube videos that voters themselves took in the voting booth. In those cases they requested a paper ballot.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Bev Harris, the voting expert, talks about ways fraud is committed and ways to avoid it. Bookmark her website.

She also has videos showing how electronic votes can be changed. She does offer solutions, but will anyone want to implement them?

BlackBoxVoting.org
There is a lot of stuff on there so if you haven't come across it yet that would be understandable but is there any explanation on how the paper record on an electronic voting machine could get changed?

Old 08-24-2018, 12:07 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
yes---I saw that episode of "The Good Wife, too...

But paper ballots can't be hacked by the Ethernet efforts of people who are not within the physical legal control of the US government--like the 15 Russians FSB hackers Mueller has charged and is trying in absentia because they are Russians and won't be coming to the US for trial and can't be extradited despite Putin's great respect for Trump...

If you are going to steal ballots, you have to physically be present to do it
And ballots because they are an unwieldy, time consuming method of voting also leave more of a trail to analyze and audit...

To go "backward" is not a "stupid" idea if it guarantees a more safe election...

Maybe that is what you object to--that it would work....
The ballots can't be hacked now! Jesus people, stick to things you actually know what you are talking about. No Russians hacked any ballots.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
One of the more colorful (and to most people unlikely) aspects of the 2016 election is that because voting machines always have to be updated prior to the actual election--and that often happens on-site with some type of jump drive that is used on each of the individual machines--
That the company maintains those machines was hacked and a virus algorhythim was inserted in that software

<cut for space>
I get your concerns. As someone that works in the software field where a chief concern is networking hardening - it is about testing. You don't do your testing while in "production." Meaning, the "test" isn't when the actual voters are voting on election day. Back in 2016, they tested out voting machines in September by changing the names of the candidates to Disney characters. Then they set up the machines in local schools and let kids vote for their favorite candidate...uh... character. Supposedly, the underlying code still would have candidate names (Trump/Clinton/Johnson/etc) but it was only the display on the screen that mapped Trump to Donald Duck and Clinton to Minnie Mouse and Johnson to Goofy(!).

I guess my point is, if the machines are not on wifi, and the votes are pulled off not on wifi and the "jump drive" to update the voting machines is handled by a responsible company (that's the weakness), we should be good.

The problem is, will the taxpayer want to pay for a company to put forth their best effort to get ensure these machines aren't compromised? How much would you pay?

Old 08-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I get your concerns. As someone that works in the software field where a chief concern is networking hardening - it is about testing. You don't do your testing while in "production." Meaning, the "test" isn't when the actual voters are voting on election day. Back in 2016, they tested out voting machines in September by changing the names of the candidates to Disney characters. Then they set up the machines in local schools and let kids vote for their favorite candidate...uh... character. Supposedly, the underlying code still would have candidate names (Trump/Clinton/Johnson/etc) but it was only the display on the screen that mapped Trump to Donald Duck and Clinton to Minnie Mouse and Johnson to Goofy(!).

I guess my point is, if the machines are not on wifi, and the votes are pulled off not on wifi and the "jump drive" to update the voting machines is handled by a responsible company (that's the weakness), we should be good.

The problem is, will the taxpayer want to pay for a company to put forth their best effort to get ensure these machines aren't compromised? How much would you pay?
How much do you have to pay people OT to hand count paper ballots? My wife being city clerk hated elections as she had to be one of those counting paper ballots and then take them to the county court house.

There are far more opportunities here for someone not trustworthy to muck up the system.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Where's the voter ID?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections