Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM

374 posts, read 231,351 times

Advertisements

I have read many threads to posts, directed at Obama supporters and referencing them as kool-aid drinkersNow, the FIRST thing that came to my mind is RACIST branding. So, I didn't want to seem like I was overreacting, I called my black friend and asked him to read the post and I just waited for his response. He said those ******** racists. So, ok, I'm not the only one. Kool-Aid was a very popular beverage in the black community back in the days. Since then, drinking Kool-Aid has been stereo typed as a black drink. I even saw a HBO comedy special 2 nights ago (Jim Norton), and he mentions Kool-Aid in a black racial joke.Then I see all these Hillary/McCain supporters calling Obama supporters Kool-Aid Drinkers. Obama is black, so then comes the association of Kool-Aid. Hillary supporters are just as supportive of their canidate, if not more in some cases. How come they aren't Kool-Aid drinkers. And the mass killings in Guyana doesn't cut it. It's NOT the first thing you assoicate Kool Aid with. What's the deal with this term Kool-Aid drinkers, that is said over and over and over on these threads and posts?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
I have read many threads to posts, directed at Obama supporters and referencing them as "Kool Aid" drinkers.Now, the FIRST thing that came to my mind is RACIST branding. So, I didn't want to seem like I was overreacting, I called my black friend and asked him to read the post and I just waited for his response. He said "those ******** racists!".So, ok, I'm not the only one. Kool-Aid was a very popular beverage in the black community back in the days. Since then, drinking Kool-Aid has been stereo typed as a "black" drink. I even saw a HBO comedy special 2 nights ago (Jim Norton), and he mentions Kool-Aid in a black racial joke.Then I see all these Hillary/McCain supporters calling Obama supporters "Kool-Aid" Drinkers. Obama is black, so then comes the association of Kool-Aid. Hillary supporters are just as supportive of their canidate, if not more in some cases. How come they are not "Kool-Aid" drinkers.And the mass killings in Guyana doesn't cut it. It's NOT the first thing you assoicate "Kool Aid" with. What's the deal with this term "Kool-Aid drinkers", that is said over and over and over on these threads and posts?
Kool Aid refences Fox news and particularly Oreilly.. Its a political statement, not racial to the best of my knowledge.. I could be wrong here because I tend to not follow the latest slang.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Yeah, it's funny that they call us Kool-Aid drinkers when Hillary is the biggest liar in the race. She has many documented and "rumored" lies in her "30 years of public service." If anyone's drinking Kool-Aid, it's her supporters for ignoring the fact that she is not only a liar but essentially unelectible when you consider that almost every Republican plus plenty of Democrats would vote for George W. Bush any day over Hillary Clinton.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Kool aid has been used by both sides for years. You friend sees racist behind every bush IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Kool Aid refences Fox news and particularly Oreilly.. Its a political statement, not racial to the best of my knowledge.. I could be wrong here because I tend to not follow the latest slang.
Actually is nothing new. It's an indirect racial statement. You can say it without ever mentioning "black" anything, but it's understood.

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah, I agree that it isn't racial. It's just a stupid phrase since it could just as easily apply to the other candidates who have their own skeletons.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Kool aid has been used by both sides for years. You friend sees racist behind every bush IMO.
You're missing the point. Why are Obama supporters labeled as Kool Aid drinkers. Is it just coincidence that Kool-Aid is part of many racial jokes?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,544 times
Obama supporters (some not all) are almost cultish.

Google cults and kool-aid see what you get.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Yeah, I agree that it isn't racial. It's just a stupid phrase since it could just as easily apply to the other candidates who have their own skeletons.
OK...Why Obama? Why not Clinton? Why not McCain? Are whites trying to talk in code when it comes to Obama and their supporters?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
You're missing the point. Why are Obama supporters labeled as Kool Aid drinkers. Is it just coincidence that Kool-Aid is part of many racial jokes?
You don't cease to amaze me. Look up Jim Jones if you want to know where the Kool Aid reference comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections