Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

How do you determine when something is actually voter suppression?

With the recent fall election I saw many people give examples of what they said was voter suppression. But I had to question some. Like with the Georgia governor election there was a situation at a voting place where they didn't have enough power cords for the voting machines. Some people on twitter were saying this was because of voter suppression. How do they know this? Maybe there was some other reason for there not being enough power cords there. Anyway I think some of these examples of voter suppression may come down to people's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Some efforts at voter suppression, like gerrymandering, are obvious. Others may be discovered through a variety of sources such as the census, utilities records, voter lists, county clerk's records, and other election records.

If a county is growing in population, the number of voters should be growing too. If the county is losing population, that too can have an effect on turnout.

There are lots of ways to discover if suppression is taking place. Some are much harder to prove than others.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,869 times
Suppression?

Last I heard is all you need is US citizenship, and be at least 18 years old to vote.

So where is the suppression?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:29 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I'm more concerned with illegals and dead people voting. Fortunately many states, even CA, has been clearing out their voter rolls of inactive voters. I think if you miss three Federal elections you are inactive. You can register again, of course, if that's the case.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times
The term "voter suppression" is really a misnomer. If by "voter suppression" we mean preventing voting by those who are not qualified (e.g. dead or non-citizens), then voter suppression is a plus. If we mean preventing those who are legally qualified to vote, then it's a negative.

Just saying "voter suppression" conflates two entirely different programs, and thus is very poor terminology.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 PM

255 posts, read 69,489 times
Liberals by and large are miserable, and their whining about voter suppression are just asinine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections