Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Then they would be competing with poor Americans in this competitive work strata and thecwages would be lowered for all those jobs. Principal of economics: more people after the same low age jobs will lower the wages due to competition. And, why do you say they won’t still be working for peanuts?
They work for as little as they do as illegals because they have no recourse. Their employers can just report them to immigration if they dare complain, so with illegals, the employer has all the leverage and they have none.

And to your first point, that could only happen if minimum wage was lowered or eliminated, and I don't see that happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBloom View Post
Wait. Are you actually blaming the divorce rate on the civil rights movement?!
Or have i misunderstood your post?
The person whom I was replying to actually did while I was clarifying that the issue was more complex and very much a mix of issues both on a state and federal level...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And part of that is due to the southern Democrats becoming Republicans because Democrats dared to let blacks be fully treated as equals under the law.
And since then black born out of wedlock rates havè gone to hell. Cudos Democrat Plantation Party. They replaced the black family man/husband with a welfare check.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Please explain to us since I'm not seeing it... I'm not trying to be funny or a smart @zz, but I would like to facts from the other side.

That goes for anybody, I'm truly open to hear what you have to say because I'm not seeing or feeling it and other members in my family are doing better as well.

Thanks.
Part of it is what JuneBloom hit on but I meant economically and I covered it on post #62 largely just on the government shutdowns. I also mentioned both with taxes and also trade wars too. Economically he could screw us for years.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM

1,018 posts, read 511,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Only time will tell, but winning the electoral college while losing has been an anomaly thus far in American History. It’s only happened 5 times in 58 POTUS elections. It will be interesting to see how long the GOP can depend on winning the EC if they consistently lose the pop vote. The D’s have won the popular vote in every POTUS election but one since 1992. It’s the first time in history that one party has won the national popular vote that consistently. People move from state to state and take their politics with them. It will be interesting to see how Trump does as an incumbent Republican President. The last time the R’s won the popular vote was Dubya’s re-election in 2004.

You can look at the popular vote as irrelevant, but it would be unprecedented if the R’s manage to consistently win the electoral college while losing the popular vote with regularity.

Read The 12th Amendment and get back to us.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And part of that is due to the southern Democrats becoming Republicans because Democrats dared to let blacks be fully treated as equals under the law.
The Democrats have lost White Voters in every region but the west coast, not just the white voters in the south are what cause The Republicans to win The White Vote in every election.

Are you implying that because the majority of Whites vote Republican that they are racist? So then are the majority of Blacks racist cause they vote majority Democrat?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
The leftists via their rag the NYT are now saying that Mary Poppins is a racist movie.

Yup. They've got nothing for the Middle Class.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
The Democrats have lost White Voters in every region but the west coast, not just the white voters in the south are what cause The Republicans to win The White Vote in every election.

Are you implying that because the majority of Whites vote Republican that they are racist? So then are the majority of Blacks racist cause they vote majority Democrat?
No you are putting words in my mouth. I never said racism was a part of it, I said how they went for the former Southern Democrats who became Republicans after the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965 by Northern Democrats. I didn't say the voters were racist, just they disagreed with equal protection under the law.

No of course this don't include the white vote in New York and New Jersey. My father typically voted Republican in New York, mainly due to not liking liberal policy, but now he doesn't agree with the more TEA Party Movement policies of the Republican party also.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Read The 12th Amendment and get back to us.
Read and comprehend what I said and get back to me.

1. We have never had a party dominate the national popular vote like the D’s have since 1992.

2. We have only had a President elected while losing the national pop vote 5 times in 230+ years or 4 times if you ignore Henry Clay pushing John Quincy Adams way back in 1824.

Can a party now depend on consistently winning the electoral college while consistently losing the national popular vote?

Perhaps, but it would be unprecedented in American History. If history is any indicator, it’s more likely that either the Republicans regain the popular vote or the Democrats take control of the electoral college.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-04-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 04:18 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:

I’m pretty sure you’re incorrect.

Republicans have the edge in the Midwest and the South, but Democrats have the edge in the Northeast as well as the West.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I’m pretty sure you’re incorrect.

Republicans have the edge in the Midwest and the South, but Democrats have the edge in the Northeast as well as the West.
Correct, they do, but those 2 regions alone don't add up to 270 electoral votes. The republicans also have an edge in The Rocky Mountain States too.

Here's how the map looks if only whites voted: Even New York goes red with White Voters!

Click image for larger version

Name:	trump.png
Views:	46
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	207609
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections