Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That is because Democrats go to churches that are not into snake handling. And maybe you don't know any rural southern baptist types who cling to their guns and Bibles and are bitter. We tend to go to churches like Rev Wright and Father Pfleger who really know the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and what it means to practice his teachings.
Yes, I can see you've learned your lessons well. Love thy brother and those that don't agree with you, or are different from you. Tolerance - you display that so well when it comes to the other side politically. You exhibit all the lovely characteristics of a true left-winger. [end sarcasm]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Well, you're wrong once again, since you're addressing your post to a Southern Baptist. I'm not bitter; yes, I have a few Bibles; my husband has some guns (I don't do guns); and we definitely know the true gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ and practice his teachings to the extent possible in our frail human state.

We do NOT go to churches who preach hate and lies about our nation (the US created HIV, caused 9/11, yada yada yada) and our pastor certainly doesn't scream God Da*n America!
"lies about our nation"..."yada yada yada"

You can't know whether or not something is a lie by ignoring it or because you don't like it. If you're practicing "His" teachings why not include listening first before dismissing something? It bothers me when people immediately reject stuff they don't want to hear. Of course, I realize this is a common human response--we've all been guilty of it at some point. The truth IS difficult to swallow.

So, you can place me square on the reverend's side because this ignorance (choosing to ignore) makes me want to scream the same things from behind a pulpit. Either wake up, smell the coffee, and accept the problems head on or continue to live in a dream world where He will come to the rescue.

Ignorance is Anti-American because with it nothing gets done.
Anger is patriotic because its passion results in action.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

You can't know whether or not something is a lie by ignoring it or because you don't like it. If you're practicing "His" teachings why not include listening first before dismissing something? It bothers me when people immediately reject stuff they don't want to hear. Of course, I realize this is a common human response--we've all been guilty of it at some point. The truth IS difficult to swallow.

So, you can place me square on the reverend's side because this ignorance (choosing to ignore) makes me want to scream the same things from behind a pulpit. Either wake up, smell the coffee, and accept the problems head on or continue to live in a dream world where He will come to the rescue.

Take what idiot wright said and then tell me how it was truth full?

he hates the rich white people yet he is getting a 10,000 sq ft. house in a almost all white neighborhood. Yea all the poor blacks of what a shame they could have used the 10 million dollar loan his church took out to build his house and pay the taxes.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Take what idiot wright said and then tell me how it was truth full?

he hates the rich white people yet he is getting a 10,000 sq ft. house in a almost all white neighborhood. Yea all the poor blacks of what a shame they could have used the 10 million dollar loan his church took out to build his house and pay the taxes.
At no point did I say I agreed with the man (and I'm not going to base my entire assessment of him on a few YouTube videos and I can honestly say I haven't paid much attention to him), but I applaud his audacity. It sure beats apathy and ignorance which seems far more palatable to many. Controversy incites action and eventually resolution. Apathy, turning a deaf ear, outright cowardly rejection, all these things accomplish nothing.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Our preachers down here in the south don't cuss America nor do the preach about presidential flings. Oh and they blame the terrorist for 9/11 not us. Idk about you but iv been going to church a lot longer than working and well come to think of it went hunting WAy before being unemployed.
Isn't John Hagee a good ole southern preacher? He blamed the "sins of America" for 9-11 as did Falwell and Robertson (who later apologized). They also say stupid things like the Catholic church is a tool of Satan and dumb crap like that. Yet nobody blames the Republicans for what these guys say in the pulpit and nobody questions thier patriotism.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
People who know this man Father Phleger will tell you that he is a pretty tough cookie. He has taken on lots of people from the church to merchants selling gang hats. Some dumb new reporter for Faux News would not stand a chance in hell against him. If that reporter had any sense, he would have talked to the reporters at Fox 32 there who would have told him "son that is way over your experience and ability".

Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is because Democrats go to churches that are not into snake handling. And maybe you don't know any rural southern baptist types who cling to their guns and Bibles and are bitter. We tend to go to churches like Rev Wright and Father Pfleger who really know the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and what it means to practice his teachings.
You must be from San Francisco with these negative attitudes.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 AM

440 posts, read 329,440 times
Quote:
First, Jerry Falwell died a couple of years ago. I did not and do not agree with several of his opinions and he didn't speak for the entire Southern Baptist Convention or its members, each church being independent. We do have a set of beliefs that align with each other, but not in every little detail.

Still, he never to my knowledge, got up in front of his congregation, worked himself into a lather, and screamed any of those beliefs. And I'm quite sure he never took God's name in vain the way Wright did.
Trinity is a part of the UCC. All of the churche that are members of the UCC act and teach as independent entities but are united under the same umbrella. I grew up and attended fire and brimstone black baptist churches my entire life. A couple of years ago I moved and now am the only black person/member in my all white church. The basic message is the same but the delivery is unequivocably tame in comparison to any black church I have ever attended. The passion in his message does not equal using the lord's name in vain simply because he said the opposite of "God Bless America". People of color have experiences and feelings about America that may differ from those of white Americans because we have a totally different experiences (many of them negative and racially motivated) in terms of how we have been treated throughout it's history.

For the record, all of the churches under the the UCC umbrella saw the attack on Rev. Wright as an attack against the United Churches of Christ. The UCC (which consists of a multitude of races and ethncities) stands firmly behind the Rev. Wright and we were all encouraged to contribute to the fund which ran the ad in the NY Times.

Trinity Church’s UCC Runs Full-Page Ad in New York Times « Suddenly Christian (http://johnshoreland.com/2008/04/03/trinity-churchs-ucc-runs-full-page-ad-in-new-york-times/ - broken link)

Quote:
Our unity is not dependent upon uniform agreement, but in our shared allegiance to Jesus Christ. Ours is a risk-taking church, because ours is a risk-taking God.
God is still speaking.

Last edited by Preaching2thechoir; 04-19-2008 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM

479 posts, read 1,456,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

I'm not ignoring his speech on HIV being invented by our government as a means of genocide against blacks or other things said by this supposed man of God. But it sure doesn't mean I have to agree with him.

[LEFT]In a fiery sermon in April 2003, Wright said: “The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes three-strike laws and wants them to sing God Bless America.
“No! No No!
“God damn America … for killing innocent people."

So you just go right ahead and scream when you can find a pulpit...since everybody is ignorant who doesn't agree with you. Funny how that "tolerance" stuff only goes one way.[/LEFT]

Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Most people know better than to mess with Michael Pfleger, that reporter got his rear handed to him on a plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections