Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
There are more white people on welfare than any other race. (Just an fyi.)

A lot of those "self reliant Christian strong moral" uneducated whites are getting government assistance and honestly fit the profile more of "lazy trailer trash".

But the OP was the one who decided uneducated people must come from the inner city and must support Obama.

Blatant racism.
There are substantially more white people in the nation than any other race as well.

Im glad you recognize that calling people "lazy trailer trash" is "blatant racism" as well. Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Our forefathers understood that trying to dictate a universal language was not an appropriate job for the Federal Government, as that infringes on individual liberties.

They were very wise.

Nearly all immigrants learn English by the second generation and assimilate. People in most of the world speak or understand more than one language. The United States is just a little behind the 8-ball in that regard.

With globalization it is increasingly necessary to learn other languages to stay competitive. I am making sure my kids learn Spanish early.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I really don't care if people who come here learn to speak english, however, I think we should promote it. I don't think instructions should be given in any other language. I think english should be a requirement for certain jobs, especially customer service. I can't believe that we use tax payer dollar to give instructions in spanish. that is horrible. what if there is an immigrant who only speaks tagalog? how is it fair to that person. seems like we cater to one and not the other and that isn't fair. I say we cater to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Its not isolative or white supremacy when you ask someone to speak the language of the land or go home. I wouldnt move to France and expect everyone around me to learn English to accomodate my needs just because I am too lazy to learn French. I would get my butt in the classes and learn the language if I were to move anywhere that didnt speak english.

Asking anyone to learn English who moves here is not too much to ask. Its not religious, its not racist, its asking people to learn the language of the land for the sake of being a united country.

And I am sick of people talking crap about Newport Beach as if we are a bunch of white racists living in holes because its not true. Im sure you would think differently if you actually knew my profession.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
There are substantially more white people in the nation than any other race as well.

Im glad you recognize that calling people "lazy trailer trash" is "blatant racism" as well. Good for you.
Why? Only whites live in trailers?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM

717 posts, read 773,846 times
Quote:
Our forefathers understood that trying to dictate a universal language was not an appropriate job for the Federal Government, as that infringes on individual liberties.

They were very wise.

Nearly all immigrants learn English by the second generation and assimilate. People in most of the world speak or understand more than one language. The United States is just a little behind the 8-ball in that regard.

With globalization it is increasingly necessary to learn other languages to stay competitive. I am making sure my kids learn Spanish early.
well said. When I was in Italy I was astounded how well people knew English. I thought the same thing - WE are behind the curve.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:

Percentage wise - they are basically the same, just as many whites as blacks on welfare

Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Obama is just for states' rights here. Are you against states' rights, Sunshine?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Percentage wise - they are basically the same, just as many whites as blacks on welfare
Hmm. So I guess they don't all live in the inner city huh?

Shocking!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:

They were very wise.

It is good to learn other languages BUT the country should be united around one language, and anyone who says a country can remain strong when everyone speaks different languages but nobody speaks the same is just silly.

Im glad your kids are learning Spanish. They will probably need it if people like you keep at it.

But for now, I am promoting the literacy of English and anyone who doesnt like the english language, or the promotion of learning it, needs to just try, just for a day to live in an area where people refuse to speak english.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Good. You keep promoting. Knock yourself out. So long as you relaize it is not the place of Federal Government to dictate such things in a free country.

Don't bother to teach your kids another language either. That way mine will be more competitive when they grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections