Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Thats the poverty rate, not the rate of people on assistance:

With regard to AFDC the figures are:

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3
This is complete crap without a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? Do you work Corporate?

I've worked Corporate my whole life, part of it in HR, and people are falling over each other to hire anyone bilingual. Business is international! It's a huge asset.
Well, the people we are talking about are the immigrants to America.

The illegal alien/recent immigrant down the street is not someone I am likely to do a big business deals with.

International situations are different, and I keep saying that learning other languages is great. How many times do I have to say it! I am talking about people who move here and know no english.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
This is complete crap without a link.
People on welfare are usually black, teenage mothers who stay on ten years at a time

Cited, at the bottom

Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Well, the people we are talking about are the immigrants to America.

The illegal alien/recent immigrant down the street is not someone I am likely to do a big business deals with.

International situations are different, and I keep saying that learning other languages is great. How many times do I have to say it! I am talking about people who move here and know no english.
your direct quote

Originally Posted by ocexpo
In high earning/office professions, being biligual is not really that important. Now, taco bell or the local coffee store, maybe.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, heres the problem with that.

1. The stats are showing the people as a whole (all the people who are on welfare, and their racial breakdown). Am I wrong?

2. There are 6x more white people in the country than black people. So, if you figure that those applying for welfare are equally white and black (those on welfare are 39% white, 39% black), BUT there are six times more white people, then that means that black people apply for welfare at a rate 6x higher than white people.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Ok, heres the problem with that.

1. The stats are showing the people as a whole (all the people who are on welfare, and their racial breakdown). Am I wrong?

2. There are 6x more white people in the country than black people. So, if you figure that those applying for welfare are equally white and black (those on welfare are 39% white, 39% black), BUT there are six times more white people, then that means that black people apply for welfare at a rate 6x higher than white people.
My bad. This is true above.

Interesting Hispanics were such a low percentage.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM

No, your wrong.

If 39% of the people on welfare are white and 39% of people on welfare are black, then black people apply at a higher rate than whites do by 6 times.

That 39% of blacks is drawing from only 12% of our nations population.

The 39% of whites is drawing from 70% of our population.

And the hispanic numbers are so low because the US hispanic population really is not that high, so proportionally there arent that many hispanics applying. They are applying at about the nations average. 14% of the nation is hispanic, so its about even that 15% would be hispanic in the welfare program.

And your stats are not saying "what percentages of whites in the country are on welfare" it saying "of those in the welfare program, what is their racial breakdown"

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
There are about 45 million Hispanics, which is what about 15% of the general population.

My point being if you take a gander up in Immigration forum Land you would think all Hispanics are living off of welfare.

Seems like this is not in fact the case.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
There are about 45 million Hispanics, which is what about 15% of the general population.
Whatever, your still wrong with your evaluation.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
I will ask my hubby that tonight when he gets home, he doesnt even have a college degree and makes tons more money then most liberals with a degree. Heck, he sets his price for what he does and gets it. Funny he trains and teaches others, is well sought after by large groups and does it with poor grammmmmmeeeer skills.

Well, moonshining never did require much in the way of language skills

Guess that degree didnt help some liberals, I wonder...are stupid people trained or is that an obtained skill?

Education is to promote critical thinking skills. Something that I know would be frightening to you.

Yes, they are bothered by the facts about Obama. Most of them who attack me directly are just smacking their lips waiting for the Obama social freebies to grow so they can sit around and eat, chat and hold hands.

This just doesn't even make sense. You don't need a college degree to write literate sentences. You do need the ability to think coherently.

When Obama learns to stop lying I will learn better grammar. How about that. Guess I am not learning am I. His nose grows every day.

One would think that, as a parent raising children, learning better grammar would be important to you so that you could raise children who can communicate in a manner that doesn't make them appear foolish.
h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections