Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/issues2/articles/americans_give_low_marks_to_u_s_health_care_but_69 _rate_their_health_insurance_good_or_excellent - broken link)

Quote:
In addition, 65% of Americans say they want to keep their existing health insurance as opposed to 15% who are willing to switch to some form of government health insurance.
How will Obama reconcile this attitude with his massive government health care program?

Is this another case of the media sensationalizing and hyping an issue to fit their agenda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Absolutely. I know several honest, hardworking people who have been driven to actual bankruptcy by the system as it stands now, including a member of my own family (whose credit has been destroyed trying to fight what was thought to be cancer, after having the nerve of contracting said illness while having been laid-off). It is a joke. I don't trust my insurance for a second, I'm sure if I ever had the gall to catch a serious illness, they'd try like hell to destroy me before the illness could so they could save a few bucks.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
That's great for them, if they like their coverage, then they can keep it. Obama's program is about providing insurance for those who do not have health insurance, and for providing guidelines for insurance companies so that they do not take your money for 20 years and then drop you because you get sick, or deny treatment because the procedure is not covered.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
I dont think it needs the reform that Obama is talking about.

It needs consumer driven pricing, and less government red tape to make regular and expected costs affordable to the every day person, so the insurance companies can focus on providing a health care package that covers the major and/or unexpected conditions that people have to deal with...after all , isnt THAT what insurance is for?

All our government involvement has gotten us so far in health care is to make it more costly, and more difficult to figure out....the reform we need is having less of both of those two things, NOT more government involvement.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
It's not Govt. intervention that brings health care costs up. It's the acceptance of the American people to have a Company led health care system. No competition from a UHC is driving up prices in health and drugs.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
yes, it is.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Absolutely. I know several honest, hardworking people who have been driven to actual bankruptcy by the system as it stands now, including a member of my own family (whose credit has been destroyed trying to fight what was thought to be cancer, after having the nerve of contracting said illness while having been laid-off). It is a joke. I don't trust my insurance for a second, I'm sure if I ever had the gall to catch a serious illness, they'd try like hell to destroy me before the illness could so they could save a few bucks.
Friends of mine are now contemplating bankruptcy due to a serious illness the husband came down w/ (late 20's, healthy). And he HAD insurance!

You've (OP) probably never been without health insurance, I'm assuming. I didn't have it when I was younger and temping for a year. I broke my finger and taped it up instead of going to the doctor, because I didn't want to get hit with the giant bill and end up with ruined credit. It's still crooked.

Last edited by newtoli; 07-07-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: clarified OP

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It's not Govt. intervention that brings health care costs up. It's the acceptance of the American people to have a Company led health care system. No competition from a UHC is driving up prices in health and drugs.
Who do you propose "leads" health care then?

Private industry is much more competitive and price sensitive than any government run program. Public entities are more careful and smarter with the money given to them, while government tends to try and fund what the public companies have determined are not good business investments.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
What will the premiums be in comparison to the private market? Will it be run by private insurance companies or Medicare? Will Obama override the 50 states' individual insurance departments and make uniform rules across the board? What about those who have refused to buy insurance in the past? Will they be able to still refuse? What will the penalties be? How will he save the average family $2500 per year in medical expenses as his site claims? Where is the breakdown on these savings?

Didn't see any answers to any of thse questions on Obama's website. Just saw talking points, but no real figures anywhere. I purchase my own insurance and would love to see it become more affordable, but much more concrete information is needed.
How can you make a decision about a plan when there is no "plan" there?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
What will the premiums be in comparison to the private market? Will it be run by private insurance companies or Medicare? Will Obama override the 50 states' individual insurance departments and make uniform rules across the board? What about those who have refused to buy insurance in the past? Will they be able to still refuse? What will the penalties be? How will he save the average family $2500 per year in medical expenses as his site claims? Where is the breakdown on these savings?

Didn't see any answers to any of thse questions on Obama's website. Just saw talking points, but no real figures anywhere. I purchase my own insurance and would love to see it become more affordable, but much more concrete information is needed.
How can you make a decision about a plan when there is no "plan" there?
Id also like to see an answer to this:

He proposes the uninsured will have access to the same health care plan that members of congress have.

Now from an underwriting perspective, I am sure that there is a HUGE difference between the cost to insure a member of congress who makes 6 figures, and sits at a desk all day as compared to a guy who is out there working in a coal mine, or other similarly dangerous job.

So when you add in these high risk (ie. high cost) participants to the program, who is going to make up for what the increased premiums should be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections