Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The McCain Shift, will the party follow him to the center
Yes, they will abandon neocons & other extreme right wingers 1 14.29%
No, McCain is a one time reaction to Bush & Cheney 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 AM

509 posts, read 691,739 times

Advertisements

Would the party follow The McCain Shift to the center?

A McCain win would dramatically prove to republicans they do not need the far right or neocons & others.

Would the party rally around McCain and move to the center or is McCain a one time response to BUsh & Cheney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:41 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
It doesn't look like any one group is following him now. His candidacy follows the line of "well here's what we've got to go with". Where's the enthusiasm? He has been effectively characterized as the third term of the current President. He let this happen. Senator's Obama and Clinton made sure they used all available airtime (and they had plenty) to typecast him as President Bush's third term. The characterization is now so inescapable that he must defend against Senator Obama and the President's popularity. Whether mentioned or not, fair or not, it has been effectively placed on his shoulders. His "maverick status" has been wiped out by these two factors his inability to solidify the conservative base, and his consequential move towards the center. The pulls may just be too great for him to overcome.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
I don't think McCain's alleged "move to the center" is a response to Bush/Cheney/Rove. My response to Bush/Cheney/Rove are trials, jail terms and maybe capital punishment if so adjudicated.

The great strength in our nation has always been the center. Probably 2/3 of the electorate is within a short distance to either side of center, if we can ever define a point on a straight line where the exact center really lies.

Complicating the OP's scenario is that there are many distinct factions within the GOP. In his wonderfully written book, The New American Story, former 3-times U.S. Senator Bill Bradley lays out 12 distinct factions within the GOP. Some of these factions would follow JM to the center, not all.

IMO, both candidates need to focus on the center and avoid the extremes on each end. In the end it will come down to which candidate has a better plan for moving forward, and right now there is no contest there. McCain wants four more years of the bumbling we've seen. Obama wants to fix what's been wrong for so long.

Landslide Obama.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Many Republicans will vote for him if he is the nominee. Plain and simple. They refuse to vote Democrat and think voting third party is a wasted vote. He's not the perfect candidate for hardly any Republican, but given the environment today, he's a pretty good one to go up against Obama. If the election were to be a landslide, I think the polls would already indicate that. Unless either candidate makes some serious blunders between now and November, it's going to come down to one or two states again with half the country pissed off for 4 more years. That's not change that either candidate can overcome.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,400 times
It's going to be hard. The modern GOP is very, very far right of center over the last decade and pulling it back toward the center is going to be a tough task for McCain. What's funny is that conservatives decry how liberal the Democrats are, when compared to "real" liberal parties in other countries, they'd still probably be considered conservative! Or at least centrist.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM

509 posts, read 691,739 times
I'm not sure but sometimes I think our country may become more liberal if McCain won instead of Obama.
If Obama wins there is a clearly defined line if McCain wins that line becomes blurred. I think most people can't/won't see that line and vote by party affiliation.
If McCain wins I think he would bring the Republicans closer to center, I also think Democrats would find McCain easier to deal than Bush was. Therefore a government that may actually get things done. A positive that would pave the way for future Republicans.

just something I was thinking

Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
It's going to be hard. The modern GOP is very, very far right of center over the last decade and pulling it back toward the center is going to be a tough task for McCain. What's funny is that conservatives decry how liberal the Democrats are, when compared to "real" liberal parties in other countries, they'd still probably be considered conservative! Or at least centrist.
Hillary would be a comfortable moderate. Even Obama would be considered a moderate compared to almost any European country. Ahmadinenajad in Iran is a conservative - meaning he wants no change and wants the power structure to remain intact, the real definition of Conservatism used in the rest of the world.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
Would the party follow The McCain Shift to the center?

A McCain win would dramatically prove to republicans they do not need the far right or neocons & others.

Would the party rally around McCain and move to the center or is McCain a one time response to BUsh & Cheney?
I wonder if the far left will follow Obama to the center. It would be a very bumpy ride and both might not survive the trip.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I wonder if the far left will follow Obama to the center. It would be a very bumpy ride and both might not survive the trip.
That'll be a problem as well, definitely.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
That'll be a problem as well, definitely.
The reality is that most people are closer to the center than the people they vote for and they usually govern that way. Obama could be an exception but I doubt it. He will disappoint his hard left wing of the party because he has to to get re-elected or at least attempt to. It is politics 101 and they all follow the same game plan. The difference is only in the label and until a viable third party appears on the scene we will continue to have more of the same election after election. Sad but reality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections