Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,590,020 times

Advertisements

On NBC's "Meet the Press", Obama wants a VP "somebody who can help me govern,” Obama said. "I want somebody who I’m compatible with, who I can work with, who has a shared vision, who certainly complements me, in the sense that they provide a knowledge base or an area of expertise that can be useful. Because we’re going to have a lot of problems and a lot of work to do."

"I’m not interested in a vice president who I just send off to go to funerals,” he continued. "I want somebody who’s going to be able to roll up their sleeves and really do some work."

Obama not basing VP pick on geography - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080727/pl_politico/12083 - broken link)

I think the key word here is "govern", and some of these senators like Hillary and Edwards, and perhaps Joe Biden, are off the list. Who do you think Obama is leaning towards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:58 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,089,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
On NBC's "Meet the Press", Obama wants a VP "somebody who can help me govern,” Obama said. "I want somebody who I’m compatible with, who I can work with, who has a shared vision, who certainly complements me, in the sense that they provide a knowledge base or an area of expertise that can be useful. Because we’re going to have a lot of problems and a lot of work to do."

"I’m not interested in a vice president who I just send off to go to funerals,” he continued. "I want somebody who’s going to be able to roll up their sleeves and really do some work."

Obama not basing VP pick on geography - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080727/pl_politico/12083 - broken link)

I think the key word here is "govern", and some of these senators like Hillary and Edwards, and perhaps Joe Biden, are off the list. Who do you think Obama is leaning towards?

This is from the link you posted and other readers can verify. How does this translate into Hillary being off the list when he says in the very article you link:
Obama made complimentary remarks about both Clintons, even breaking his self-imposed rule of not talking about his “short list” for vice president.

“Hillary Clinton would be on anybody’s short list,” he said. “She is one of the most effective, intelligent, courageous leaders that we have in the Democratic Party. … I would love to have Bill Clinton campaigning for me.”

Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,590,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This is from the link you posted and other readers can verify. How does this translate into Hillary being off the list when he says in the very article you link:
Obama made complimentary remarks about both Clintons, even breaking his self-imposed rule of not talking about his “short list” for vice president.

“Hillary Clinton would be on anybody’s short list,” he said. “She is one of the most effective, intelligent, courageous leaders that we have in the Democratic Party. … I would love to have Bill Clinton campaigning for me.”

Obama HAS to suck up to Hillary as much as possible, in order to placate her supporters. It gives the illusion that he is considering her. It would be thouroughly unrealistic and quite foolish for Obama to rule her out in public interviews, since that will further enrage Hillary Democrats.

But to be honest, Obama won't choose her and I doubt she is even being vetted. She violates 2 golden rules about vice presidential candidates: 1. A VP must not upstage the top of the ticket and 2. "Do No Harm".

That means a VP with minimal amount of baggage, which Hillary brings a mountainful.

So, Tuborg, who do you WANT as Obama's VP, and who do you THINK will be Obama's VP?

Old 07-27-2008, 02:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Default What Is Wrong with This Goal?

“I’m going to want somebody with integrity. I’m going to want somebody with independence — who’s willing to tell me where he thinks, or she thinks, I’m wrong. And I’m going to want somebody who shares a vision of the country: where we need to go — that we’ve got to fundamentally change not only our policies, but how politics work, how business is done in Washington.”

"...who has a shared vision, who certainly complements me, in the sense that they provide a knowledge base or an area of expertise that can be useful. Because we’re going to have a lot of problems and a lot of work to do."

“I’m not interested in a vice president who I just send off to go to funerals,” he continued. “I want somebody who’s going to be able to roll up their sleeves and really do some work.”

Old 07-27-2008, 02:20 PM

I'll go with Chuck Hagel for the block.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Obama HAS to suck up to Hillary as much as possible, in order to placate her supporters. It gives the illusion that he is considering her. It would be thouroughly unrealistic and quite foolish for Obama to rule her out in public interviews, since that will further enrage Hillary Democrats.

But to be honest, Obama won't choose her and I doubt she is even being vetted. She violates 2 golden rules about vice presidential candidates: 1. A VP must not upstage the top of the ticket and 2. "Do No Harm".

That means a VP with minimal amount of baggage, which Hillary brings a mountainful.

So, Tuborg, who do you WANT as Obama's VP, and who do you THINK will be Obama's VP?

I want Chuck Hagel but since Team Obama is saying nothing and the little that he has said is posted in this thread I have little in the way of data to say where they are leaning other them what I have posted today and yesterday. I am the data driven sort as you may know or soon find out.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

As a true Obama supporter are you actually suggesting in public and to Clinton supporters that he is just pandering to them?
That sounds awfully covert McCainish to me!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I think he was very politely saying No. He said almost the exact same words somewhere else, two weeks or so ago.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think he was very politely saying No. He said almost the exact same words somewhere else, two weeks or so ago.
One of the downsides of Clinton was that bringing her on board would make it a dirty race. Well guess what it has become that already. What better hammer than Bill and now the pluses for Hillary outweigh the additional negatives since many are already in play.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 PM

262 posts, read 486,742 times
Quote:
Who do you think Obama is leaning towards?
I can't see it being anybody but Kathleen Sebelius. That whole "women won't accept Sebelius" bluff is even stupider than "_______ won't vote for Obama."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections