Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times

Advertisements

Dana Milbank, in the Washington Post, writes that Obama has become his party's "presumptuous nominee."

Hey, I gotta give her a few points for a colorful phrase--but I can't believe she's upset by the Secret Service, of all things.

The article says she's offended when she sees Obama "shuttling around Washington — shutting down traffic with his "presidential-style motorcade," clearing the halls of the Capitol building, and being hustled in through a side door by the Secret Service, "just as they do for the actual president" — as if he's already won the election."

Ummmm..... don't they do the same thing for McCain?

Seems to me the Secret Service are just trying to do their job. McCain's team had a librarian thrown out of his last town hall meeting--did anyone think that was arrogant?

And should the candidates be held responsible for actions taken by the Secret Service? The hustle him in through side doors because that's their professional opinion of the best way to protect a candidate--not as a show of arrogance.

96 more days to go... and it just keeps getting wierder the closer we get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
FYI... Dana Milbank is a GUY.

And speaking of DM, I saw him on the street outside my office yesterday gawking at the motorcade of the Pakistani Prime Minister coming out of the Willard.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM

540 posts, read 963,028 times
I read the article and thought the same thing about the secret service part of the article. He did, however, have some valid points such as his receiving a foreign dignitary and having his team already start planning their transition to the White House.

Dana Milbank - President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour - washingtonpost.com?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
FYI... Dana Milbank is a GUY.

And speaking of DM, I saw him on the street outside my office yesterday gawking at the motorcade of the Pakistani Prime Minister coming out of the Willard.
All-ll-ll-right! An eye witness! You're going to be a lot of fun Zentropa. Isn't it fun to work in DC? I used to live in NOVA and saw things like that from time to time.

So, back to the subject. Sounds like the motorcade was for the Prime Minister--why should Obama be held responsible for that? Just because he met with the guy?

And why wasn't McCain making an effort to meet with a visiting Prime Minister? Or does he only want to visit with people if he gets a free trip to a foreign country out of the deal?

Last edited by normie; 07-30-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: I accidentally called McCain Bush. Ooops.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM

I also can't understand why McCain isn't working on a transition plan, himself. Does he really think that's something that should wait until late November?

I remember when I first began to consider selling my company, retiring, and possibly moving to a new state. I had a number of transition plans sketched out for a year or so in advance--even though I didn't know for sure if, when, or to whom I would sell the business. To me, that's just a sign of good management skills.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
I read the article and thought the same thing about the secret service part of the article. He did, however, have some valid points such as his receiving a foreign dignitary and having his team already start planning their transition to the White House.

Dana Milbank - President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour - washingtonpost.com?
YES, wisely planning his transition to the WHITE HOUSE! This ain't exactly switching 1 bedroom apartments ....

ALL candidates get ready for the transition...it's what is done, it's a big deal...don't you WANT a president who PLANS in advance (unlike the current one).

Of course, it's would've been easier for McCain since his masters are already in the White House.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Yes, Normie, it can be exciting working here--except when held up in traffic by motorcades, which happens several times a week.

As for transition, I am a contractor for a govt agency and my company is already transitioning for a new administration, making forward plans for either contingency. Why shouldn't McCain and Obama staffers be doing the same?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM

And getting back to the Secret Service... I wish more people had gotten upset about McCain and his big mouth compromising Obama's security before the Iraq trip.

Days before the trip, McCain told a campaign fund-raising luncheon. "I believe that either today or tomorrow -- and I'm not privy to his schedule -- Sen. Obama will be landing in Iraq with some other senators."

Now granted, that is not the same as giving terrorists detailed information or a map. And it's also true that even though the schedule was being kept quiet, it was generally known that Obama was making a trip. I'll even go as far to say it was nice that McCain said he "wasn't privy."

but

man oh man... he shouldn't have said anything at all. Anyone who works in government knows this. Even the news anchors were better about keeping mum than McCain.

If Obama did it, the McCain camp would crucify him for being naive on security issues.

McCain Compromises Obama's Security

That old fart just has no judgement.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If Obama did it, the McCain camp would crucify him for being naive on security issues.
Or just go ahead and call him a terrorist.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
And getting back to the Secret Service... I wish more people had gotten upset about McCain and his big mouth compromising Obama's security before the Iraq trip.
Especially beings as how this is a career top-secret type military guy with the white hair necessary to lead our Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections