Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:45 PM

26,222 posts, read 49,072,443 times

Advertisements

This writer says it all for me: washingtonpost.com

Excerpts:

""...in practice, those [GOP] ideas have all failed to deliver on the promises the conservatives made, and in many instances, the dogma has actually created new problems. Particularly after Hurricane Katrina, when Americans saw how hapless FEMA was, the public has begun to realize that the right's hostility toward government has produced only ineffective government [not better or more efficient government].

One can see the results in recent headlines: a Justice Department where non-conservatives need not apply; tainted spinach, jalapeño peppers and pet food; dangerous imported toys; poorly enforced environmental laws and a warming planet; the regulatory failures that led to the subprime mortgage fiasco. Meanwhile, large tax cuts (as under Reagan) have weakened the country's fiscal health without significantly improving the lot of the vast majority of citizens. And the right's enthusiasm for Bush's brand of "benevolent hegemony" in foreign policy, which insists on the U.S. right to wage preventive war and dismisses the United Nations as a band of meddlesome bureaucrats, has weakened our security -- most notably through the unnecessary calamity in Iraq -- by diluting our military capabilities and diverting their focus from genuine threats from al-Qaeda.""

The article is good reading.

My biggest pet peeve is the GOP mantra of "de-regulation" which has been a huge failure no matter what industry is involved, such as:
- The S&L scandal of Reagan/Bush,
- The Enron mess and manipulation of energy markets in CA that nearly bankrupted that state;
- The Enron Loophole that removed restrictions on commodity speculation, now, oil prices are $40-60 higher per barrel as a result.
- The mortgage mess and credit meltdown;
- Airline deregulation that has given us a bankrupt industry that has become an awful experience;

Whatever else the GOP has de-regulated, it has always led to runaway financial disaster for the nation, while Wall Street and insiders get fat at our expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Excerpts:

""...in practice, those [GOP] ideas have all failed to deliver on the promises the conservatives made, and in many instances, the dogma has actually created new problems. Particularly after Hurricane Katrina, when Americans saw how hapless FEMA was, the public has begun to realize that the right's hostility toward government has produced only ineffective government [not better or more efficient government].

One can see the results in recent headlines: a Justice Department where non-conservatives need not apply; tainted spinach, jalapeño peppers and pet food; dangerous imported toys; poorly enforced environmental laws and a warming planet; the regulatory failures that led to the subprime mortgage fiasco. Meanwhile, large tax cuts (as under Reagan) have weakened the country's fiscal health without significantly improving the lot of the vast majority of citizens. And the right's enthusiasm for Bush's brand of "benevolent hegemony" in foreign policy, which insists on the U.S. right to wage preventive war and dismisses the United Nations as a band of meddlesome bureaucrats, has weakened our security -- most notably through the unnecessary calamity in Iraq -- by diluting our military capabilities and diverting their focus from genuine threats from al-Qaeda.""

The article is good reading.

My biggest pet peeve is the GOP mantra of "de-regulation" which has been a huge failure no matter what industry is involved, such as:
- The S&L scandal of Reagan/Bush,
- The Enron mess and manipulation of energy markets in CA that nearly bankrupted that state;
- The Enron Loophole that removed restrictions on commodity speculation, now, oil prices are $40-60 higher per barrel as a result.
- The mortgage mess and credit meltdown;
- Airline deregulation that has given us a bankrupt industry that has become an awful experience;

Whatever else the GOP has de-regulated, it has always led to runaway financial disaster for the nation, while Wall Street and insiders get fat at our expense.
I tried to rep you Mike but they won't let me. I don't understand when they keep telling me I must "spread reps around before I can rep someone again"...who I haven't even repped before...but, anyhow..here's a rep for you.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I tried to rep you Mike but they won't let me. I don't understand when they keep telling me I must "spread reps around before I can rep someone again"...who I haven't even repped before...but, anyhow..here's a rep for you.
I took care of it for you....

Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
Thanks

Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM

49 posts, read 95,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
He got a point from me too...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Interesting article Mike, thanks. I find the discussion to be somewhat tilted due to current circumstances. For example, if the Democrats pick up strength in Congress and the Senate, along with winning the White House, I believe you would find much conflict in proposed "new" ideas, and this would lead to the type of discussions that ended up tanking the efforts of Bill Clinton to establish national healthcare.

Just take a look at Congress, and their approval ratings. I suspect that what many folks support as concepts they would find less attractive as specific legislation.

Oddly, when you take a look at the internal workings of the Democratic Party, the DLC is clearly in retreat today. This is part of the reason that the House and Senate have had difficulty getting sufficient concensus on proposed legislation.

Finding the appropriate balance in oversight and regulation is exceptionally difficult. Typically, I think we have a national ebb and flow, and right now many have concerns about insufficient oversight. But the devil is in the details.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Thumbs down Republicans: "nasty dog food"

We are watching the demise of the GOP & after November they will be an insignificant force in American politics. Many have left [ie Ron Paul & Bob Barr] while many more will vote Democratic for the first time. Too bad the Republicans are such fools & poor sports [but somebody has to be on the bottom, right?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
We are watching the demise of the GOP & after November they will be an insignificant force in American politics. Many have left [ie Ron Paul & Bob Barr] while many more will vote Democratic for the first time. Too bad the Republicans are such fools & poor sports [but somebody has to be on the bottom, right?
lol and I do believe the bottom feeders are in our midst!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Surely the GOP has done something right?

Right?

"The belief system and finely crafted policy pitches that enabled the right to dominate the war of ideas for the past 30 years have produced a relentless succession of governing failures, from Iraq to Katrina to the economy to the environment."

Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Surely the GOP has done something right?

Right?

"The belief system and finely crafted policy pitches that enabled the right to dominate the war of ideas for the past 30 years have produced a relentless succession of governing failures, from Iraq to Katrina to the economy to the environment."
The way I see it, Iraq has met more goals than the current US Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections