Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it traitorous to not support a Presidential candidate from your home state?
Yes 0 0%
No 14 100.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this controversy. I saw an editorial opinion recently which suggested that Arizonans who don't vote for John McCain are traitors. I'm wondering if any news/opinion sources from Illinois have said the same thing about Illinoisans being traitors who don't support Obama.

Even though I plan on voting for McCain, the fact that he's from my home state of Arizona is only a tiny part of why I'm supporting him. I highly disagree that a resident of a particular state should be obligated to support a specific candidate just because he or she hails from that same state. It should be about experience, knowledge, and where the candidate stands on issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,932,626 times
It's unpatriotic to eat french fries. What do you think?

BTW it's ok to eat freedom fries

Old 08-23-2008, 01:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,065,473 times
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this controversy.

There is no controversy.

I saw an editorial opinion recently which suggested that Arizonans who don't vote for John McCain are traitors.

I guess that demonstrates that any idiot can write an editorial.

I'm wondering if any news/opinion sources from Illinois have said the same thing about Illinoisans being traitors who don't support Obama.

I doubt it, Illinois actually has legitimate newspapers, whose writers have gone on beyond the 5th grade.

"I highly disagree that a resident of a particular state should be obligated to support a specific candidate just because he or she hails from that same state."

The Constitution agrees with you. If it were "traitorous" to vote for a candidate of a different state, then why allow voting at all?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,455,957 times
I voted "No" on this poll, as did five others; and no one has voted in the affirmative yet. I would hate to think that the voters of Tennessee were being traitorous when they supported Bush over Gore back in 2000!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,706,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this controversy. I saw an editorial opinion recently which suggested that Arizonans who don't vote for John McCain are traitors. I'm wondering if any news/opinion sources from Illinois have said the same thing about Illinoisans being traitors who don't support Obama.

Even though I plan on voting for McCain, the fact that he's from my home state of Arizona is only a tiny part of why I'm supporting him. I highly disagree that a resident of a particular state should be obligated to support a specific candidate just because he or she hails from that same state. It should be about experience, knowledge, and where the candidate stands on issues.
Um, no offense, but this is kind of a silly poll. I realize that you're not the one who made the allegations of traitorship, but I don't think there's a controversy at all. I think it's more likely that the writer of the editorial you read is one of a very few select weirdos who evidently believe that Americans should feel obligated to vote for a Presidential candidate for no other reason than the fact that they hail from the same state.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you probably won't get anyone on this forum answering "Yes" to your poll question, unless they're joking around, or unless they're jokes themselves. Seeing that I live in Phoenix and have no intention of voting for McCain, I'd be interested in reading the editorial you read, if you can provide a link. I'd like to know why this Constitutionally-challenged writer feels that I should be compelled to vote for someone I think would make a pretty dang awful President, simply because he's the Senator for the state in which I currently live.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:59 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,177,564 times
It doesn't matter if the candidate is from your home state or if he or she is from Mars.
If you don't agree with the policy of the candidate, you don't vote for that person.
This is a national election,
Not a state loyalty contest.
My mother lives in my state.
If she was running for president I wouldn't vote for her.
But I still love her.
You vote for who you feel is best for our countrys future.
If Obama was from Ohio (where I live) and McCain was from Mars I would vote for McCain and have no feelings of being a traitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections