Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Yes! Finally someone is DOING something about this country's ERs being clogged up by illegal aliens and Americans without insurance who seem to think that the ER is the place they should go when their kids get sore throats and ear infections.

Michelle Obama and the hospital are not trying to talk people out of receiving medical care. They're turning people away from the EMERGENCY ROOM, who don't have EMERGENCY medical situations. ERs are for EMERGENCIES, not routine, non-life-threatening medical care. Yes, it's a sad situation that so many people in this country don't have insurance. But, it's a dangerous situation that so many people with actual medical emergencies are not getting the emergency treatment they need and deserve, because people who can't afford to go to regular doctors are filling up ERs, even when they don't have emergency medical issues.

Amen to Michelle and her hospital for doing something about this major problem. Hopefully, more hospitals will follow in their footsteps.
Wow, so you twist this into a positive when in fact it is a terrible negative.

Obama has said numerous times that NO ONE WILL GO WITHOUT HEALTH CARE under him, well, with her new way of turning people away many people will go without health care.

For your information, all it takes is one person to get turned away because they were not even looked at to drop dead on the street before they got to another hospital and it was wrong.

Michelle wants them to go elsewhere for care, but to hear Obama tell it these people are so poor they cannot even get around town.

No matter what you say, Michelle Obama is screwing over black poor people to make more profits for herself and then gain bonuses based on profits.

WHY WOULDNT SHE TAKE A DAMN PAY CUT TO HELP THESE PEOPLE? SHE IS NOT WORTH 400,000 PER YEAR TO SIT IN A HOSPITAL AND DO NOTHING.

If she was so damn important then why is she off on leave? If you are important to your employer they cannot have you not there.

If this is what they are all about, many people will die on the streets before they get elsewhere and this will start a trend at hospitals all across the nation.

The Obamas should hold their head down in shame.

And who said they were not elitist?

These people are not for you and I. Thats a fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
I wasn't aware of Michelle Obama running for ANY office, so who the heck cares?!?!?!

Could it possibly be you have nothing else on which to hang your hat? After all, one can't exactly come right out and say they don't want a black man in power, now can they? Much better to spread vicious gossip about the man's wife......

Let's stick to the issues. Lord knows there are plenty.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Personally I am delighted that an intelligent woman who seeks to help solve the problems of the community has a chance to become first lady. Because of her first hand knowledge through trying to work through the U's situation she will be that much better informed on the health care crisis. And I'm sure she has shared that information with her husband so that gives him a much better idea of what community hospitals are facing. Hopefully this will lead to a strong push for universal health care. Thank you Michelle for your service.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Wow, so you twist this into a positive when in fact it is a terrible negative.

Obama has said numerous times that NO ONE WILL GO WITHOUT HEALTH CARE under him, well, with her new way of turning people away many people will go without health care.

For your information, all it takes is one person to get turned away because they were not even looked at to drop dead on the street before they got to another hospital and it was wrong.

Michelle wants them to go elsewhere for care, but to hear Obama tell it these people are so poor they cannot even get around town.

No matter what you say, Michelle Obama is screwing over black poor people to make more profits for herself and then gain bonuses based on profits.

WHY WOULDNT SHE TAKE A DAMN PAY CUT TO HELP THESE PEOPLE? SHE IS NOT WORTH 400,000 PER YEAR TO SIT IN A HOSPITAL AND DO NOTHING.

If she was so damn important then why is she off on leave? If you are important to your employer they cannot have you not there.

If this is what they are all about, many people will die on the streets before they get elsewhere and this will start a trend at hospitals all across the nation.

The Obamas should hold their head down in shame.

And who said they were not elitist?

These people are not for you and I. Thats a fact!

Wow. Your ignorance of what's going on in the real world is astounding. It saddens me that there are people in this country who are as misguided and uninformed as you.

Bottom line: Michelle Obama has done EXACTLY what this country needs more hospitals to do...kick non-emergency patients out of ERs and send them to private practitioners and other clinics. ERs are not the place for non-emergency health care, plain and simple. Yes, it sucks that so many people are without healthcare coverage and can't afford visits to a regular private practitioner...something obviously needs to be done about it. However, it's not the job of the ERs to admit and treat people who do not need EMERGENCY medical care. In fact, when the ERs are clogged with non-emergency patients who are there for ear infections and sore throats, the patients who actually DO need EMERGENCY medical care cannot receive such care. Anyone who doesn't understand this concept is quite simply an idiot. Doesn't really get much simpler than that.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Hospitals must abide by EMTALA laws, requiring every patient have a physical assessment to determine whether or not they require emergency services. So it would be against the law to turn anyone away for non-emergent issue or lack of ability to pay, etc. Many hospitals also have an urgent care clinic next door to take care of NONemergent patients who show up in the ER.

EMTALA.COM - Legal information on EMTALA

Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post

Wow. Your ignorance of what's going on in the real world is astounding. It saddens me that there are people in this country who are as misguided and uninformed as you.

Bottom line: Michelle Obama has done EXACTLY what this country needs more hospitals to do...kick non-emergency patients out of ERs and send them to private practitioners and other clinics. ERs are not the place for non-emergency health care, plain and simple. Yes, it sucks that so many people are without healthcare coverage and can't afford visits to a regular private practitioner...something obviously needs to be done about it. However, it's not the job of the ERs to admit and treat people who do not need EMERGENCY medical care. In fact, when the ERs are clogged with non-emergency patients who are there for ear infections and sore throats, the patients who actually DO need EMERGENCY medical care cannot receive such care. Anyone who doesn't understand this concept is quite simply an idiot. Doesn't really get much simpler than that.
Again...

Obama " No one will go without health care and no one will be turned down if they become sick ". Guess he lied and I am misinformed.

FACTS SHOW THE REAL OBAMA'S LIKE IT OR NOT, you are now informed but not being honest with yourself.

Obamas are shameless to put these sick people out on the street.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
I find myself thinking what a kind and compassionate person Michelle really is. So many of these poor people have been rejected by private doctors who could give them the ongoing care and follow up that they really need to not only cure their current ills but to provide preventative care. The kind of care that rich folks and those with good insurance take for granted. Now, thanks to Michelle and those with whom she works, these poor folks will actually have their own primary care physician and not have to rely on dealing with a different doctor every time at the ER. They will still have access to the ER for REAL emergencies but will have a primary care physician for their non emergency care. And one hospital won't have to bear all the cost. It will be spread throughout the health care system in the area. Of course, if we had national health care like all other civilized countries, none of this would be necessary. But since it is, how wonderful that there was a compassionate person like Michelle to ensure that these non paying patients weren't just thrown into the street. Instead she helped develop a plan for them to actually receive BETTER care by having their own doctor. I really admire her and look forward to her bringing her intelligence and compassion to the White House.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 AM

27 posts, read 40,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I find myself thinking what a kind and compassionate person Michelle really is. So many of these poor people have been rejected by private doctors who could give them the ongoing care and follow up that they really need to not only cure their current ills but to provide preventative care. The kind of care that rich folks and those with good insurance take for granted. Now, thanks to Michelle and those with whom she works, these poor folks will actually have their own primary care physician and not have to rely on dealing with a different doctor every time at the ER. They will still have access to the ER for REAL emergencies but will have a primary care physician for their non emergency care. And one hospital won't have to bear all the cost. It will be spread throughout the health care system in the area. Of course, if we had national health care like all other civilized countries, none of this would be necessary. But since it is, how wonderful that there was a compassionate person like Michelle to ensure that these non paying patients weren't just thrown into the street. Instead she helped develop a plan for them to actually receive BETTER care by having their own doctor. I really admire her and look forward to her bringing her intelligence and compassion to the White House.
You have the same ability as Obama - make manure taste good.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
They send the non-emergency patients to regular doctors instead of treating them in ER.

I don't see the problem here. The article says they even provide them with free transportation!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Again...

Obama " No one will go without health care and no one will be turned down if they become sick ". Guess he lied and I am misinformed.

FACTS SHOW THE REAL OBAMA'S LIKE IT OR NOT, you are now informed but not being honest with yourself.

Obamas are shameless to put these sick people out on the street.
you know what sunshine chick.. this weekend i decided to look into BOTH candidates with an open mind. I came on here to try to find information about both and mostly I found people trying to TRICK others into voting for McCain by twisting facts and telling blatant lies about Obama.

This thread is another example of someone (you) trying to TRICK people into voting for McCain.

Is it not possible to get votes withouts lies, tricks, and twisting of facts?

Also, thanks to YOU and you're twisting of facts, I am definately voting for Obama.

When I researched the gist of this thread to see what the Hospital Policy was I didn't find people being thrown into the street. I found the opposite.

I would rather you had come on here and give me specifics about McCains policies rather then try to trick me into NOT voting for Obama.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections