Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
The Obama's wealth is relatively new and off of sales of Barack's book. Before coming on to the scene they lived pretty modestly so the average American should relate to the Obama family before the 100 million dollar McCain family. How does McCain call Obama an elitist and favor himself as a modest man with 7 homes worth over 13 million? A private jet? $530 ferragamo loafers? How does his lifestyle remotely mirror the average American?
Unlike a lot of obama supporters, I do not try to make mccain what he is not (nor am I voting for him fyi). It just bothers me when any politician pretends to be just like you and me (gasp!) when in fact, they are not.

Obamas wealth may be off his book, but there are questions about his house deal...perhaps a tad too sweet? At anyrate, the obamas salad days are long over (and I doubt they were ever at the point of selling plasma to make the mortgage), and it just bugs me when they, the media, and/or their supporters pretend otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 AM

479 posts, read 879,535 times
McCain's camp is the one throwing elitist darts at Obama and "how out of touch he is with Americans".
If you look at both their policies who's ideas will better represent the interest of the average American and who's ideas continues the last eight years of only aiding the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Unlike a lot of obama supporters, I do not try to make mccain what he is not (nor am I voting for him fyi). It just bothers me when any politician pretends to be just like you and me (gasp!) when in fact, they are not.

Obamas wealth may be off his book, but there are questions about his house deal...perhaps a tad too sweet? At anyrate, the obamas salad days are long over (and I doubt they were ever at the point of selling plasma to make the mortgage), and it just bugs me when they, the media, and/or their supporters pretend otherwise.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Wondering how many of you can afford two full time nanny's/house keepers?
Why do you think McCain's wealth is acceptable and Obama's isn't?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Why do you think McCain's wealth is acceptable and Obama's isn't?

Especially since Obama's wealth comes from sale of his own books while McCain's wealth comes from being married to the mob.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
MOD CUT

The topic and the question is can YOU afford 2 nannies to take care of your children?

If yes, then you are doing pretty darn well if no you are not doing so well and cannot afford it. Therefore, if you can afford two nannies to take care of your children then you are out of touch with those who cannot afford it.

McCain has no children and no nannies.

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-25-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
So nannies = elitist... Servants = ok!

The Obama's tax return states $6k spent on childcare in 2006. Here in NY daycare for 2 can easily be $1k++/mo, so that seems pretty cheap to me.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:52 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
So nannies = elitist... Servants = ok!

The Obama's tax return states $6k spent on childcare in 2006. Here in NY daycare for 2 can easily be $1k++/mo, so that seems pretty cheap to me.
I will look at it later, but I remember the write offs being more like 56,000.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,298 times
Quote:
The topic and the question is can YOU afford 2 nannies to take care of your children?

If yes, then you are doing pretty darn well if no you are not doing so well and cannot afford it. Therefore, if you can afford two nannies to take care of your children then you are out of touch with those who cannot afford it.

McCain has no children and no nannies.
Sunshine Chick, i didn't catch this thread until someone posted.

Can you explain to me how Obama is out of touch with us voters (because he has two nannies) and McCain is IN touch because he does not have kids?

Please clarify the differances for me.

Btw: I know MANY people with nannies. Maybe not TWO. THey work VERY hard to pay their nannies so they can both work full time. Also, they haven't written well received books or they very well may have TWO. They are still very down to earth people to me. MY friends live within their means which may or may not be well lower or above others. If they can afford two then god bless them.

Thanks

PS: I can afford ONE nanny. Not two. I would hope my president is alittle bit more successful then measley 'ole me.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
I will look at it later, but I remember the write offs being more like 56,000.
I posted the link earlier in the thread to his return. $6.2k. To one person. Here you go, page 16.
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...tax_return.pdf

Old 08-25-2008, 12:58 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Yes I can. My live in nanny was paid $150 a week which is $600 a month or $7,200 per year. If I had paid two people the same rate the cost would have been $14,400. To send all three of my children to daycare would have cost $21,600 per year. Even with two nannies I would save $7,200 compared to daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections