Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,026 times

Advertisements

LISTEN UP!

PEOPLE HAVE HUGE MISCONCEPTIONS AND ARE PLAYING RIGHT INTO MCCAIN"S PLAN.
McCain was leading people to believe that Obama was teaching the mechanics of sex and birth control to toddlers. He was instead infavor of a bill that taught about innapropriate touch and that helped small children identify pedophiles. If you're going to attack Obama for that go ahead. Shows your priorities.

meanwhile, abortion rates went DOWN during Clinton's administration, because it took the focus off of abstinence, and put it on birth control, resulting in fewer undesired pregnancies. In this day and age, abstinence is less practical as a general policy. Democrats open up and provide information on other methods that fit. I personally will remain abstinent until I'm married. But there is much more pressure for kids to have sex in this day and age and if they are going to either way, you might as well tell them how to do it safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I would be in an outrage if sex ed was going to be taught in my kids' school. Kindergarten? That's just getting ridiculous. Sex is not even a thought to kids at that age, nor should it be. W. Elementary school is not the right time.
Do you even know what you're talking about? It's AGE-APPROPRIATE. No one's advocating we teach 5 year-olds about intercourse!

You sounds like an involved parent, so you have probably educated your kids about good touch/bad touch, but for those who haven't, the school can cover it. That's it. Age-appropriate. It's an unfortunate fact of life that if we don't talk to our kids about their bodies, some pedophile might. I say warn them.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Do you really think some school teacher knows any more than I do on those subjects?

Sex is not an issue of "learnign" or "teaching," its a part of one's personal morals/values, and everyone's differs from each other. Personal morals/values should be handled in the home. And my kids ahould not have to have their time devoted to academics in the classroom reduced because there are other dumbass parents out there who do not sit down and tell their kids about the birds and the bees. That's not my problem. I raise my kids right...and they should not have to suffer because other parents don't do likewise with their kids.
So opt out if that is your stance. What's the problem?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Not every parents talk to their children about sex some kids like Palin kids learn the hard way when it could of been preventable such as pregnancy. When a teenager have sex they are not thinking about pregnancy until they get pregnant.

Child molesters are growing fast. Their are lots of kids getting molested,rape and do not know who they can talk to or some do not know if it is right or wrong so they keep it to themselves until they get old enough to realize they were raped then they either commit suicide or go down the wrong path in life or they become a child molester.

Kids now are getting molested in school by teachers/principals/Janitors/soccer coach/pastors/priest/doctors/nurse with all these people that children trust your child is a easy target to get molested so what is the big deal if they know the difference if touching them a certain why is wrong or right.

I think those who have a issue with this might be those who touch children the wrong way.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:38 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Great find !

Obama is caught lying again.
zzz
He is out saying that the McCain ad is false and misleading.
It is.
See Obama and the liberals do not think you and we are smart enough to teach our kids. They think most parents are losers and we need them to help us teach our kids.
Most parents aren't smart enough.
Thanks but no thanks liberals, I will teach my kids.
Then object to it. It's that easy. Make a written objection and the kid doesn't have to take the class.
Who in the world would want a liberal teacher telling you kids about sex?
I would. I don't know enough about biology to teach them myself.
No teacher had better say a word of this to my grade school kids or they will be not to happy to see me.
You should visit a grammar teacher.
It is called parents being responsible for YOUR kids. Do your damn job.

So Obama lied again, wonder what excuse will be made of this.
About what?
This could be the end of the Obama - Biden tickets dream. Not like they have a chance anyway but this is icing on the cake.
Check the bold.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,485 times
Quote:
Quote:
The ad refers to a bill Obama supported in the Illinois state Senate to update the sex education curriculum and make it "medically accurate." It would have lowered the age at which students would begin what the bill termed "comprehensive sex education" to include kindergarten. But it mandated the instruction be "age-appropriate" for kindergarteners when addressing topics such as sexually transmitted diseases. The bill also would have granted parents the opportunity to remove their children from the class without question:

Once again, sex ed does not belong in kindergarten or any grade in my opinion. Its a matter to be handled at home. Since when should the government be in charge of teaching my kids about the birds and the bees? Why don't they start devoting more time to the "3 R's???" They're not doing as well as they can with academics, yet they're going to spend time teaching my kids about sex?????
You can make an objection and your kid won't have to take the class. The government isn't teaching, the teachers are.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post

meanwhile, abortion rates went DOWN during Clinton's administration, because it took the focus off of abstinence, and put it on birth control, resulting in fewer undesired pregnancies. In this day and age, abstinence is less practical as a general policy. Democrats open up and provide information on other methods that fit.
Abortion did go down during Clinton's administration, but I believe it had more to do with the good economy at the time than anything.

The problem I have is with politicians trying to teach their moral values in school. Morals and values should be handled in the home. I do not want democrats indoctrinating my kids with their sexual values, just as I do not want republicans indoctrinating them with their values in teaching creationism and abstinence only sex ed.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
While I feel this thread is mostly propaganda (apparent anti-Obama tilt) I am against teaching kindergarten kids about sex. I'd say teach them once puberty starts.

For anyone interested in truth, read this.
Why is posting a link to the actual bill voted on by Obama propaganda? I'm not referring to McCain's ad and the links explaining it (haven't seen the ad) -- only the actual bill. The bill contains some good stuff but it is also telling in what it actually removes. . . unless the agenda is to hide actual facts.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Once again, that is something I already covered with my kids and do not want some teacher discussing with my kids. Its not my fault that other parents might be lazy idiots and don't take the time to discuss these things with their kids.
The bill allowed parents to opt out of it. Thanks to the poster who posted the factcheck link. Really clarified a lot of things. Rep points for you.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So opt out if that is your stance. What's the problem?

Its still wasted time. My kid is getting shortchanged in math, reading, science, etc, because they're wasting classroom time on what should be an issue for the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections