Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times

Advertisements

Just to be fair, we need to let the conservatives answer:

How is the McCain-Palin ticket more experienced in foreign policy than Obama-Biden? They aren't. They simply aren't. Don't you remember the clip with Leiberman whispering the correct answer to McCain as he made a blunder? They think all brown people are the enemy. They are war mongering fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,863,274 times
Extensive world travel to 70+ countries, personal relationships with world leaders and would be world leaders, deep understanding of internal politics of regions and countries of the world important to America's interests, ranking member of Senate Armed Services Committee, consistently superior judgment vis a vis Iraq. And by the way, he has a 'brown' child whom he adopted.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times
And the same could be argued about Obama and Biden, minus the adopted child. And if he is so well versed in the Arab world, why then did JL have to whisper the right answer to him? He's made so many idiotic statements that I just don't believe he knows what he is talking about. God help us if they win.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
deep understanding of internal politics of regions and countries of the world important to America's interests.

Iraq/Pakistan Border

"Common knowledge"

Sunni Awakening mixup

I realize we should not vote for a president based on YouTube gotcha soundbites, but this stuff does concern me.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,044,706 times
I don't consider myself to be a neo-con, but I hope I can still give an opinion.

I think McCain does have extensive foreign affairs experience - if nothing else just being a Senator for as long as he has anyone would pick up experience. However, IMO he has been completely myopic since our invasion of Iraq. He has been completely and totally focused on that conflict and almost nothing else. When he says thinks like it's ok if we are in Iraq 100 years, it shows he doesn't understand the Arab mentality and how they view that as an occupation - even if the Iraqic people were to want us there.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
And the same could be argued about Obama and Biden, minus the adopted child. And if he is so well versed in the Arab world, why then did JL have to whisper the right answer to him? He's made so many idiotic statements that I just don't believe he knows what he is talking about. God help us if they win.
Biden I'd agree. They come at it from different points of view but both are probably equally knowledgeable. Obama's foreign policy is too insignificant to consider, just like Palin's.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
I don't consider myself to be a neo-con, but I hope I can still give an opinion.

I think McCain does have extensive foreign affairs experience - if nothing else just being a Senator for as long as he has anyone would pick up experience. However, IMO he has been completely myopic since our invasion of Iraq. He has been completely and totally focused on that conflict and almost nothing else. When he says thinks like it's ok if we are in Iraq 100 years, it shows he doesn't understand the Arab mentality and how they view that as an occupation - even if the Iraqic people were to want us there.
We're still 'in' Western Europe after 60 years. I don't think he was intimating we'd be engaged in hostilities 100 years out. But if we have an arrangement with Iraq that allows our troops to be based there then what the other Arab countries think about it doesn't matter. As a personal note: I'm not about to listen to any Arab opinion on anything until every Arab country recognizes publicly Israel's right to exist.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,044,706 times
Quote:
We're still 'in' Western Europe after 60 years. I don't think he was intimating we'd be engaged in hostilities 100 years out. But if we have an arrangement with Iraq that allows our troops to be based there then what the other Arab countries think about it doesn't matter. As a personal note: I'm not about to listen to any Arab opinion on anything until every Arab country recognizes publicly Israel's right to exist.
I wasn't suggesting that McCain was saying that nor was I suggesting that Arab opinion should be anything to guide us, however, our leaders should not say things that like that without knowing what they are saying. That sentence alone is helping to enable the radicals with their propaganda against us.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,851,624 times
Maybe instead of just pumping money into Iraq as Bush has done we had used the vast Iraq oil wealth to rebuild Iraq the so called foreign policy of Bush/ McCain might be a different successful issue.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:25 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Quote:
Is the distinction between the relationship we have with the European Nations that have Americans based there versus the reality of occupying the Middle East, being made on a level playing field? Clearly there are distinct differences in policy, environment and security that challenge the wisdom of long term occupation in the middle east, particularly if one accepts the premise that the neighboring Countries opinions do not matter.

Senator McCain clearly is knowledgeable about foreign policy and military matters. I may not agree with his vision of what we should do next, but he is qualified to speak on these matters. Senator Obama may not have as lengthy a tenure as the Senator from Arizona, but it is disingenuous to claim he has no experience in the arena of foreign policy. Senator Biden shores up the intimate long term historical variables that the Senator should understand when making his decisions; however, the Cabinet does this for all Presidents and there's no reason to believe this will be different for either candidate should he become President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections