Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times

Advertisements

[quote=teatime;5251536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post

Read up on the differences between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. It's a psychological fact. In fact, developmentally speaking, younger people tend to be motivated best by extrinsic motivation and our society is based on this fact.
Well, that sounds like an assignment that I don't have time for right now

I will definitey keep it in mind though, to satisfy my curiosity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes, but I am talking about the same ones that think Michael Jackson is being unjustly treated and that OJ is innocent. IMO, the majority of blacks are voting for Obama, simply based on his race.
That may be so but how many 'white' voters are voting against him for that same reason? Its the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about and most won't admit even when speaking anonymously on the internet. Whether that is because they know they would lose credibility with many people or because they honestly haven't looked that deeply at their responses and motivations I cannot say.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:47 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
I guess all my time with the military might have me more hopeful. Not saying there is not some comfort separations, by home states, race etc, but these young men and women work and play together. It is an interesting thing at the pub we go to here in VB, so many young Navy folks, and you have these young ones all up dancing and singing the Irish songs, or if you go over to Abbey Road, the English songe, and if you go to La Cantita, the Spanish stuff, and if you go to clubs in Norfolk, hip. And they are all mixed together enjoying each other.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
alcohol might have something to do with that!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
That may be so but how many 'white' voters are voting against him for that same reason? Its the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about and most won't admit even when speaking anonymously on the internet. Whether that is because they know they would lose credibility with many people or because they honestly haven't looked that deeply at their responses and motivations I cannot say.
I'm going with #2, the most blatently racist people that I know are absolutely clueless to their own racism. It's similar to asking the person who everyone else knows has a drinking problem if they are an alcoholic and they say "no way, of course not!", but yet everyone else knows the truth. They are the last to know because they really don't want to know.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:07 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I'm going with #2, the most blatently racist people that I know are absolutely clueless to their own racism. It's similar to asking the person who everyone else knows has a drinking problem if they are an alcoholic and they say "no way, of course not!", but yet everyone else knows the truth. They are the last to know because they really don't want to know.
You know, just a story to relate to that. I was watching a sport with some friends. One of them who knew nothing about the sport said "I don't like that guy" pointing to the only black guy playing. I said why not? and he said "he just doesn't try hard enough"

The guy who didn't look like he was trying hard enough was one of the top 5 players on the roster.

Some people are indeed oblivious...

Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
definitely not basketball.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
alcohol might have something to do with that!
True that but with the military everybody is in the same fishbowl so they often gel. Once boredom sets in young people often look for something to fight about, you can't fight THAT system so each other often suffices.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:17 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
True that but with the military everybody is in the same fishbowl so they often gel. Once boredom sets in young people often look for something to fight about, you can't fight THAT system so each other often suffices.
Even more than the military themselves,my kids were brought up in completely integrated neighborhoods and schools. In additionl, when overseas, you are American first and black, white, hispanic second.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
No one wanted to admit this, but the fact that people just didn't trust Obama, for no reason at all, they had a bad feeling about him yet they still refused to attribute it to racism, although there was no other logical reason for their initial distrust.
No other logical reason you can see.

Distrust is a normal function, and so is discrimination. You discriminate every day against people of your own race and people of other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections