Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

I must admit that even though I'm a registered Democrat who plans to vote for Senator Barack Obama in a couple of months, Alaska Governor and prospective Vice-President Sarah Palin has truly made me swoon (in more ways than one, which says something coming from a foaming-at-the-mouth homosexual! LOL!) Even though Senator Joseph Biden is from my hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania, I truly don't feel any sort of true "connection" to him. I feel as if Senator Obama could have chosen a host of better candidates as his running mate, especially a socially conservative female that would help to draw in as much support as Senator McCain's choice of Governor Palin has brought to the Republican party. Before choosing Palin McCain's campaign was all but cooked as Obama was mopping the floor with him. Now it's a dead heat again.

What is there not to love about this woman?! I just want to run up to her and do the Tango!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
I think she's "fun" as a pop culture classic, but that's all. In 20 years we'll see her and her grandkids, and great-grandkids, on a "Where Are They Now?" program.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What is there not to love about this woman?!
What is there to love about her?

I ask this partly as another GLBTQ individual.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think she's "fun" as a pop culture classic, but that's all. In 20 years we'll see her and her grandkids, and great-grandkids, on a "Where Are They Now?" program.
I don't know about that. She seems to be genuinely a sweet-hearted woman with a passion for removing corruption from all levels of government. I just watched a CNN segment about her that was rather positive (where's that "liberal media bias, again?), and there were very, very few negatives pointed out in her character. They mentioned that she campaigned on the platform of streamlining the government in Wasilla, Alaska. She told a media outlet she would NOT hire a city manager because, more or less, "anyone can do that job," and then proceeded to hire one when she was elected. She also ran up the city's largest long-term indebtedness in its history while campaigning for re-election the platform of being a "fiscal conservative."

I agree with her 100% on abortion and gun control (or lackthereof). However I think her church is asinine for believing they can "convert" homosexuals through prayer. I've prayed and prayed for YEARS to be made heterosexual to no avail. I attempted suicide. She has tip-toed around her stance on gays, but if she does likewise believe we are mentally ill and can be "converted," then she's lost all of her glamor to me. She's going to have to be quite careful how she handles that issue as I know of a number of gay Republicans who are currently endeared to her. The "gays have cooties" crowd in this nation is rapidly being replaced by the "gays are everywhere, so might as well live with them" crowd. I hope she actually speaks out AGAINST her church's policy of conversion, as even modern science lends credibility to the notion that sexual orientation is not something that can be changed.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
What is there to love about her?

I ask this partly as another GLBTQ individual.
I'm looking beyond purely GLBTQ issues though. I'd gladly vote for a president who was against gay marriage if it meant that we'd have a sounder economy and the ability to restore our lost credibility to our allies with our foreign affairs (thank you, President Bush!) I believe anyone who votes with gay rights as their TOP issue is very, very short-sighted and foolish, and that goes to the "anti" crowd out there as well. The same can be said for abortion. With our economy being on such shaky ground and many people living in constant fear of another terrorist attack there are much more PRESSING issues to be concerned with other than "Adam and Steve."

Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
I think she's pretty normal as a person. She reminds me of some of the local businesswomen in our area, or someone who would run the school at our church, or a mother-in-law. I'd probably elect her to run our neighborhood association if she ran. I can picture her being the opening speaker for a Chamber of Commerce meeting, or doing the ribbon cutting for a new Wal-Mart. Her "slouchy meakness" during the ABC interviews was kind of cute middle-American.

Is that what you mean?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
I'm looking beyond purely GLBTQ issues though. I'd gladly vote for a president who was against gay marriage if it meant that we'd have a sounder economy and the ability to restore our lost credibility to our allies with our foreign affairs (thank you, President Bush!) I believe anyone who votes with gay rights as their TOP issue is very, very short-sighted and foolish, and that goes to the "anti" crowd out there as well. The same can be said for abortion. With our economy being on such shaky ground and many people living in constant fear of another terrorist attack there are much more PRESSING issues to be concerned with other than "Adam and Steve."
I can't argue with that, but I see so many other, unrelated negative things about her, anyway.

I would vote for a homophobic candidate if I thought he or she would be good for the country, and I'm sure I have at some point in time already. But to LOVE her, knowing how she feels about homosexuality? Perhaps her views have evolved to a degree over time, but I wouldn't say she's an ally.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,640,313 times
A registered Democrat huh? Sure you are.

Palin? Almost as much of a bore as McCain, but not quite.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,136,290 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. She seems to be genuinely a sweet-hearted woman with a passion for removing corruption from all levels of government. I just watched a CNN segment about her that was rather positive (where's that "liberal media bias, again?), and there were very, very few negatives pointed out in her character. They mentioned that she campaigned on the platform of streamlining the government in Wasilla, Alaska. She told a media outlet she would NOT hire a city manager because, more or less, "anyone can do that job," and then proceeded to hire one when she was elected. She also ran up the city's largest long-term indebtedness in its history while campaigning for re-election the platform of being a "fiscal conservative."

I agree with her 100% on abortion and gun control (or lackthereof). However I think her church is asinine for believing they can "convert" homosexuals through prayer. I've prayed and prayed for YEARS to be made heterosexual to no avail. I attempted suicide. She has tip-toed around her stance on gays, but if she does likewise believe we are mentally ill and can be "converted," then she's lost all of her glamor to me. She's going to have to be quite careful how she handles that issue as I know of a number of gay Republicans who are currently endeared to her. The "gays have cooties" crowd in this nation is rapidly being replaced by the "gays are everywhere, so might as well live with them" crowd. I hope she actually speaks out AGAINST her church's policy of conversion, as even modern science lends credibility to the notion that sexual orientation is not something that can be changed.
you better snopes her~ she is a vindictive sob that I wouldn't want anywhere in government and has a record of increasing taxes on the everyday people and running any budget into debt! The worse taxation is deffered taxation~ leaving your debt to your children!!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,283 times
Quote:
She seems to be genuinely a sweet-hearted woman . . .
She was totally invisible on the national or world scene until McCain essentially said that his campaign was total crap and plucked her from oblivion two weeks ago. Her interviews since then indicate that she has a grasp of the world situation approximating that of a 10th grader. The whole story is more of a Disney movie than real life. Pathetic that the right has been able to semi-successfully exploit this to their advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections