Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times

Advertisements

Before yesterday's vote on the bailout bill, when the leadership of both parties were supposed to be rallying their members in support, the RNC was producing an ad to run against Obama. The ad carefully avoids saying whether the bill was successful or not, because the vote hadn't taken place yet when they cut it. In fact, the ad was distributed before the vote happened. However, it does show plainly that the GOP leadership planned to hang the bill around Obama's neck.

That's been the GOP's plan all along. Pretend to work with the Dems, fake the process of trying to convince its members, hope that the bill passes, then blame the Dems for it. When the bill didn't pass, they ran the ad anyway.

That's your modern GOP, folks. Duplicitous and cowardly, deceitful and corrupt. And always, always, always party first.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
I think Pelosi's biggest mistake was in making it appear that the Dems were fully in support of this bailout. The glaring fact is that neither McCain nor the PRESIDENT could sway even a near minority of their own party. Obama was slightly smarter in holding back a little on this one.

The reality is that the majority of both parties were not in support of this big bailout and handing such power and money to the President's henchmen in a big bi-partisan rejection.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
My friends, I promise you...you watch and see.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...e-bailout.html

Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think Pelosi's biggest mistake was in making it appear that the Dems were fully in support of this bailout. The glaring fact is that neither McCain nor the PRESIDENT could sway even a near minority of their own party. Obama was slightly smarter in holding back a little on this one.

The reality is that the majority of both parties were not in support of this big bailout and handing such power and money to the President's henchmen in a big bi-partisan rejection.
Agreed. I protested against the bailout bill - I even made the local news. I'm not sure if they can tweak the current bill enough to get any more votes. I doubt a brand new bill not based on the Bush/Paulsen plan would have any chance either.

Actually, I shouldn't try to make any predictions - almost everyone who does ends up looking dumb. But I can easily see the RNC's machinations on this one.

They are not working for America. They are working for themselves.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
The way that Obama is portraying the bailout is starting to make it sound a bit better. He wants to raise the FDIC to $250,000 and that is obviously totally fair since innocent bank depositers shouldn't suffer for banks' greed and incompetence. He is selling the bill as a way that taxpayers can benefit from any future upside, and that losses will be recovered from the banks. I dunno, I'm starting to believe we can possibly do this if there are tons of safeguards to protect the taxpayers from the greed of the bankers and the corruption of the Paulson and the current administration that would be running this program. Obama says if voted in he would immediately review how the plan is being implemented and make necessary changes. If he's in charge just maybe I would trust that this could get done right. If Phil Gramm is running it under McCain, we are in big trouble. What a huge gamble right before the election. Unbelievable! American politics is just CRAZY!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Make no mistake, neither the dems nor the reps are working for anybody but themselves.
Has it been confirmed that pelosi et al tried to sneak in $$$ for ACORN in the bailout bill? What possible sense does that make?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Make no mistake, neither the dems nor the reps are working for anybody but themselves.
Has it been confirmed that pelosi et al tried to sneak in $$$ for ACORN in the bailout bill? What possible sense does that make?
Yes, it would be interesting to see a legitimate main stream source on that one. I've heard nothing at all about it in the normal media, though it seems to be all over every right wing blog existing on the web.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Obama held back? Not according to him...

"For two weeks, I was on the phone every day with [Treasury] Secretary [Henry] Paulson and the congressional leaders making sure that the principles that have ultimately been adopted were incorporated in the bill," Obama said.
Candidates say they'll probably support bailout bill - CNN.com

This would be the same bailout bill that public opinion overwhelmingly rejected and the House voted down.

Furthermore, 95 "Rebellious Democrats" also voted against the bailout bill. Are they in on this supposed 'gamble' by the Republicans too? Wow! They're wasting time while siding with the Republicans on this supposed 'gamble' AND throwing Obama under the bus - it's a twofer!

There's a good discussion on the bailout bill in another C-D forum. Read the full thread - several very well-informed posters make very good points. There's a lot to learn there...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/448267-ok-i-found-read-bail-out.html

Plus, as pointed out in another thread, a good look at why the $700 billion bailout is a bad idea...
Commentary: Bankruptcy, not bailout, is the right answer - CNN.com

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Nope. It also hasn't been confirmed that McCain tried to sneak in $$$ for all his lobbyist buddies and his hard-core gambling habit.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Before yesterday's vote on the bailout bill, when the leadership of both parties were supposed to be rallying their members in support, the RNC was producing an ad to run against Obama. The ad carefully avoids saying whether the bill was successful or not, because the vote hadn't taken place yet when they cut it. In fact, the ad was distributed before the vote happened. However, it does show plainly that the GOP leadership planned to hang the bill around Obama's neck.

That's been the GOP's plan all along. Pretend to work with the Dems, fake the process of trying to convince its members, hope that the bill passes, then blame the Dems for it. When the bill didn't pass, they ran the ad anyway.

That's your modern GOP, folks. Duplicitous and cowardly, deceitful and corrupt. And always, always, always party first.
Um, 95 Democrats voted against the bill, so your whole posting is stupid and flaws. "Pretend to work with the Dems" who cant work with themself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections