Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,935,966 times

Advertisements

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Clinton hesitant to call Obama a ‘great man’ « - Blogs from CNN.com

msnbc.com Video Player

Quote:
At one point, host Tom Brokaw asked, "Would you use the same words for [Obama] that you have used for Senator McCain, that you admire him and that you think he's a great man?"

Clinton seemed caught off-guard and responded, "Well, I don't -- look, I had my first conversation with him in my entire life in Harlem," a reference to a lunch the two had in mid-September
Quote:
(CNN)– Former President Bill Clinton was hesitant to characterize Barack Obama as a "great man" Sunday, a phrase he had no qualms using last week to describe Obama's rival John McCain.

Clinton told NBC's Tom Brokaw that it was only earlier this month in Harlem that he and Obama had their "first conversation." He said he had spoken with Obama before, but only in passing.

Clinton then explained what he meant in characterizing McCain as a "great man."

"I think his greatness is that he keeps trying to come back to service without ever asking people to cut him any slack or feel sorry for him or any of that stuff because he was a POW," Clinton said of the Republican presidential nominee.
There can be not better endorsement for all those dems undecided about who they will vote for. Bubba = stealth PUMA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Clinton hesitant to call Obama a ‘great man’ « - Blogs from CNN.com

msnbc.com Video Player

There can be not better endorsement for all those dems undecided about who they will vote for. Bubba = stealth PUMA
Our -- our nation is in trouble on two fronts. The American dream is under siege at home, and America's leadership in the world has been weakened. Middle-class and low-income Americans are hurting, with incomes declining, job losses, poverty, and inequality rising, mortgage foreclosures and credit card debt increasing, health care coverage disappearing, and a very big spike in the cost of food, utilities, and gasoline.
And our position in the world has been weakened by too much unilateralism and too little cooperation...

... by a perilous dependence on imported oil, by a refusal to lead on global warming, by a growing indebtedness and a dependence on foreign lenders, by a severely burdened military, by a backsliding on global nonproliferation and arms control agreements, and by a failure to consistently use the power of diplomacy, from the Middle East to Africa to Latin America to Central and Eastern Europe.

Clearly, the job of the next president is to rebuild the American dream and to restore American leadership in the world.

And here's what I have to say about that. Everything I learned in my eight years as president, and in the work I have done since in America and across the globe, has convinced me that Barack Obama is the man for this job.

President Clinton

Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,741 times
Quote:
Comparing Obama to Bill Clinton is about as ridiculous as trying to compare Palin to Reagan. Neither are as of yet on the level of Clinton or Reagan - if either serve as president then you might be able to try and make the comparison. Until then its more babble.

That aside, I can't help but to roll my eyes every time you post about Clinton because I just know that you were a Republican who was ready to burn the man at the stake for having sex, if you were old enough. And unless it suits your purposes to rah-rah him now you probably still despise the man.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:02 AM

It's clearly a pitiful attempt to discredit President Clinton's clear endorsement of Senator Obama to the Office of President, and in a slight of hand to also discredit President Clinton. No one in their right mind believes a senior member of the Democrat's Party is endorsing the Republican candidate beyond common courtesy.

The Op's fishing for blue Tuna in a silt pond.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Comparing Obama to Bill Clinton is about as ridiculous as trying to compare Palin to Reagan. Neither are as of yet on the level of Clinton or Reagan - if either serve as president then you might be able to try and make the comparison. Until then its more babble.

That aside, I can't help but to roll my eyes every time you post about Clinton because I just know that you were a Republican who was ready to burn the man at the stake for having sex, if you were old enough. And unless it suits your purposes to rah-rah him now you probably still despise the man.
Now isn't that the truth? I figured hell would freeze over before any republican ever gave Clinton credit for ANYTHING! Ofcourse this is simply a typical tactic used by the right to conque/divide, not gonna work this time...

Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 AM

690 posts, read 1,015,406 times
Quote:

msnbc.com Video Player
I notice this topic is pretty strong over at the PUMA site and I think you all are grasping at straws....but that is no surprise...you are all BITTER!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 AM

Bitter has become panic.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 AM

216 posts, read 290,555 times
Quote:

msnbc.com Video Player

The article went on to say that:

[Clinton then explained what he meant in characterizing McCain as a "great man."

"I think his greatness is that he keeps trying to come back to service without ever asking people to cut him any slack or feel sorry for him or any of that stuff because he was a POW," Clinton said of the Republican presidential nominee.]

I don't believe anyone would argue against this point, although, McCain did start out his campaign using his military experience.

A "great man" doesn't necessarily mean a great leader or President. Plus, Bill Clinton has a certain amount of resentment toward Obama, how could he not, he's only human.

Why are you constantly looking for ways to discredit Obama? If McCain has a better plan for Americans as President compared to Obama, just present it and stop being so trivial. Argue the issues and not the man.

Last edited by KatinNJ; 09-29-2008 at 06:51 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,024 times
Quote:

msnbc.com Video Player

I have a question: Why do people refer to Obama as Bubba? I don't understand this nickname. Can someone please explain it to me, I've seen it in many anti-Obama posts.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,802 times
Does anyone notice that Bill Clinton does not look at people when he talks to them. He is usually staring into space and goes off in long tangents. He rarely speaks in a conversational tone but instead is more of a teacher or lecturer in interviews. I think he has got kind of scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections