Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Seems after analysis, Palin spoke at a higher level than the hair-plug.

Debate analysis: Palin spoke at 10th-grade level, Biden at eighth - CNN.com

Quote:
Grade level: Biden, 7.8; Palin, 9.5 (Newspapers are typically written to a sixth-grade reading level.)

Sentences per paragraph: statistically tied at 2.7 for Biden and 2.6 for Palin.

Letters per word: tied at 4.4.

Ease of reading: Biden, 66.7 (with 100 being the easiest to read or hear), versus 62.4 for Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 03:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
I thought some people might find these links funny (or sad), given this thread:
Diagramming a Sarah Palin sentence broke our head in half - 236.com - News
http://blow.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/1...=5070&emc=eta1

Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Received this in an email:
Be afraid – or warned – and Get Out The Vote.

Editing Exam

Please, on another sheet of paper, revise these sentences and making any corrections that are needing to be made, though.

You will get one extra point for each of the following that you find:
• endearing colloquialisms
• use of the word maverick

1. [T]here have been so many changes in the conditions of our economy in just even these past weeks that there has been more and more revelation made aware now to Americans about the corruption and the greed on Wall Street.

2. And we also have John McCain to thank for bringing in a bipartisan effort people to the table so that we can start putting politics aside, even putting a campaign aside, and just do what's right to fix this economic problem that we are in.

3. And now we have to be ever vigilant and also making sure that credit markets don't seize up. That's where the Main Streeters like me, that's where we would really feel the effects.

4. I'm not one to attribute every man -- activity of man to the changes in the climate. There is something to be said also for man's activities, but also for the cyclical temperature changes on our planet. But there are real changes going on in our climate. And I don't want to argue about the causes. What I want to argue about is, how are we going to get there to positively affect the impacts?

5. We have got to clean up this planet. We have got to encourage other nations also to come along with us with the impacts of climate change, what we can do about that.

6. Also as we rely more and more on other countries that don't care as much about the climate as we do, we're allowing them to produce and to emit and even pollute more than America would ever stand for.

7. And we're building a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline which is North America's largest and most you expensive infrastructure project ever to flow those sources of energy into hungry markets.

8. And Maliki and Talabani also in working with us are knowing again that we are getting closer and closer to that point, that victory that's within sight.

9. And as for who coined that central war on terror being in Iraq, it was the General Petraeus and al Qaeda, both leaders there and it's probably the only thing that they're ever going to agree on, but that it was a central war on terror is in Iraq.

10. He has been the maverick. He has ruffled feathers.

11. And Secretary Rice, having recently met with leaders on one side or the other there, also, still in these waning days of the Bush administration, trying to forge that peace, and that needs to be done, and that will be top of an agenda item, also, under a McCain-Palin administration.

12. We will support Israel. A two-state solution, building our embassy, also, in Jerusalem, those things that we look forward to being able to accomplish, with this peace-seeking nation, and they have a track record of being able to forge these peace agreements.

13. Nuclear weaponry, of course, would be the be all, end all of just too many people in too many parts of our planet, so those dangerous regimes, again, cannot be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons, period. Our nuclear weaponry here in the U.S. is used as a deterrent. And that's a safe, stable way to use nuclear weaponry.

14. Can we talk about Afghanistan real quick, also, though?

15. Certainly, accounting for different conditions in that different country and conditions are certainly different.

16. I think tomorrow morning, the pundits are going to start do the who said what at what time and we'll have proof of some of this, but, again, John McCain who knows how to win a war.

17. Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again pointing backwards again. You preferenced your whole comment with the Bush administration. Now doggone it, let's look ahead and tell Americans what we have to plan to do for them in the future.

18. I know education you are passionate about with your wife being a teacher for 30 years, and god bless her. Her reward is in heaven, right?

19. I say, too, with education, America needs to be putting a lot more focus on that and our schools have got to be really ramped up in terms of the funding that they are deserving.

20. Education credit in American has been in some sense in some of our states just accepted to be a little bit lax and we have got to increase the standards.

21. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner.

22. My experience as an executive will be put to good use as a mayor and business owner and oil and gas regulator and then as governor of a huge state, a huge energy producing state that is accounting for much progress towards getting our nation energy independence and that's extremely important.

23. Also, John McCain's maverick position that he's in, that's really prompt up to and indicated by the supporters that he has.

24. There have been times where, as mayor and governor, we have passed budgets that I did not veto and that I think could be considered as something that I quasi-caved in, if you will, but knowing that it was the right thing to do in order to progress the agenda for that year and to work with the legislative body, that body that actually holds the purse strings.

25. But the policies and the proposals have got to speak for themselves, also. And, again, voters on November 4th are going to have that choice to either support a ticket that supports policies that create jobs.

26. An armed, nucular (sic) armed especially Iran is so extremely dangerous to consider.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I think we have found the equivalent of the female Bubba. She is Dan Quayle's lost twin... SHe sure would give comedians much to work with but I'm thinking that just isn't a good enough reason to elect her.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i am so tired of these attacks on my sarah. sarah really brings out the macho man in me. when she talks and smiles i feel young again. if you continue in this vein i shall be very upset.
signed mr rogers.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:29 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Default Palin & Bush

These two must have attended the same schools. 6 pack sarah, and we'll smoke 'em out 6 gun george.
And, is george a good speaker? not.
I for one don't want to see another cowboy, or cowgirl in the white house, I think I've had, and heard enough of this hillbilly mentality for awhile.
We need a leader, and a qualified VP, even if obama sounds like erkel ghetto speaker.
Salt n' peppa' baby!
It's about time.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Default Electable?

hey, why not?
when reagan was in office, a joke was circulated about him and ronald mc donald, implying both were clowns.
I see fodder for comedians worldwide if palin mc cain are elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think we have found the equivalent of the female Bubba. She is Dan Quayle's lost twin... SHe sure would give comedians much to work with but I'm thinking that just isn't a good enough reason to elect her.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBC STUDENT View Post
Did anyone else hear this winner use the word "un-sensical?"...(It's actually "nonsensical"); And, wow she really said: "You can't not allow..."

Why is this relevant? "Journalism" or something like that was her "MAJOR" in college...It was her FIELD OF STUDY and she cannot even speak correctly. Enough said. If she can't get that right, let's not even talk about her in one of the highest offices in government.

As Jack Cafferty once stated, "...If [the thought of her as VP] doesn't scare the hell out of you then it should."

Jack Cafferty Tells Us How He Really Feels About Sarah Palin
That is why she attracts people like these:

YouTube - Central Florida News 13 - Obama Sign In Yard

Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM

19 posts, read 26,351 times
Lightbulb Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
And the use of the word "there" after half of her sentences drives me nuts as well, ie: "up in Alaska there.(full stop)".....geez she sounds like a backwoods hick....

Exactly! I mean as a politician ...THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...you better have an amazing command not only of the English language and expressing it, but rhetoric and significant dialogue. Our administration has suffered enough embarrassment with Bush.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM

19 posts, read 26,351 times
Cool AAAAND you're another winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That's not an argument, it is a logical fallacy. Yet another attempt to slander away from the content. Look, if you want to disagree with her position on something, knock yourself out, but this petty grammar attack BS is childish, ignorant, and to be honest, plain stupid.

Um, GENIOUS: Again, I reiterate grammar as a journalism MAJOR--your DISCIPLINE-- is something that defines how well you accomplished your field of study. Her grammar is just one facet that indicates how much she LACKS INTELLIGENCE. SHE ACTUALLY WENT TO SCHOOL FOR THIIIIIIIIS!!!! SHE GOT A DEGREE IN THIS FIELD AND HER COMMUNICATION SKILLS STILL SUCK! IMAGINE THAT SHE DIDN'T EVEN GET A DEGREE IN POLITICAL SCIENCE OR SOMETHING RELEVANT TO BEING IN GOVERNMENT! And she's up on the ticket for Vice President??? GET IT NOW? Absurd!

I mean if she was like Bush (who WASN'T a journalism/communications major,) fair enough--you kind of have an excuse to sound like an idiot hick. BUT COME ON, THESE PEOPLE ARE REPRESENTING OUR COUNTRY AND US! In the words of Palin, "WE CAN'T NOT ALLOW THAT." = "We Can't Allow That."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections