Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So how do we protect the little fetuses from the back-alley coathanger butchers that will set up shop if the anti-choice set had their way about it?

Abortions are going to happen, no matter what.
That's the number one reason why I'm pro-choice. The best way to prevent abortions is through education, not laws. I wish women never had abortions, but it's not going to happen. We can reduce the amount of women having abortions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:53 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I'm actually pro-choice, I think abortion is wrong and would never suggest it to someone as an option, but it's a personal decision. There's even sometimes when it can be a necessary medical procedure. Very tough decision in cases of rape and incest too. But I'm a man, and quite honestly haven't ever been very vocal about my thoughts on abortion. It just doesn't affect me like it would a woman.

My biggest concern about abortion is what the future holds, especially whether people will be able to have abortions based on genetic tests. That's why I was curious about your opinion.
And as a gay man, I will and have never had to decide this issue either. I never will. So for me, I think that people should have as many options to steer the course of their lives as they see fit. That is the ultimate freedom and the perfect government would only do that. It would not interfere with people's ability to make any choice they deem necessary.

There are some instances where gov't needs to hold things in balance. As a society, we tend to agree on what those are and have created a system to discourage and punish them. An issue like abortion affects two living beings will all the rights afforded them by their government. A fetus does not get a voice.

To argue differently, you must redefine the point where a collection of living homo sapien cells are protected by the rights other humans have. It is either at conception or birth. At birth, we must protect the fetus at all costs including rape and incest. Neither of those arguments change the fact that the fetus has rights. You also can't approve of any for of abortion even if the mother's life is at stake. So then you have violated the rights of the mother. The best option, IMO, is to allow abortions and give the rights to a fetus at birth. Therefore, I would also say that abortions should be legal until birth.

You can still say that LIFE begins at conception, but not the PERSON.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
While I believe abortion should be illegal I am talking about as a convenient form of birth control that many girls and women have been using it for. ("Oops, I'm pregnant, let's just run into this clinic and remove the problem")
That's the number one thing that makes me sick about abortion, when it's used as a birth control option. There's plenty of people looking to adopt a baby.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
While I believe abortion should be illegal I am talking about as a convenient form of birth control that many girls and women have been using it for. ("Oops, I'm pregnant, let's just run into this clinic and remove the problem"). As far as abortion in a hospital setting where the mother's life is at risk or in the case of rape or incest, I agree that it should be a legal option....but only in those extreme circumstances. So, I guess this is the grey area of the issue, legal only for medical professionals in extreme cases, with clearcut definitions of "extreme cases".
It's not a gray issue. If life begins at conception, which I believe, when does it get the rights of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? At birth or at conception? There is no middle ground.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
While I believe abortion should be illegal I am talking about as a convenient form of birth control that many girls and women have been using it for. ("Oops, I'm pregnant, let's just run into this clinic and remove the problem").
I'm not a supporter of using abortion as a form of retroactive birth control. The problem is that many anti-choice politicians are also against birth control, contraception and sex education. These people are adding to this problem. "Abstinence-only education" is a failure. Look no further than the Palin household for evidence.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
At conception, of course.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
So should five-day-old embryos have a say if they want to be "liberated" from their mother's womb?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Ok. So you choose no abortions for any reason. There can be no gray area otherwise you are sanctioning murder of an innocent fetus/person for the personal gain of another individual with the same rights as that in her womb.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
They obviously cannot speak up for themselves and should be protected and cherished from conception until they have reached adulthood.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So should five-day-old embryos have a say if they want to be "liberated" from their mother's womb?
The body sometimes does that without our consent. I honestly do not believe a fetus has rights until birth. It's the natural boundary since I don't think they have rights at conception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections