Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:00 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me why if I dont support Obama I am labeled a racist/bigot/fascist/Nazi, etc? I seen on this forum countless times that if someone even dares to question Obama he/she is then labeled a racist or one Obama supporter even posted something along the lines of "instead of making up crap why dont you just come out and say you wont vote for a Black man?" when the poster in question dident even mention race in his post. Why is it that the Obama supporters just cant accept people having a dissenting opinon?

Did it ever occur to the Obama supporters that I have more then enough reasons to oppose Obama without even considering his race?

Regardless of which candidate we support, Obama or McCain; I think we can all find more then enough reasons for our support or opposition without even bringing up race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,409 times
I believe that calling people those names is not necessary. I support Obama, and I support your right to support McCain. I believe both sides have reasons for their support. We are each looking for a different America.

Having said that, I also believe both sides have their lunatic fringe. Those are the ones who call people by names like Nazi. I also believe the lunatic fringe on both sides often veil their true feelings which might include racism on the part of McCain supporters or ageism on the part of Obama supporters--and who knows what else. Won't you be glad, like I will be, when all of this is over?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Then you have those like me that see little difference between the 2. about the only difference between them is age and color. It is easier to focus on his color as a difference than say, his voting record. This is the only election I can recall where it won't make a difference if your candidate loses as they are almost identical.
We muse in our house that it would be amusing if Obama thumbed his nose at Repubs after the election and said something about them not supporting him even though he was one of them. hmmm there is something to ponder, not only the first black preisdent but to have him be a repub as well... What would the Repubs say iif he switched parties?
I think we have really evolved to one party... the corprocrats, those that are lead and owned by large corporations.

I will stick with my independent candidate, at least I know his stands are something I agree with.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
I agree with the OP whole heartedly. Rep for you.

I am so tired of the race card being thrown out there at every turn towards anyone that doesn't support Obama.

On the other hand, we also have to look and see who is bringing up race all the time. I'll bet you'll find it is a few people doing it most of the time. Unfortunately, it brings the rest down, just like one bad apple will.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why if I dont support Obama I am labeled a racist/bigot/fascist/Nazi, etc? I seen on this forum countless times that if someone even dares to question Obama he/she is then labeled a racist or one Obama supporter even posted something along the lines of "instead of making up crap why dont you just come out and say you wont vote for a Black man?" when the poster in question dident even mention race in his post. Why is it that the Obama supporters just cant accept people having a dissenting opinon?

Did it ever occur to the Obama supporters that I have more then enough reasons to oppose Obama without even considering his race?

Regardless of which candidate we support, Obama or McCain; I think we can all find more then enough reasons for our support or opposition without even bringing up race.
It's ridiculous, isn't it?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Just to throw a little accelerant on this fire. I do not think that people that do not support Obama can be assumed to be racist. I think they can be assumed to be fools.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
It was inevitable that with a black candidate for President, the crazies would come crawling out from under their rocks. We've seen it before, in congressional and local elections. It's not new. The thing that's different this time is that one of the major party's candidate for President is someone who isn't a white male.

If Clinton had gotten the nomination, it would have been sexism.

If Richardson had gotten the nomination, it would have been racism.

I think what has made this particular election so nasty at times is a combination (or collision?) of two factors:

[1] A non-white candidate. Sorry folks, but there are still plenty of racists out there, and they haven't been shy about expressing their hatred.

[2] A "win-at-all-costs" campaign strategy employed by the McCain campaign. We've seen it before, in 2000 and 2004, and many of the tactics are exactly the same.

You add the "win-at-all-costs" campaign on top of the genuinely racist attitudes of far too many people, and what you get is combustible. And then the lines get blurred between those opposing Obama for racist reasons and those merely falling for this year's over-the-top Republican campaigning, and it's far too easy for Obama supporters to tar all those opposed to Obama for either of these reasons with the same racist brush.

Unfortunately, those who oppose Obama for legitimate reasons - views, record, experience, etc. - and who favor McCain over Obama for these same reasons, are simply drowned out by all the noise of division and hatred ... or worse, they are tarred with that same racist brush.

I wish McCain had run his campaign as the McCain of 2000, a man many of us really respected. Had he done so, the racists would have clearly been a separate group, easily distinguished and thus easily ignored.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,666 times
I've been on this board for a long time, and I don't ever recall seeing anyone labeled a racist, UNLESS they had peppered their post with comments about' "monkey", "baboon", etc. While I agree that there is nothing wrong with using any candidate's middle name, it's the way in which Republican outliers use it.

OTOH, when someone says McCain is erratic, it's automatically assumed that it's ageism. But what else would you call a man who changes economic positions and campaign strategies more often than most of us change socks?

golfgod

Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just to throw a little accelerant on this fire. I do not think that people that do not support Obama can be assumed to be racist. I think they can be assumed to be fools.
assumption
–noun
1. something taken for granted; a supposition: a correct assumption.
2. the act of taking for granted or supposing.
3. the act of taking to or upon oneself.
4. the act of taking possession of something: the assumption of power.
5. arrogance; presumption.
6. the taking over of another's debts or obligations.
7. Ecclesiastical.
a. (often initial capital letter) the bodily taking up into heaven of the Virgin Mary.
b. (initial capital letter) a feast commemorating this, celebrated on August 15.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
For the same reason if you don't support McCain you are a:

Communist
Terrorist
Arugula eating elitist
Egghead
Angry Atheist who hates Christians
Out of touch city slicker
Dead and registered to vote by Acorn
etc..

Both sides have their idiots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections